• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Lift Conversations?

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, also, I don't like the "what do you do" question, for multiple reasons. I've been un/underemployed for the better part of the past two years, and it has sucked, and whether it's real or imagined, I don't like feeling like people hear that and assume I'm a total loser. When I was regularly employed, it was breathtaking how many people had to share their strong opinions about what I did. I used to work in tobacco control, and OMG, the people who had all the answers about how to get people to quit smoking, and/or keep kids from starting. I'm all, seriously? I do this FOR A LIVING, people study this FOR A LIVING, and you think that your personal experience and insight is so speshul that no one has ever thought of it before? So you're going to sit here and tell me how to do my job? Gah. Hated it. I've decided that I'm going to start lying in response to that one. I need to figure out the most esoteric, boring thing ever that will cause people to change the subject and say I do that.

I feel you! I work in fundraising for a local land trust. I get a lot of "so you take land of the tax roll?" or "you won't let me snowmobile on your property anymore." It's so frustrating - ask me about a project or land you heard of instead of reaming me out for a decision made years ago! I am always happy to provide hiking spots to people, places to paddle on the lakes. Half the time people ask me what I do I just say non-profit work and leave it at that!

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sing it! And also, I love that you do that, @slyfox4. Thank you!

Thank you! It's fun, rewarding work, but at times difficult and stressful. I am happy that I live in an area where we have so many passionate conservationists that love the outdoors.

newboots

Angel Diva
I've decided that I'm going to start lying in response to that one. I need to figure out the most esoteric, boring thing ever that will cause people to change the subject and say I do that.

A colleague of mine (we are both psychologists) started telling people at cocktail parties that she was an "interior decorator."

Well, taken in a certain way, that could be considered accurate!

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a good chance that I will become a professional grant writer in the next few weeks. I think that might do the trick! I can almost see people's eyes glazing over now.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@just jane , I was on the lift yesterday for the first time after quitting teaching last Friday. So I mean, I'm not just unemployed, I went full Thelma and Louise on my career. Just drove it right off a cliff and hope to never find myself in a classroom again.

So a guy on the lift said "Do you live up here?" (Vermont) and I said "I do now!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just drove it right off a cliff and hope to never find myself in a classroom again.
???Whaaa?? I thought you had been going around interviewing everywhere? As in, for a different teaching job. So you've gone ski bum? Well, you have good timing with the nor'easter coming through.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
???Whaaa?? I thought you had been going around interviewing everywhere? As in, for a different teaching job. So you've gone ski bum? Well, you have good timing with the nor'easter coming through.

Yeah, my school started giving me grief about being absent for interviews (of which I had two, total). I was at the end of my rope with them to begin with, and the implication that I was shirking my responsibilities was too much. After 11 years of nothing but praise for good teaching, I at least expected to be given the benefit of the doubt. But I was not. I know that a better person would have stuck it out until June, but I am not that person. I am, though, very, very happy and relieved. And done with teaching!

I don't know what this dancing-carrot emoji means, but I think it expresses everything I have to say about leaving teaching after 20 years:

:carrot:

Tvan

Angel Diva
I don't know what this dancing-carrot emoji means, but I think it expresses everything I have to say about leaving teaching after 20 years:

From one former teacher to another, I can assure you that there is a great big world out there beyond the classroom! Can’t wait to hear about your next adventure!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Former teachers unite! My DH is a former teacher, and was nearly fired the same year he was named Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year (long story). He only taught 3 years, but his life took a completely different turn after that. And it was a good turn, at that.

:carrot:And by the way, the carrot emoji is meant to symbolize motivation, or an incentive, like a carrot before a horse.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled topic. :focus:

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Yeah, my school started giving me grief about being absent for interviews (of which I had two, total). I was at the end of my rope with them to begin with, and the implication that I was shirking my responsibilities was too much. After 11 years of nothing but praise for good teaching, I at least expected to be given the benefit of the doubt. But I was not. I know that a better person would have stuck it out until June, but I am not that person. I am, though, very, very happy and relieved. And done with teaching!

Congrats! Enjoy the nor'easter, and I'm looking forward to hearing about your new adventures in post-teacher land!

:party:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm just waiting for the day I make small talk and find out I am randomly on a chair with a fellow Diva. But I guess for that I need to venture farther out from Wachusett.
Can't remember, do you have a Diva sticker on your skis?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna