• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski close to an Airport?

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
I'm thinking about a spring ski trip and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a place not too far from a major airport. More than likely it'll be a quick trip--maybe 3-4 days and I don't want to waste too much time driving back and forth to the airport. We're doing the Colorado thing in Jan so maybe somewhere else? Any ideas?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, you could always fly into Burlington VT, catch a ride with me to the Stowflake and spend three glorious days with me at ESA!;)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OOF sorry ESA stowe is in December. You're looking for spring skiing.
I'm flying to my Sister in laws near Arapahoe Basin, she said Denver is really close. Though I've never experiened it.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Two words, one place: Park City.

You can fly into Salt Lake and be on the slopes in no time. You have Park City Resort and Deer Valley right down the road, plus Alta, Solitude, Snowbird close by. It's fast, ultra convenient, and great skiing.

nelsapbm

Certified Ski Diva
If you want to stay east, definately Burlington (BTV). JetBlue flies in/out of Burlington and has many FL destinations. You can be at Smuggler's Notch, Stowe, Sugarbush, Mad River, or Bolton in an hour or under.
Another idea would be to fly to Montreal and try Tremblant.
If you want to go west, I second Salt Lake City. Park City, Deer Valley, The Canyons, Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, & Solitude are all very close.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva said:
Two words, one place: Park City.

You can fly into Salt Lake and be on the slopes in no time. You have Park City Resort and Deer Valley right down the road, plus Alta, Solitude, Snowbird close by. It's fast, ultra convenient, and great skiing.

Easiest skiing to get to from an airport and LOTS of it! Plus, you can ski free on the day you arrive so book an early flight.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Salt Lake is the first one that comes to mind for me too. But I would skip Park City, just stick to the Cottonwood Canyons areas. Park City still requires some driving, Cottonwood Canyons are right there...

I forget your ability level. Are you intermediates? If yes, go to Solitude, Alta and/or Brighton. Those three have the best selection for intermediates, meaning extensive and varied too. Alta, of course, just oozes the history of skiing. If anyone in your family only snowboards, you'll have to skip Alta because they don't allow snowboarders. And if anyone in your family does snowboard, you really should consider a day at Brighton because it has a very cool "snowboard" scene. Brighton also has wonderful intermediate trails snaking through the trees, more like an Eastern resort than a Western one. We think of it as "Jay Peak on steroids." :cool: Solitude is aptly named, so if you really want to avoid crowds, go there. All three resorts have excellent advanced and expert terrain as well, if you have anyone of that ability level in your family.

I really don't recommend Snowbird for beginners/intermediates unless you are truly adventurous. The mountain can be very intimidating. And the trail choices at those ability levels are limited.

If you stay at certain lodgings, you can get a multi-day ticket that's good at all the Cottonwood resorts, so you can explore as many as you want or just stick to one (it's nice to have that option). :smile:

Thatsagirl

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We're all pretty much Intermediate skiers/boarders. Ski mostly blue and single blacks. I'm thinking of a place to get away with my husband when he gets home from the Middle East WITHOUT the kids!! It'd probably be a long weekend so time is of the essence! It would just feel great to get away--with the added bonus of skiing thrown in.

chitownski

Certified Ski Diva
Salt Lake is definitely the way to go. And I agree with the comments on Brighton/Alta/Snowbird, but I don't think Park City is out of the question - the drive from PC isn't that far.

Also, if Jackson Hole qualifies as a "major airport", that'd be a great place to ski, and a great town to enjoy with the husband sans kids.

Either way, enjoy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna