• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski in Late April???

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
I just found out my husband MIGHT be coming home for a little while in late April/early May. I'd LOVE to try to surprise him with a quick ski trip somewhere (especially since I just bought him some new skis at an end of season sale--SURPRISE!) but don't know where there might still be snow. Canada? Alaska?? Any ideas?

altagirl

Staff member
Snowbird will still be open. Can't guarantee great snow - more likely nice spring skiing, but it's still fun!

Jilly

Staff member
Early May could be a problem at Whistler. Ski and snowboard festival kinda ends their season and another the 20th. You might only be skiing Blackcomb by May and only the top.

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A-basin in Colorado is claiming to be open through May. Have never been there myself, but I don't want the season to end at this point. :D

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd think maybe Tahoe. I skied at Sugarbowl last year on either April 27 or 28 and it was still nice - mashed potatoes and goggle tan weather but I had a blast nonetheless. Late April/Early May I believe you should find Sugarbowl, Kirkwood, Alpine Meadows, or Squaw Valley open. I also believe Mammoth Mountain (a bit further south in the Sierra Nevadas) usually stays open till July.

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not Tahoe, unfortunately. This year Tahoe got less than 50% of normal snowfall, so coverage is already thin. Temperatures are hitting the high 50s-low 60s during the day, so conditions are only worsening. There is a small chance of rain in the next few days. Sorry to be a bummer!

abc

Banned
OK, so this is a bad snow year...normally I would have expect Whistler to be open in May. Killington almost always stay open but this year I'm suspicious of coverage because, like Tahoe, they only have half the snow of "normal".

Usually, there's always more snow than skiers so many resort close with plenty of snow around. But I guess not this year. If Whistler and Tahoe is thin, I don't know where else in this continent.

However, European Alps is still being hit by one storm after another. I notice you're in Florida. So, if you can find a flight to Geneva, it's only 1 extra hours on the plane compare to the 6 hour to the west coast anyway. I know Val Thoren will stay open till end of April. Don't know beyond that. My flight to Europe was about the same as going west ($460). Lodging should be dirt cheap now that it's end of season.

If you want to check on Europe, snowheads.com is the place to ask.

Vail is closing April 22nd.
A-Basin tries to stay open until June (it was even open until July 1 time!) I don't really see that happening this year.

altagirl

Staff member
abc said:
OK, so this is a bad snow year...normally I would have expect Whistler to be open in May. Killington almost always stay open but this year I'm suspicious of coverage because, like Tahoe, they only have half the snow of "normal".

Usually, there's always more snow than skiers so many resort close with plenty of snow around. But I guess not this year. If Whistler and Tahoe is thin, I don't know where else in this continent.

However, European Alps is still being hit by one storm after another. I notice you're in Florida. So, if you can find a flight to Geneva, it's only 1 extra hours on the plane compare to the 6 hour to the west coast anyway. I know Val Thoren will stay open till end of April. Don't know beyond that. My flight to Europe was about the same as going west ($460). Lodging should be dirt cheap now that it's end of season.

If you want to check on Europe, snowheads.com is the place to ask.

"Snowbird plans to remain open daily through April 30, with additional skiing and riding through mid-May, conditions permitting. " (That's usually Thurs-Sun). They still have an 84" base, which should be fine for spring skiing through mid-May. Sure, it's not as deep as last year, when they were open until July 4, but it should be good through May with our measly 312 inches we got this year.

IdahoSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to Mt. Bachelor in mid-May before and it was great spring skiing. I did not ski there this year but I know that they still have around a 100 inches.

Calgal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sunshine Village near Banff will be open until May sometime !!!
Check out their website ....they usually have some end of season events going on....take your bikini so you can participate in the slush cup !!! (crazy people skiing into large pool of water)

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
WOW! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to check them out. I never even thought about Europe, but you're right. From the East coast it's not much further than heading out west. Hubby's skis came in today. So excited. What a deal you can find end of season! I got these from Don Thomas Sport Haus in MI. --50% off-free shipping--brand new. Cheaper than demos I was finding elsewhere. Might want to check it out if you're in need of something (like we're ever NOT in need of something)
www.skis.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna