• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski jacket and pants care

ride_ski

Angel Diva
So, Kiragirl's post on washing socks got me thinking-

How do you keep your jacket and skipants clean? I have been told to turn them inside out and wash with powder detergent- is this the best way? Also, how do you pretreat to remove stains? I don't want to treat my ski clothes the same as my regular laundry...

What have you found works the best?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
So, Kiragirl's post on washing socks got me thinking-

How do you keep your jacket and skipants clean? I have been told to turn them inside out and wash with powder detergent- is this the best way? Also, how do you pretreat to remove stains? I don't want to treat my ski clothes the same as my regular laundry...

What have you found works the best?

ohh laundry, one of my favorite topics, :laugh:

Powdered detergent is correct for any waterproof breathable fabric, not liquid. Better still is a shell/technical fabric specific cleaner such as Grangers G-wash or Nikwax Techwash, followed by the matching DWR (durable water repellency) treatment. Do not use soap flakes, that is a very old school recommendation for goretex that isn't followed any more. I've never heard the inside out thing, and I've been working with technical fabrics professionally for 15+ years.

Also, you can refresh your DWR with a spin through the dryer: this reactivates it to a certain dergree.

Stains- any treatment like SHOUT etc. I've even used a mild simple green solution on nasty stuff. But nothing gets out chair lift grease really really well. :Cry:

Do not use fabric softener on wicking or technical fabrics. It coats the fibers, reduces their action.

WIN is just regular detergent with Oxyclean mixed in and fancy marketing.

One nice thing about most gals is you don't think like guys...
"wow, you are supposed to wash this?" ( what no head banger gif?)

gg

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Absolutely agree w/ geargrrl.

Jilly

Staff member
geargirl, we have a wonderful product product that seems to only available in Canada. Grime Eater. It gets even chairlift grease out!!

haylmom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
geargirl, we have a wonderful product product that seems to only available in Canada. Grime Eater. It gets even chairlift grease out!!

Is that a brake cleaner?? My cousin told me about some brake cleaner stuff from Canadian tire and I tried it (he's a mechanic obviously) and it takes out ALL grease!

geargrrl

Angel Diva

note to self, next time I'm in Canada... Does Trail or Nelson have a Canadian Tire?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have to get to Canada already, what's my excuse? Border is 80 mi away - passport's all ready :smile:
Tylenol 3??? OTC?
Heard QC is readying for big doings: winter carnival(s), Mardi Gras, etc.
I'm still holding out for Tremblant in late season.
I'm desperately trying to avoid the subject of LAUNDRY :smile:
Haylmom, great new avatar, BTW :laugh:

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tylenol #1 is available without a prescription, but #2, #3, and #4 do require one.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's my question: I have a new high-efficiency washer, and I'm supposed to use h.e. detergent for it. Do they sell h.e. technical washes? I have a bottle of nikwax left over from my conventional washer ... can I use it anyway?

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to get to Canada already, what's my excuse? Border is 80 mi away - passport's all ready :smile:
Tylenol 3??? OTC?
Heard QC is readying for big doings: winter carnival(s), Mardi Gras, etc.
I'm still holding out for Tremblant in late season.
I'm desperately trying to avoid the subject of LAUNDRY :smile:
Haylmom, great new avatar, BTW :laugh:
we can buy AC&C over the counter (Acetaminphen, Caffeine & Codeine) - I can't use Ibuprofen so the AC&C is standard issue for my kit

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Here's my question: I have a new high-efficiency washer, and I'm supposed to use h.e. detergent for it. Do they sell h.e. technical washes? I have a bottle of nikwax left over from my conventional washer ... can I use it anyway?

Boy good question!! I certainly don't know, but as more people switch over it be worth reseaching. They ( or grangers') might have an 800# on their website...

Jilly

Staff member
Anything with codeine is prescription. I know I need it for cough. I used to go to the states for Advil till they allowed it here. Grime eater available at the grocery store in the laundry section, no need for CT, try Loblaws or Wal-mart even. It's a spray on like Shout.
MSL, if you coming up to Quebec, let me know - I'm at Tremblant usually on the weekends and late March early April is great timing. I'm on course the week of March 24 to 28th at Tremblant.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
lol, the things we Yanks buy when we go north.
Tylenol 3's
Grime Eater
Maple leaf shortbread
Maple leaf shortbread?? I'm drooling just thinking about it... maple and shortbread two of my favorite treats! I found these cookies recently in my local supermarket--a Canadian brand called "Dare" and they were shortbread sandwich cookies with maple icing in the middle, shaped like maple leaves (is that the one you're talking about?). It was a flash-in-the-pan, as far as I know, cuz they're out of the cookies and took the display away. I bought 2 packages and ate 'em all myself. :eyebrows:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Interesting question - I'd love to find out for sure as well. I've had my he washer for 6 years, can use powder (sparingly/rarely) but I've always taken outerwear to a laundromat for the tech wash segment. I'll see what I can find out. I probably will stick with the laundromat, as I am on well and septic where I live and have to be ultra-careful about what goes down the drain from all sources here at my home.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I checked Nikwax's website and they say noting about he washer but do say it is safe for septic.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
two more items we must remember to pickup when in Canada: Molson Golden, French Canadian men
:becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna