• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski essentials is selling off their demo fleet

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Definitely- ski weight would def matter hiking to highline ridge, but I will NEVER do that! Did you ski West Basin?

I don't think so. We went in the other direction. Maybe called Corner Chute but was in some trees as @marzNC said..

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Meant to quote but just looked at trail map and went in the opposite direction. Think near Corner Chute. We have photos . Paging @marzNC

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Tempting but I don’t need any more skis this season. My season ended early unexpectedly from a torn muscle so I am just going to wait until the new women’s skis come out before making a decision. Not like I can ski them now anyway:cry:
Sorry to hear! Maybe an excuse to go to Ojo? Get well soon!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Did you ski West Basin?
Meant to quote but just looked at trail map and went in the opposite direction. Think near Corner Chute. We have photos . Paging @marzNC
After the hike to the flat space that is in the middle between the hike to Kachina and the traverse out towards Stauffenberg and Wild West, we went towards Kachina. After the traverse right on the ridge, we went down across Kitchen Wall (just before a gate to Kachina peak) to Corner Chute. Last year I went to the same entry with the same instructor, but that group went a little farther over and skied a short section of trees before getting to the same open section we finished in this time. Comes out on Honeysuckle, just below the top of Lift 7.

The payoff for the Highline hike at TSV
Instructor, @Olesya Chornoguz , @santacruz skier ; Bill
Taos Corner Chute 07Feb2020 - 1.jpg Taos Corner Chute 07Feb2020 - 2.jpg

Definitely- ski weight would def matter hiking to highline ridge, but I will NEVER do that!
FYI, last year the group also included a woman close to 70 to did the hike. She lives in NM and has been doing an annual Ski Week for 10 years.

I can only do hikes like that using a carry strap or backpack for the skis. Did help that the first time at TSV four years ago, we hiked just for the view. Used poles but left our skis at the start of the hike.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Ok thanks. Sounds like the SA 93 or Sheeva 9 is a perfect choice for me.
I think they're different. I demoed Sheeva 9 last year and they didn’t do much for me. I demoed SA 93 and loved them and bought them. Granted, I demoed both on different days and different conditions. Maybe I should’ve demoed the Sheevas again last week when I had the chance...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think they're different. I demoed Sheeva 9 last year and they didn’t do much for me. I demoed SA 93 and loved them and bought them. Granted, I demoed both on different days and different conditions. Maybe I should’ve demoed the Sheevas again last week when I had the chance...
I demoed both in very different places / conditions too! SA 93 in nice Taos snow before it started snowing significantly, Sheeva 9 in Tahoe with no new snow in weeks,

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My order of demo skis arrived today — very happy with the purchase. Different than powder7 where they have photos/listing by size for the exact pair you are buying. For ski essentials placed order of ski/size then staff contacted me to verify the condition was acceptable and shipped out only after my approval. They rated the skis a 9/10 condition but honestly I am examining them with a fine tooth comb and can see no evidence they have ever been skied. Overall good experience. Can’t wait to get out on the snow with my new toys!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another "sleeper" in their demo fleet that is on sale are the Salomon QST Lumen 99. I've had my eye on these after skiing the 92s LAST season during industry demo, and finally pulled the trigger over a week ago. BUT, Salomon sent me the 174 instead of the 167! The paperwork said they were a 167, so we mounted them up and got them home and then :eek: Well, I decided with a few inches of fresh yesterday I'd take them for a spin. I love them! This is a much improved Lumen over the prior version, which to me was very meh, boring. And yes, it skis short. And, with a more traditional binding mount point, works for me that way too (I'm not a fan of skis mounted more center, I am discovering.) I can't wait to get them into some actual powder, which hopefully will happen this weekend.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My Stockli arrived just before we left. They had described them as 8-9 condition but I can’t find a single flaw on the base and the top sheet is minor scratches only!
Do they ship with the demo bindings? I have my eye on a pair of skis on their website and the picture of the bindings that come with the skis look like regular bindings, not demo. I definitely do not want the extra weight of a demo binding!

mustski

Angel Diva
If you buy a demo ski, it will come with the demo binding. They are having some pretty good sales on regular ski also though, so it might be worth looking at that if you don't want demo bindings. Personally, I like demo bindings but I don't hike to ski so weight is not a huge issue for me.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Personally, I like demo bindings but I don't hike to ski so weight is not a huge issue for me.
With a demo binding I don’t worry about the weight as much as theft; far too easy to adjust. Lock those pretty Stocklis up - hope you enjoyed them on your trip!

Demo bindings do make them easy to loan out or resell though to someone with a different BSL.

marzNC

Angel Diva
. . . but I don't hike to ski so weight is not a huge issue for me.
Reason I like lighter bindings than the usual demo binding when buying demo skis has nothing to do with hike-to terrain. Carrying skis from a parking lot or bus stop is enough of a reason to want lighter weight bindings. I also tend to plan on keeping skis for quite a while.

However, when I first started buying skis I preferred system or demo bindings because it was one less piece of gear I had to think about.

mustski

Angel Diva
With a demo binding I don’t worry about the weight as much as theft; far too easy to adjust. Lock those pretty Stocklis up - hope you enjoyed them on your trip!

Sadly they are not with me in Europe. The cost of bringing skis via Lufthansa airlines was $450 each way per set of skis! So we are renting. I'm skiing some Rossi Sky 7s which are not thrilling but do the job just fine.

Carrying skis from a parking lot or bus stop is enough of a reason to want lighter weight bindings. I also tend to plan on keeping skis for quite a while.

However, when I first started buying skis I preferred system or demo bindings because it was one less piece of gear I had to think about.

Truthfully, I don't notice a big difference with the skis/bindings. My Renouns are the only skis I have with demo bindings and they are heavier than my other skis but it's not enough to be a problem. The gear that I hate carrying is the ski boots. Those boot bags feel heavy on my back and I don't pack much in them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly