• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski poles

steepsanddeeps

Certified Ski Diva
Hi As long as they fit properly, I have never thought that ski poles matter much (for general resort skiing, blacks and bumps) I don't think I would like the click in system other than that please share your thoughts on what differences expensive poles make?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For certain, durability. Most rental poles end up bent. My straps have frayed and that eventually spelled the end to my poles after apx 7000 hrs of use and abuse. The baskets were still attached and the poles totally straight.

Then there are other factor like swing weight and balance points and narrower profiles which reduce drag.

Adjustable straps are big selling point as I switch from thick mittens to light gloves and use my straps the same way I would have them if nordic skiing where proper tension is important.

The ability to switch out the baskets from wide pow basket to low profile racing basket or even touring baskets is pretty sweet too.

Also some come with touring foam on the upper shaft which can be so nice for longer side hill traverses in deep snow like we have going back in bounds at my area.

Finally, for many the biggest bonus of some poles is the adjustable length. This is especially true for bumps, or carving versus steep powder.

Jilly

Staff member
My Gabel carbon fibres are going on 6 years. I have a pair of Goode carbon fibre that are probably 15 years old. They need new grips. Both pairs could use a paint job.

I have a pair of the Leki Triggers and am not impressed.

So better poles - longer life to all the components.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi As long as they fit properly, I have never thought that ski poles matter much (for general resort skiing, blacks and bumps) I don't think I would like the click in system other than that please share your thoughts on what differences expensive poles make?
Only relatively expensive poles I've bought in the last decade are adjustable poles. The first pair were too cheap and really didn't work well. I got better adjustable poles later. Still use them a fair amount on trips out west, mostly because I in better shape and become a solid advanced skier. So being able to change the length based on terrain or for a short in-bounds hike or traverse (at Alta) is handy.

For skiing at small hills in the southeast, I've bought poles on sale. Considered a pair of bamboo poles because they are very light and flexible. Those are around $100. Never could decide on what length. Since I fly for most ski trips, decided against the idea.

I have friends with the click-in system. Not for me purely from a personality standpoint.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I love me Leki poles with the straps that click in. I bought my first pair around 2015 and then purchased a second recently because I wanted a shorter length. It's not just the strapless component, I also really like how light they are and their swing weight. And yes I do love the straps, I just feel more connected to my poles and since I wear large mittens most of the time it is waaaaaay quicker for me getting off the chairlift and snapping in than when I used to try and fiddle with getting my mittens through straps.

I don't think I'd ever go back to regular strapped poles personally. I use regular strapped Lekis for AT, but only because they are adjustable and my downhill pairs are not. I will eventually probably buy a pair of adjustable strapless as well, but haven't felt the need yet since I don't skin very regularly, maybe only a few times per season right now.

Soujan

Angel Diva
+1 for Leki trigger. Convenient to take on and off for the lift ride. I also feel more connected to the poles. Feels like I am able to move the poles faster.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh I am totally here this pole info! I am super intrigued by pole selection, particularly grip choice. I currently have straight grip (no idea if it’s called that), and I see pistol grip and ummm what to call the other one, like finger grooves. Do those who wear mittens like pistol and those who wears gloves prefer the groovy?

Jilly

Staff member
Not sure what you're calling "pistol grip". I think "groove" is a more "contoured" as some have only the index finger and some have all five.

When I think "pistol grip" I'm thinking these: AKA "thumb breaker grips".

s-l1600.jpg

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I only have cheap poles, but I loved having adjustable kids' poles (Goode poles that go between 90-110cm) this season as I was finding my poles a bit long. I like the lighter swing weight, adjustability and smaller grip, and will likely keep them unless I go to the Leki trigger system.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not sure what you're calling "pistol grip". I think "groove" is a more "contoured" as some have only the index finger and some have all five.

When I think "pistol grip" I'm thinking these: AKA "thumb breaker grips".

View attachment 19734
kind of like rear entry ski boots - awful.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hahaha @Jilly ok I’m like the worst and describing grips! I recently heard someone refer to one of the grips that I cannot describe in an effective way as a pistol grip. I just googled what a pistol looks like and I don’t even understand the reference.
However it does seem to be a mitten vs glove thing.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m really torn these days between an adjustable set or a classic set like the Scott Sun Valley. I think I like the look and feel of a heavier aluminum pole - currently not what I use though.

kcotrone

Diva in Training
I love me Leki poles with the straps that click in. I bought my first pair around 2015 and then purchased a second recently because I wanted a shorter length. It's not just the strapless component, I also really like how light they are and their swing weight. And yes I do love the straps, I just feel more connected to my poles and since I wear large mittens most of the time it is waaaaaay quicker for me getting off the chairlift and snapping in than when I used to try and fiddle with getting my mittens through straps.

I don't think I'd ever go back to regular strapped poles personally. I use regular strapped Lekis for AT, but only because they are adjustable and my downhill pairs are not. I will eventually probably buy a pair of adjustable strapless as well, but haven't felt the need yet since I don't skin very regularly, maybe only a few times per season right now.

Which Leki poles do you have? I’m trying to decide which to get (have the Leki mitts). Thanks!

mustski

Angel Diva
I use the Leki trigger poles for most resort days. I did recently buy some adjustable poles to play around with pole length. I’m trying to figure out how pole length affects my skiing in different terrain.

I love the trigger poles because they are so easy!

newbieM

Angel Diva
Hahaha @Jilly ok I’m like the worst and describing grips! I recently heard someone refer to one of the grips that I cannot describe in an effective way as a pistol grip. I just googled what a pistol looks like and I don’t even understand the reference.
However it does seem to be a mitten vs glove thing.
Pistol grip is usually a fencing reference, when you fence there are two types of grips - pommel and pistol. In case you were curious where it came from :smile: Love this thread.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone have any poles they like with really slim grips? I am petite and have really small hands + bulky mittens and I sometimes have trouble keeping a good grip on my poles.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Does anyone have any poles they like with really slim grips? I am petite and have really small hands + bulky mittens and I sometimes have trouble keeping a good grip on my poles.
I got the Swix W2 poles from Ski Essentials on sale during the summer. Used them for the first time last week. Grips were fine for my small hands. I most use crab mitts (thumb and index finder), sometimes with a battery pack liner that makes them fairly bulky. The grips are spiral so there is a Left and Right pole.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have these poles. Not sure how the handles compare to the adult version, but I really like them. Thought they were a great deal for being adjustable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna