• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Lifts We Hate

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Not only are the lifts at Elk Mt (PA) excruciatingly slow, but they do have one or two without bars. We've actually passed on skiing there a couple of times last year because of the lifts. :(

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Riding chair J1 at June Mountain down to the parking lot from the lodge when there’s not enough snow cover (with no bar except a vertical one in the middle) is scary every time.
I found some pics for those who are curious:
https://liftblog.com/j1-june-mountain-ca/

And yes, us Californians don’t take our bars nearly as seriously as the east coast.

Yes, I've done that lift. It is NOT fun.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vermont is the only state that requires chairlift users to ride the lift with the restraint bar lowered.

Wow. We were wondering why EVERYONE at Killington rose with the bars down. In California it’s always considered very optional.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I can't tell you how many times I have almost been hit on the head by folks (non Californians) putting the bar down with no warning. Personally, I get a bit of vertigo and like the bar down but ALWAYS will say "ok to put bar down".... Other folks automatically put the bar down with NO warning..... they are not from California. And skiing in Europe I totally am ready and expect it.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually ski with a smallish backpack—snacks, water, extra clothes (I have kids lol) so I have taken to saying “Do you mind if I put the bar down, with this bag I feel like I am perched up here at the front edge.” I’m not really—but makes for good a excuse, well where you can leave the pack on at least it does...

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^Whoah. That looks like the perfect pack for lift riding. No loose straps. Unique and very functional profile. Well-done web design as well.

It weighs 25 oz. That's not much for a backpack, right?

Jilly

Staff member
I have one and It's very well built. I didn't even know I had it on. Camera gear in the top pocket.

Around here you have to take off the backpack and place on your lap.

marzNC

Angel Diva
^^Whoah. That looks like the perfect pack for lift riding. No loose straps. Unique and very functional profile. Well-done web design as well.

It weighs 25 oz. That's not much for a backpack, right?
I got the Kulkea Micropack after checking it out at the Boston Ski Expo. Works well to carry everything I want at large destination resorts with multiple bases. That's when I like to keep stuff with me beyond what fits in pockets.

https://www.kulkea.com/product/ski-backpack-micro-pack/

MissySki

Angel Diva
No, the Micropack is not designed to carry skis. Wouldn't hold enough for a backcountry uphill climb. I have another pack for that, although I only do short hikes in-bounds (5-20 min) so I usually use the Mountain Goat carry straps instead.

Oh yes, I didn’t mean for backcountry, just shorter in bound hikes like Longshot at Snowmass etc. I have the strap from Aspen Highlands also, though I need to refresh myself on YouTube with how to use it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh yes, I didn’t mean for backcountry, just shorter in bound hikes like Longshot at Snowmass etc. I have the strap from Aspen Highlands also, though I need to refresh myself on YouTube with how to use it!

As I've gained experience with skiing out west and gotten into better shape in the last 5-6 years, I'm less likely to use a small backpack at smaller resorts like Alta or Taos. I like the MicroPack for resorts that are spread out like Snowmass or Big Sky when it's likely that I won't be anywhere near the base where I boot up in the morning until done for the day.

For hikes like Catherine's or Longshot, I'm more likely to just carry my skis these days.

For the hike at TSV with my Ski Week group last Feb, I was very glad I had the Mountain Goat. It's a short hike to locals (5-10 min), but there is one very steep section where stopping is not really an option. For a flatlander, it's a lot more work to hike at over 11,000ft. Especially since I'm petite and the steps in the snow are set up for average size adults.

@marzNC, can you wear a backpack and use the carry straps? How do those fit together?
The only time I had my little backpack (11L) and used the carry straps was a while back at Alta for Catherine's (5-10 min) hike. I just put the backpack in front for when using the straps.

JessIsTryingToSki

Certified Ski Diva
Becker at Snowbasin. It's a conveyor belt load.

I also hate Middle Bowl at Snowbasin. It's too fast and I'm terrified it's going to take out my knees. I ALWAYS ask them to slow it down.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that first video of the Roca Jack is being narrated by Mike Rogan, head coach for the PSIA National Team for years. I could be wrong, but it sounds like his voice and he has a connection with Portillo. Of course it's easy for him.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly