• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Ski Pant size!! 1st Timer!

ttower89

Diva in Training
I need help! I am going skiing for the first time ever (somewhere around lake tahoe). I have found an obermyer ski jacket that fits and I like.. however I am having issues finding a pair of ski pants. I am from Oklahoma and we do not have many places that sell ski stuff for me to try on. I have tried on the North Face, obermyer, roxy, and Burton ski pants. Every single one I feel like I have the same issue. The size XS fits good(but maybe little too tight if I want to have a couple of layers on under) and the size Smalls fit way too big in the waist area. (and I have tried on ones where there is Velcro on the side. That helps a little with making the size smalls fit better but I am still nervous I might be pulling them up alot). Please help on any recommendations(brands, which size I should go with, even what I really should or should not wear under the ski pants!) Thank you so much in advance!!

elemmac

Angel Diva
@ttower89 - Without having local shops, it's definitely tough to find pants, it's completely trial and error. A few thoughts:

- Make sure you try them on with the clothing you think you'll be wearing under them. If they're insulated, I generally just wear one pair of long underwear (mid-weight baselayer), or a pair of running tights. If it's really cold, you'll want to consider fleece lined tights. If your pants don't have insulation (shell only), you'll want to wear a second layer (a running tight and a fleece tight is my personal favorite combo). If you don't already own something tighter to fit under, any normal sweatpant will work (but make sure you avoid cotton), but you may need to size the pants up a bit to accommodate.

- DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT TUCK YOUR UNDER LAYERS INTO YOUR BOOTS. Either get 3/4 length base layers, or roll them up above your boots. Any seams inside your boots is uncomfortable, cause pinch points, can cause blisters, and can quickly make for a terrible experience.

- Personal preference...if you're in between pant sizes, 99% of the time I'd go up.

- On the note of a waist that's too big, there's few options...get bib pants (then it doesn't matter how big the waist is), get pants that have suspenders, get pants with belt loops and wear a lightweight belt with them (personal favorite is Arcade stretchy belts).

MissySki

Angel Diva
How about trying a pair with a bib or suspenders, if you haven’t already? That way the waist doesn’t matter as much. Another thought is LL Bean, I find they run a little big in much of their clothing, so perhaps an xs would work and still leave a little room for layers.

As for what to wear underneath, there are an endless number of options. You just don’t want cotton! I also stick to 3/4 length layers because I don’t want anything in my boot except a thin wool sock. For warmer days or under insulated ski pants I usually wear a cw-x compression layer. On a really cold day or under a shell pant I’ll also add either a midweight wool layer to that or even go up to a heavyweight fleece layer.

Jilly

Staff member
I have your problem with the waist. By the time I get something to fit the hips, the waist is too big. I just use the velcro adjusters on the pant that fits in the hips.

You've got lots of info on base layers above.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even though I’m in Florida, I have a slight obsession with ski pants. It’s frustrating that sizes are all over the place so I can empathize. I purchased a pair of suspenders last year for a pair I own with larger waist. I then grabbed some cute bibs to add to my growing collection. I’m going to point you straight to Columbia. You can get them at a Columbia outlet or Dick’s Sporting Goods. Most big box sports stores will carry them. When all else fails, buy from their website. Their fits are spot on and usually grabbing a pair just right and a larger size for bulkier layers won’t break the bank. I only wear one baselayer bottom regardless of temp so I’m of little help on that subject.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
In addition to body shape, the type of fit you prefer comes into play here. In all pants I struggle with the hips/waist situation. In ski pants I love a slightly sloppy fit as I want to layer without worry and have excellent mobility. I am a Patagonia fiend - they fit super roomy in the thigh and hip and have great waist adjustment and a slightly longer inseam that works for me. They may be similar to The North Face fit though. REI has a great promo on the insulated Snowbelle pant:
https://www.rei.com/product/118154/patagonia-insulated-snowbelle-pants-womens

The Obermeyer jackets I have tried are quite streamlined so perhaps look for something that is a slim style if that is what you prefer:
https://www.evo.com/shop/ski/pants/womens/fit_slim

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Being that you are between an xs and a s, you may have some success with kids pants. The proportions are just different, so they might be exactly what you need. This can help save money too, and, if you're petite, can be a lifesaver for length. You definitely don't want to ski over your pants leg!

For base layers, my #1 recommendation is 3/4 length workout leggings. You'll use them outside of skiing, and there are a ton of options, all with stay dry fabric. This time of year, you can find things like under armour cold gear or Nike hyperwarm, but I very rarely if ever find this necessary with insulated ski pants.

I will also take this opportunity while we're discussing gear to remind you not to forget about a helmet! You only get one noggin, take care of it!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you end up going for a belt, I'm a big fan of Arcade. Developed by a pro skier, stretchy and secure - it does a good job of keeping the waist in place without pinching or binding.

Does the entire pant feel a little small, or is it just in the waist or hips? Each brand has it's own "expression of fit" where they're built on a curvier or straighter spec.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I wear an arcade belt with my pants, too, and it's great. The pants have the Velcro sides, too, but the belt gets rid of the gap in back.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to add another vote for trying bibs, I LOVE mine!! I've always had your problem too, ex-figure skater and so by the time I find something that fits my hips it's way too big in the waist....with my bibs, I don't need to worry about that!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also wear a stretchy belt with ski pants :smile: I haven't heard of the arcade ones but I didn't even realise they were a thing until I saw one clearanced in a mons royale shop, and just bought that. It's great! Also I have a couple pairs of (insulated) pants that are XS, they're maybe a little snug around the hips but because ski pants are often pretty well articulated, I have no issues with movement in them. That said I've picked up a discount pair of shell bibs and I've sized up to a S with those. Haven't received them to try them on yet but for once the waist won't matter at all, and they'll have more room to layer if I need to! I'm quite excited for them haha.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had a seamstress add an additional belt loop for gapping at the back waist. Was an easy and cheap fix for pants that were “almost right”. In case you find something you like but just might need a little tweaking. You will puncture the membrane in “gore” types of waterproofing with stitching so probably best for soft shell/non membrane type fabrics and very minor changes.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had good luck ordering a bunch of pants I found on sale at Sierra Trading Post a couple of years ago. I knew I’d be sending some back, but I hoped at least one would fit. It’s one price to send the whole lot back. I was lucky and really like the Obermeyers I ended up with. I have a number of good under layers from Lands End and Beans, both of which often have good discounts.

mustski

Angel Diva
I am not a fan of belts so I really like the Columbia Bugaboo pants. They seem to fit a half size bigger and have the velcro waist adjustments. If you can find those the XS will fit comfortably and allow room for a base layer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly