• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Length

Mahbann8

Diva in Training
Hi Divas!

I just joined this forum last month and have been enjoying the content so much! Apologize if this is not the right forum for my question.

I just started skiing this season and have been absolutely loving it so decided to buy my own pair of skis. I got a good deal on a new pair of Volkl Flair 76, the smallest length was 147 which I thought would work well based on my height and weight. I picked it up today and realized it comes up to my eyebrows. For a beginner like me who’s hoping to progress, do you think these skis are too long for me? i weigh 123 lbs for reference

Thank you so much
Mahban

newboots

Angel Diva
Glad to have you here! Somebody will be along shortly to start giving advice (I don't know the answer!) In the meantime,

:welcome:

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
Nope! It will be a struggle at first, but if you put in the work you’ll grow into them. My first pair I bought was on the longer side, and that was after I argued with Backcountry and went with 168 instead of 170. At first they were longer than what I was used to, but I quickly learned to appreciate the stability of the longer length. Now 168 is my minimum.

You can do this!!! Keep practicing and you’ll get the hang of them in no time! Once you get your speed up, they’ll make you feel more anchored to the mountain when you’re on the edge. Volkl skis tend to be more stiff and less forgiving than some other brands....but I swear by them! Happy skiing, Sis!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In my non-instructor opinion, I think that should be fine. Maybe a little long at first, but they'll last you much longer than if they were shorter. I started learning on 142s and then upgraded to 146 fairly quickly myself (I'm only 5'1").

Mahbann8

Diva in Training
Nope! It will be a struggle at first, but if you put in the work you’ll grow into them. My first pair I bought was on the longer side, and that was after I argued with Backcountry and went with 168 instead of 170. At first they were longer than what I was used to, but I quickly learned to appreciate the stability of the longer length. Now 168 is my minimum.

You can do this!!! Keep practicing and you’ll get the hang of them in no time! Once you get your speed up, they’ll make you feel more anchored to the mountain when you’re on the edge. Volkl skis tend to be more stiff and less forgiving than some other brands....but I swear by them! Happy skiing, Sis!
Thank you! I’m so excited to start using them

Mahbann8

Diva in Training
In my non-instructor opinion, I think that should be fine. Maybe a little long at first, but they'll last you much longer than if they were shorter. I started learning on 142s and then upgraded to 146 fairly quickly myself (I'm only 5'1").
Awesome I feel a lot better with all the replies! Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I just started skiing this season and have been absolutely loving it so decided to buy my own pair of skis. I got a good deal on a new pair of Volkl Flair 76, the smallest length was 147 which I thought would work well based on my height and weight. I picked it up today and realized it comes up to my eyebrows. For a beginner like me who’s hoping to progress, do you think these skis are too long for me? i weigh 123 lbs for reference
Welcome! Given that these are relatively narrow skis, being a little longer than what beginners are given as rental skis won't be much of an issue.

What region are you skiing in?

Mahbann8

Diva in Training
Oh good to know. are you referring to the underfoot width as being narrow? I’m in Toronto, so mainly around here or Quebec when we make the trip.

Aside from the question on the length, I just noticed this wax looking thing stuck in between the bindings on my new skis, I assume it’s something the technicians used to mount the bindings but didnt properly clean? Any idea on what it is or if I should I try and get it off myself? (Hope it’s clear on the picture)

Thanks!!

Attachments

• CEEB2671-3DC0-400C-8A36-AFEAE1D270DC.jpeg
    CEEB2671-3DC0-400C-8A36-AFEAE1D270DC.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 29

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh good to know. are you referring to the underfoot width as being narrow? I’m in Toronto, so mainly around here or Quebec when we make the trip.

Aside from the question on the length, I just noticed this wax looking thing stuck in between the bindings on my new skis, I assume it’s something the technicians used to mount the bindings but didnt properly clean? Any idea on what it is or if I should I try and get it off myself? (Hope it’s clear on the picture)

Thanks!!

I'm not sure about the photo, but yes she's referring to the width of the ski at it's narrowest point... the waist, which is under your binding/foot like you said.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, since the Volkl Flair 76 is 76mm under the bindings, that's considered narrow. Ski widths range from somewhere in the 60s to as much as 120s, but most people with one pair of skis get widths from mid-70s to mid-90s depending on what type of snow conditions they ski in the most. Not sure about the Turn Radius, but the 124-76-105 dimensions are very similar to my first pair of good skis from Rossignol that were 128-74-108 when I was a confident intermediate still mostly skiing groomers.

Paging @Jilly , @SkiBam because they are very knowledgeable Divas who are ski in Quebec.

Here are the specs for the current year Flair from the Volkl website.
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 12.00.39 PM.png

Jilly

Staff member
Hi from the east end of the lake!!

I think you've picked a great ski and the length is good. We ski so much ice here in the east that the narrower skis are preferred. And you don't need a wider waist ski to get started on.

So, I guess you've got 3 more weeks to hug them, look at them and maybe carpet ski them?

Now the next question is skis are great but what about boots? Then how about some lessons once we get open again!

newboots

Angel Diva
I can't make out the photo, but if it's wax you can scrape it off with a non-sharp implement. The only place for wax is on the underside.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Thanks!!
That looks like lubricant in the binding to me, I think it's fine. I have seen that in some of my new skis right after the binding was installed.

Mahbann8

Diva in Training
Hi everyone!! For some reason I didn’t get any notifications so didn’t realize there were so many new responses. Thanks everyone for replying and sorry about the late reply :smile: I’m glad that all you divas think I’ve made the right decision with these skis!
I haven’t been able to use them yet because of the lock down but hoping to go to mont tremblant next month (fingers crossed)

@Jilly I’m not a member no! I’ll look them up right away

Mahbann8

Diva in Training
Hi from the east end of the lake!!

I think you've picked a great ski and the length is good. We ski so much ice here in the east that the narrower skis are preferred. And you don't need a wider waist ski to get started on.

So, I guess you've got 3 more weeks to hug them, look at them and maybe carpet ski them?

Now the next question is skis are great but what about boots? Then how about some lessons once we get open again!

Thanks! I went to a boot fitter and the atomic hawx 85 felt really good so ended up getting those, thoughts?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They sound like they'll be fine for you at that length especially as you progress towards intermediate. I think they'll last longer as you progress as well, rather than you having to buy a longer pair next season.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna