• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski pants with no liners

kiki

Angel Diva
I recall a discussion on this before but can't find it. I've always bought lined snow pants. I have lost some weight so needed to go down a size and found a beautiful north face pair in hot pink on clearance . When they arrived i realized they are perfect.... except no lining. What do you wear under neath? In my lined ones i already layer two pairs of icebreaker base layer, do i layer more? Or something different? They are beautiful and i love them so want to figure out how tomake them work.

Jilly

Staff member
A heavy polar fleece pant. Sierra Design, maybe Mark's might have some too. Same type of fleece as a mid-layer. I'll go see what MEC might have.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha, I have been looking for some pants with no loner or insulation for the super warm spring skiing we get in So cal. Unlined pants are tough to find especially when you won't pay full price. What northface pants did you get and what specifically is on the inside, just mesh or nothing?

zoomamyd

Angel Diva
My favorite baselayer is a pair of 3/4 length fleece-lined tights. Mine are from Mammut, but I'm blanking on the model name. I think plenty of brands make similar. I love that they are cozy, but don't get in the way of my boots!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki does snartwool do a thick fleece pant or is that another brand

The Smartwool I have is midweight, I'm not sure if they do some kind of heavy weight as well. The thick fleece pant I have is from Hot Chillys, I don't thunk they are meant to be 3/4 length, but they are short enough on me and stretchy so I can make them work.

elemmac

Angel Diva
What do you wear under neath?

My favorites to wear under a shell pant are my Under Armour 4.0 Base Layer (for colder days) or Under Armour Tactical Infrared ColdGear (for less cold days), I will generally layer an extra compression short (just above the knee) to keep the tush and thighs a little warmer. For REALLY cold days I have a pair of North Face Ventrix Knickers that I just got...wore them once so far, and really like them. I have a number of 3/4 base layer pants that I wear occasionally, and I prefer that length vs. the full pant. But I like the thickness and warmth of the two Under Armour ones mentioned above that I just cuff them (keep meaning to just get them hemmed, but haven't yet).

In my lined ones i already layer two pairs of icebreaker base layer, do i layer more? Or something different?

I would say different rather than more. Go with thicker, fleecier base layers rather than more base layers. Too many layers on the bottom becomes restrictive IMO.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto here. I wear softshell pants with no liner. In normal cold temps I wear a wool base layer from REI. On a bitter cold day at Jay last year I bought a microfleece base layer from Hot Chilis (I think) and they worked great.

kiki

Angel Diva
Just circling back around on this. Have checked out the links and items mentioned. I currently wear 1-2 layers of icebreaker merino base layer pants underneath my insulated ski pants (yes, i am a wimp!!! )

So to have the same warmness i think i need a midlayer that can go over my baselayer and under my unlined ski pants. Also i think the lining in my ski pants is pretty thick and cozy squishy so gives me a bit of padding when i fall.

I think the mec pants jilly mentioned before may work though reviews online show lots of issues with fit and comfort...(?)

Clearly i will not buy unlined ski pants again but i have these and they fit...and they are high quality and gortex ...i don’t fit any of my other ski pants now so feeling a little desperate.....trying to avoid spending a ton of money on another pair of gortex lined pants, sigh

I did look at these, has anyone used the capilene patagonia pants below
https://www.patagonia.ca/product/wo...rs#tile-6=&prefn1=size&prefv1=M&start=1&sz=24

Jilly

Staff member
@kiki - check out Mark's Work Wearhouse. I was looking in one of the stores and I think they've brought back some of the thick polar fleece pants. I have a pair from at least 10 years ago that I wear on really cold days. Price will be better too!!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jilly is right, don’t just limit yourself to things marketed for skiing. One of my favorites for layering last year was a crop legging from Old Navy that you can often find on sale for around $12- the high-rise elevate soft brushed compression crops.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear a thin base layer under my lined pants too - 32degree brand from Costco for $6.99! When I need something warmer, I wear light weight fleece pants as base - mine were from JCrew and they weren’t even for exercising. My experience is not how thick the fleece is but how tight/fitted/close to the skin it is.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did look at these, has anyone used the capilene patagonia pants below
https://www.patagonia.ca/product/wo...rs#tile-6=&prefn1=size&prefv1=M&start=1&sz=24
I have them in mid-weight and that’s all I wear under my shell pants. The mid-weights are pretty thin (but I run very warm, so they work for me). I know the thermal weights are thicker, but if you need to wear two baselayers under lined pants to be comfortable, I don’t think the Patagonia thermal weights will be enough warmth for you if you’re looking for a single layer solution.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna