• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Ski instructor recovering from life-changing ski injury. Do I tell students?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Ddharma I just read this whole thread and wanted to reach out and find out how your recovery is going and to see if you have had a chance to ski this wild and whacky year or are holding off for a bit.

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Hello!
Last March I shattered my leg below the knee (on the mountain where I teach) and was reassembled on or around 8 April 2019. I am still learning how to walk, I’m still working on range of motion, I am 100% committed to physical therapy.

Somewhere in that timeline I understood that I was being presented with a rare and precious opportunity: I get to learn how to ski again. I am dedicated to spending this season on green runs (uncharted territory) and practicing basic technique over and over and over again. Ball of foot, pressure left, turn right. Poles in front, shin touching boot tongue. This has been awesome. I easily associate my downhill ski with the turn and recognize the transition point.

I am a pre-cert adult-beginner ski instructor. I strongly relate to my first time beginners and certainly the instruction I am getting directly translates to my teaching.

I seek thoughts from the instructor angle but especially from a beginner student skier’s point of view.

Should I ever let students know why I truly relate to them?

100% would love to re-lean to ski from you as I am 7.5 weeks post op from a gnarly tib/fib/ankle spiral fracture situation. It could scare some people off -- but at this point in my recovery, I would legitimately travel to you to have someone who understands what it feels like to stand on your ski for the first time after something like this.......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna