• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Divas' Other interests

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Canyoneering in spring and fall.
White-water paddling (DH in a canoe and me in a duckie) - hopefully we can do at least one overnight trip.
Flat-water kayaking.
Road biking.
Annual family camping trip in June (booze required).
Lots of other weekend camping trips if this summer is typical - we have a little camper trailer. We just got it out to start getting it ready for summer. I always miss it desperately in the winter and can't wait for our first trip.
I think we already scheduled a backpacking trip in Rocky Mountain NP? Need to doublecheck.
Hiking. Last summer was the first time in several years we didn't get a 14er in so maybe we'll sneak in two this year. Maybe we'll try Longs Peak again when we go to RMNP. We had to turn back early last time.
We're planning a trip back to Grand Teton NP this summer for kayaking and hiking.
A few movies at Red Rocks - I just bought tickets for Purple Rain there next month. :smile::cry:
Oh - and I graduate from my Master's program in about 3 weeks. If we can squeeze it in, we might try to have a party.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With two active teen girls it's hard to get in some of my favorite activities but we enjoy glamping for 1 week with 9 other families, weekend trips to other cities (Chicago/Philly/NYC). Starting to think about combining vacays with college visits. Also my 16yr old is running her first 10K with me Memorial wkend.

I do squeeze in-
Practicing my french with a conversation group
Reading (Paris Architect is next)
Drinking wine with friends (Like the WSJ wine club...sends me 15 bottles every 2 months)
Online scrapbooking (Mixbook- gives me complete control, much more than snapfish etc)
Running/workouts.

On our spring break I said I don't care and wore a bikini the whole time. I am going to continue but want to have to work less at sucking in my stomach so I'm trying to get a toned tummy.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Skiing and snowshoeing in the winter. Our big family activities over the summer are mountain biking and hiking. We try and get out to do either one of those a few times a week. We'll do shorter bike rides during the week around the neighbourhood with the kids.

For almost a year now, I've been running - that's my activity I do on my own, and it's become my time to clear my head and get some space. It started out as a very difficult new hobby for me, but it's something I can't do with out now. I ran a 5k, a 10k and am now trying to up the game for a half-marathon, but I'm in the very very early phases.

We do one multi-day backpacking trip a year somewhere in the Canadian Rockies with the kids. SO and I will do a bunch of shorter ones throughout the year - we like going in shoulder season when there are few people out, and we get a beautiful place to ourselves. We'll try to do at least one car camping trip a year.

We all really like to travel. We alternate summers visiting my family (Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, Austria) and SO's family (in Denver, Summit County, and also in NYC). This year it's Europe. And we'll try to take the kids to a new place every so often. Our travel wish list with the kids over the next few years includes Alaska, Moab and Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

altagirl

Staff member
Practicing my french with a conversation group

Nice! I've been working on learning Spanish daily (just alone on my computer) and have been thinking I should find some sort of group to converse with...

On our spring break I said I don't care and wore a bikini the whole time. I am going to continue but want to have to work less at sucking in my stomach so I'm trying to get a toned tummy.

And I totally hear you on this. While I've been pretty happy with my body in recent years, I know I've put on a couple of pounds from overdoing the treats (healthy or not, overdoing it is no good...) So that's one of my summer activities, so to speak, as well. Which doesn't sound like an activity, BUT - a large part of that is taking more time to prepare meals at home, etc. It's the laziness factor that gets me as much as anything, so it's the "activity" part of preparing ahead, being mindful of how much I'm eating, etc. that is part of the plan!

Learning some french is on our list too because we've been to ski in quebec twice now in the last 3 months and it would be nice to be able to have a small conversation with the wonderful people we meet every time we go. We are likely headed back in January on another ski trip so I figure when I'm mimosaing on sundays this summer I can learn a little french.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I put on close to 10 lbs. writing my capstone (aka "thesis lite") in January. It also significantly cut into my skiing time this year. I can't wait to be DONE with this degree and get back into shape. This is my last weekend spent sitting in front of a computer writing instead of outside playing.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice! I've been working on learning Spanish daily (just alone on my computer) and have been thinking I should find some sort of group to converse with...

And I totally hear you on this. While I've been pretty happy with my body in recent years, I know I've put on a couple of pounds from overdoing the treats (healthy or not, overdoing it is no good...) So that's one of my summer activities, so to speak, as well. Which doesn't sound like an activity, BUT - a large part of that is taking more time to prepare meals at home, etc. It's the laziness factor that gets me as much as anything, so it's the "activity" part of preparing ahead, being mindful of how much I'm eating, etc. that is part of the plan!

I found the French conversation group through meetup.com and it has been great. Every two weeks we just converse on whatever in French. I like to think I'm pretty fluent but you get so rusty when you're the only one who speaks. Kiddos and DH are non francophones sadly.

As far as the tummy, I'm not sure it even is really possible having had two kids. Can a normal person (I can exercise 45 min a day but not 3 hours) really get a flat tummy? We shall see. Kuddos for you for preparing!!! So much of healthy eating is preparing. I've got to make time to run to my certain grocery stores I like, plan the menu and then cook the menu. I could eat a Chipotle salad every day but my kids don't agree.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skiing and snowshoeing in the winter. Our big family activities over the summer are mountain biking and hiking. We try and get out to do either one of those a few times a week. We'll do shorter bike rides during the week around the neighbourhood with the kids.

For almost a year now, I've been running - that's my activity I do on my own, and it's become my time to clear my head and get some space. It started out as a very difficult new hobby for me, but it's something I can't do with out now. I ran a 5k, a 10k and am now trying to up the game for a half-marathon, but I'm in the very very early phases.

We do one multi-day backpacking trip a year somewhere in the Canadian Rockies with the kids. SO and I will do a bunch of shorter ones throughout the year - we like going in shoulder season when there are few people out, and we get a beautiful place to ourselves. We'll try to do at least one car camping trip a year.

We all really like to travel. We alternate summers visiting my family (Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, Austria) and SO's family (in Denver, Summit County, and also in NYC). This year it's Europe. And we'll try to take the kids to a new place every so often. Our travel wish list with the kids over the next few years includes Alaska, Moab and Thailand, Laos and Cambodia.

So envious of you with the Canadian rockies in your backyard. I bet it is breathtaking. One aspect of camping that we love is the no wifi for a week. So cool that your kids will visit all those countries. I do get wonderlust.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Learning some french is on our list too because we've been to ski in quebec twice now in the last 3 months and it would be nice to be able to have a small conversation with the wonderful people we meet every time we go. We are likely headed back in January on another ski trip so I figure when I'm mimosaing on sundays this summer I can learn a little french.

LOL...champagne et jus d'orange s'il vous plait.

We usually have wifi when we camp, sometimes better service thsn when home ironically lol. Cant wait to sleep outside and breathe in the mountain air. We camp with these 3 friends who are amazing cooks. We get the cooking/kitchen/prep area all set up and then hit the local fsrmers market and fish market. DH and i arent big cooks so we happily do dishes lol.

Just got back from camping in Big Sur. Everything tastes a million times better when you're sitting around a campfire under the stars and everything smells like pine trees

I agree completely. I adore Big Sur. Dragging my guy there one of our next trips out west.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@cornysnow that's awesome! I was in Big Sur for the first time in December and LOVED it. SO and I had a romantic getaway weekend in Monterey/Big Sur and it was just incredible - did lots of hiking, beach walking, and that drive...wow! Lucky you!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Did anyone stop at Nepenthe to eat? Awesome place.

cornysnow

Certified Ski Diva
Did anyone stop at Nepenthe to eat? Awesome place.

We didn't eat in Nepenthe, but had quite a few picnics at random pull-outs that led to hikes to cliffs overlooking the water. My boyfriend and I freedived (freedove?) in Big Sur in the past, so we brought our guests to some places we'd previously scouted. (He spearfishes so we're always trying to find the untouched off-the-beaten-path shore access.) It's really worth stopping on the side of the road whenever you can and taking the little unofficial dirt trails that head toward the water. You never know what awesomeness they may lead to...
stH0pw5.jpg

Also, the cafe-bakery-thing next to the shell gas station / general store in the town of Big Sur is pretty rad. They have these cinnamon bloom things that are the best baked good I've ever eaten.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly