• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Length for a groomer ski

Reneef

Diva in Training
I am planning on demo testing several pairs of groomer skies tomorrow. Our two mountain ski shops length suggestions vary by 10 cm. I am 5'7" and about 132 lbs currently skiing on 165 Blizzard Sheeva's. I realize that until I try them out there is no definitive answer. Simply looking for some suggestions on narrow waisted skies (78 - 93 cm).

Thanks very much

Jilly

Staff member
It depends on the amount of rocker. I ski a true camber at 155. Early rise tip at 161. Rocker, camber, rocker at 171 (Vantage 95C)

And you just need to ski them at different lengths. One might fell squirrely and the longer not.

Reneef

Diva in Training
It depends on the amount of rocker. I ski a true camber at 155. Early rise tip at 161. Rocker, camber, rocker at 171 (Vantage 95C)

And you just need to ski them at different lengths. One might fell squirrely and the longer not.
I'm looking at a Vokl Kenja 156, a Black Pearl 88, 159 in length (I think) and the same in the Black Pearl 78

Jilly

Staff member
I don't know anything about volkl skis. The BP88 - I hated the old version. Haven't tried the new. Except I rented the Brahma 82, so the BP's big brother out west. Think is was 166. Loved it.

The BP's will be softer than the volkl.

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
Do you like the sheeva in the mid 160s length? If so, I would think the 159 in the Kenja would feel short. If I were you, I would demo it in a 163 in addition to other lengths. I have a pair of 2020 Volkl Kenjas in a 170 - I’m 5’9” 130 lbs, advanced, life-long skier, in my late 40s and I ski east coast snow most of the time. I could easily go down to 163 in the Kenja, but I went 170 for more stability - jury is still out on whether it feels a hair too long in certain conditions. I also have an old pair of Blizzard Black Pearls in 166 and a much stiffer Blizzard 8.0 in the same length. I don’t know what the new BPs are like but I don’t care for the old ones (mine are 2015) -they are not burly enough for my taste and they feel short. The Kenja is stiffer and feels more stable at speed. It turns on a dime and holds an edge well. I don’t think you can ever demo too many skis...

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I'm looking at a Vokl Kenja 156, a Black Pearl 88, 159 in length (I think) and the same in the Black Pearl 78

I agree with @SnowSeeker , the lengths you are considering sound short. In those skis I recommend you demo -
Kenja 163
Black Pearl 166

I have 2”/10 pounds on you and ski the Blizzard Sheeva 9 172 and the Blizzard Viva 810ti 167 (predecessor to the Blizzard 8.0).

The Kenja 163 feels short for me, but the 170 is too much work - too stiff of a ski for my preferences. I am not a Black Pearl fan, but would likely ski the 173 in that.

With your specs I would add the following to your demo list:
Nordica Astral 84 165. So much fun - right @MissySki?
Liberty V76W or V82W. I love what I have read about them and want to demo. @nopoleskier can chime in on these.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go longer on all of them. I am 2 inches shorter than you and ski all of them in a length longer than you are considering.

marzNC

Angel Diva
That's pretty short given that you are 5'7", 132 lbs.

Go longer on all of them. I am 2 inches shorter than you and ski all of them in a length longer than you are considering.

For another data point, I'm 5'0", 111 lbs, over 60 and have been very happy with skis in the mid-80s that were/are 159cm. Although have to admit that the BP88 @145 that I demo'd for a couple days at Taos was quite fun on groomers. There wasn't any ungroomed terrain open (low snow winter). My instructor (Taos Ski Week) much preferred me on shorter skis. However, if I were buying the BP88 then I would get the 152 at least for more versatility skiing out west.

My narrower skis, 78 underfoot, are 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis that are 85mm. I'll go another 5-10cm longer when renting powder skis since they have even more tip and tail rocker.

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
@lisamamot - I found the 2020 Kenja to be an easier ride than previous models. They removed some metal in the redesign. I agree that the prior years were super stiff, but it feels lighter and softer now. However, I’m still finding the 170 to be a bit of work so it may go to my teen son next year in exchange for a 163. @Reneef I wonder if one of the Santa Anas would be a good ski to demo? I believe there is an 88 and 93. I haven’t tried it yet so I can’t say much other than what I have read in reviews. I have tried the Atomic vantage 90ti in 170 and I found it to be a nice everyday ski. Easy to ski and powerful enough for tougher conditions, albeit not a thrilling ski. Elan ripstick has an 84 (or 88?) and a 94. It’s a fun ski in softer conditions. So many options to demo!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@lisamamot - I found the 2020 Kenja to be an easier ride than previous models. They removed some metal in the redesign. I agree that the prior years were super stiff, but it feels lighter and softer now. However, I’m still finding the 170 to be a bit of work so it may go to my teen son next year in exchange for a 163. @Reneef I wonder if one of the Santa Anas would be a good ski to demo? I believe there is an 88 and 93. I haven’t tried it yet so I can’t say much other than what I have read in reviews. I have tried the Atomic vantage 90ti in 170 and I found it to be a nice everyday ski. Easy to ski and powerful enough for tougher conditions, albeit not a thrilling ski. Elan ripstick has an 84 (or 88?) and a 94. It’s a fun ski in softer conditions. So many options to demo!
I demoed the 2020 Kenja 170 - still not for me. Same on the Secret 170. I used to love the Atomic Vantage line, but demoed the 2020 Atomic Vantage 90ti 169 and it was a bit of a yawn for me. The Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 168 is the only damp ski that I have been on and really enjoyed.

I own the Santa Ana 100 177 (pre-metal) and it would be perfect if it was slightly shorter and beefier. The versions after mine went to two sheets of metal which was too much for me, so I am super excited to get on the 2021 Santa Ana line that has one less sheet of metal and a size shake-up.

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
I demoed the 2020 Kenja 170 - still not for me. Same on the Secret 170. I used to love the Atomic Vantage line, but demoed the 2020 Atomic Vantage 90ti 169 and it was a bit of a yawn for me. The Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 168 is the only damp ski that I have been on and really enjoyed.

I own the Santa Ana 100 177 (pre-metal) and it would be perfect if it was slightly shorter and beefier. The versions after mine went to two sheets of metal which was too much for me, so I am super excited to get on the 2021 Santa Ana line that has one less sheet of metal and a size shake-up.
I agree the Atomic is not a thrill. My husband just bought the men’s version and likes it. To each his own, I guess. What’s the deal with the secret? I thought it was stiffer than the Kenja but I’ve never demoed it. A friend of mine was suggesting it, but it sounds like it’s a move in the wrong direction. I want to try the Santa Ana 93 but maybe it’s better to wait until next year if they are changing the design. I never have a lot of choices at local demo days, so I’m envious of those of you who have been able to try many skis at variable lengths.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I agree the Atomic is not a thrill. My husband just bought the men’s version and likes it. To each his own, I guess. What’s the deal with the secret? I thought it was stiffer than the Kenja but I’ve never demoed it. A friend of mine was suggesting it, but it sounds like it’s a move in the wrong direction. I want to try the Santa Ana 93 but maybe it’s better to wait until next year if they are changing the design. I never have a lot of choices at local demo days, so I’m envious of those of you who have been able to try many skis at variable lengths.
The Secret is wider at 92mm and felt a lot like the Kenja to me - too stiff/dead for my taste. I would need to size down to the 163 in both and that just feels short.

I demoed the 2019 Santa Ana 93 169 and bought the 2019 Sheeva 9 172 (demoed the 165); love, love them. The Santa Ana 93 was fine (felt short but stable), but the Sheeva was far more fun and plenty stable for my taste. With your specs the 2021 Santa Ana line could be a great fit, but since you seem to gravitate towards a stiffer ski you may prefer the current season.

I often do not get to demo a ski in my length. I do the same demo day every December; in previous years lengths have been pretty good, but this year was fairly dismal for me.

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
The Secret is wider at 92mm and felt a lot like the Kenja to me - too stiff/dead for my taste. I would need to size down to the 163 in both and that just feels short.

I demoed the 2019 Santa Ana 93 169 and bought the 2019 Sheeva 9 172 (demoed the 165); love, love them. The Santa Ana 93 was fine (felt short but stable), but the Sheeva was far more fun and plenty stable for my taste. With your specs the 2021 Santa Ana line could be a great fit, but since you seem to gravitate towards a stiffer ski you may prefer the current season.

I often do not get to demo a ski in my length. I do the same demo day every December; in previous years lengths have been pretty good, but this year was fairly dismal for me.

Thanks - very helpful. I haven’t been able to try the sheeva or Santa Ana but we have a few more demo days coming up. I am experiencing what you said about kenja length - I went a bit too long in 170, but agree 163 felt short. It’s the conundrum of tall skiers, I guess. I’ve mentioned to the local shops that having demos in longer lengths would be very helpful, but it’s been to no avail. Knowing what’s coming up next year with new models makes it hard for me to buy another 2020 ski unless it’s at the end of season sale.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m a bit bigger, 5’8 140 and wouldn’t ski anything under 162 and prefer 168 and 170 lengths on groomers, even when I weighed less. :tongue: So I’d recommend you look for mid 160s and try those. Have fun!

Reneef

Diva in Training
Thank you for all of the input. I have narrowed my choice down to the PB88 and the Vokl Secret, two very different skies. As our local shop said, do I want a Subaru WRX or a Toyota Four runner, both will go through the snow, one requires more effort but will be fun, the other will take care of me in more varied conditions. My heart says to go for the Vokls, but my age 60+, says to be smart and go with the PB88's. I need to demo them one more time under more packed powder conditions.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Liberty makes some fine skis.. I love the V76W's, lots of fun, big sweet spot, very turny and work well in piles of snow.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I honestly don't know. They are 104 underfoot. I bought them as demos a few years ago. They are turquoise with a half sun on the top below the tip of each ski
The 2016 Sheeva was 104 underfoot and had a sun (pic below). They now make a Sheeva 9 (92), Sheeva 10 (102), and Sheeva 11 (112). and they have a feather on the tip like the Black Pearls. You may love the Sheeva 9 - I certainly do!!

1580591074794.png

Attachments

• 1580591006282.png
    1580591006282.png
    371.2 KB · Views: 0

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh that explains the 104 under foot. The newer version of the Sheeva is a much more playful, user-friendly ski.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly