• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski choice is what allows us to progress — our stories

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My 75mm waisted skis are definitely easier to get on edge than my wider skis. It's not that the wider skis can't be gotten up on edge, but it takes a more conscious effort/thought to do so. So I'd say if you are trying to learn this skill, then narrower is easier. The other piece of the matter is that my narrow skis have system bindings that are up on rails, while my wider skis have bindings that sit much closer to the ski---so I think the higher stand height of the system bindings also make it easier to tip them, in a similar principle as to why racers mount their bindings on plates--often the highest that are allowed, as it's easier to get higher edge angles that way.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have not. Anything under 84 in my region has to be bought unskied as I live in fat ski territory.
Ridiculously, it's the same here in Maine where we are not known for our powder. Mid-80s and up are what's available to demo. I've been looking for some skis that are narrower than my Kenjas (88) and won't buy anything I can't try
It's a bit of a catch 22 of here in fat ski territory. I'm on a Volkl Yumi 84, narrowest demo I could find. A lot of people (who I know mean well) urge me to demo something narrower. But I can't find anything narrower - the shops here in Washington (and the ones I checked last week in Oregon) just don't carry those as demos... So what do I do?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TiffAlt any chance of trying people's skis that you know? A lot of the narrower master racer type skis come in a very narrow range of lengths. I bought my forst pair used from a colleague. Normally she skis longer lemgths than I do but the 165 was her only option and perfect for me. I know that the same dimension skis will be so different from one company to the other because of how they make them, but I had to jump into the deep end and love both my pairs of 72 undefoot even of the stiffness varies a lot between the two

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TiffAlt any chance of trying people's skis that you know? A lot of the narrower master racer type skis come in a very narrow range of lengths. I bought my forst pair used from a colleague. Normally she skis longer lemgths than I do but the 165 was her only option and perfect for me. I know that the same dimension skis will be so different from one company to the other because of how they make them, but I had to jump into the deep end and love both my pairs of 72 undefoot even of the stiffness varies a lot between the two
Hmm, my friend who took lessons with me does want to move up from her head supershapes that are 60-something underfoot. She doesn't think they are very good for Crystal (we have a lot of soft snow she is forever complaining about sinking in). I'm not sure if she's sold them, but I can ask!

pamplemoose

Diva in Training
This is me! I learned to ski on very forgiving 88s, and as soon as I could I started spending all my time in the trees and bumps making pretty smeary/slarvy turns. I feel very "meh" on groomers, hate hard snow, and have no idea how to carve. I want to get a pair of narrow skis for next season, and haven't found anything local to demo.

Some of the ones I've been looking at are the RC One 78, Head Supershape e-somethings, K2 Disruption 78, Rossignol React R8 (74), Dynastar Intense (72). Any advice or other suggestions? Want something that will make me a better skier and that I can grow into, but that won't kick my ass immediately.

Jilly

Staff member
FYI - the Rossi React is the unisex ski. The women's line is Nova. The Dynastar is a great ski in the Intense either it's Pro or 12. Can't remember.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, my friend who took lessons with me does want to move up from her head supershapes that are 60-something underfoot. She doesn't think they are very good for Crystal (we have a lot of soft snow she is forever complaining about sinking in). I'm not sure if she's sold them, but I can ask!

YAY, so excited, she still has 'em and I'll be taking them for a spin next season!! Thanks for pushing me to ask @snoWYmonkey. Dunno why I never thought of it!

I also just took a look at Crystal's demo list for next year and they'll have 1 Rossignol Forza 20 in 156! I can't find all the details since it's new for this year, but the waist looks like it'll be ~75-78. :yahoo:

Carver in the making over here!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard of a 60 and 70, but not 20.
It's not out yet, but it will be this fall:

1681844565423.png

I really wish my demo center would carry more in my size. They will have a 60 and 70 too, but at too tall for me (164 shortest, but maybe I can swing it?). I'm not sure if the 20 will be any better than a beginner ski, but Rossignol isn't selling the 20s as rental fleet, so maybe?

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a bit of a catch 22 of here in fat ski territory. I'm on a Volkl Yumi 84, narrowest demo I could find. A lot of people (who I know mean well) urge me to demo something narrower. But I can't find anything narrower - the shops here in Washington (and the ones I checked last week in Oregon) just don't carry those as demos... So what do I do?
Check out Powder 7?? I've seen some narrower skis there. Albeit, you have to buy, but at least they have reasonable prices for demo skis. I got my used Nela 80's for a great price.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out Powder 7?? I've seen some narrower skis there. Albeit, you have to buy, but at least they have reasonable prices for demo skis. I got my used Nela 80's for a great price.
I've definitely been eying a few pairs there and considering trading in my BP88's to them for narrow demos, but I don't want to just jump rashly in. LOL - overthinker to the max. One of these days I'm sure I'll make a move. Now that I know I'll be able to try some narrower skis, one 66 and the other hopefully 10cm more, I'll probably feel more comfortable pulling the trigger when I figure out what waist width I like.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought used Demo Stockli SC, 72 underfoot, carvers from Powder 7. I’m happy with the skis and with the interaction w Powder 7.
I take it you bought them un demo'ed? What were the reasons you went with that ski? Love to see the thought process since I'm new to this!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought the same stockli untried. Reputation, solid build, specs sounded good. Might be too stiff for you.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I’m an adv east coast skier, learned on straight skis, made recent progress in moguls on BP88/159, stiffer 20/21 version, but not I’m advancing as far as carving. I don’t like to ski fast. I’m more of a finesse skier, rarely out of control. Was advised to get a fairly stiff carver and go short, 149, so I can get the feel of carving….we’ll see. I’ve had one day on them very firm conditions at Sugarloaf. They held me at speed, personal record of 32mph that day and forced me forward. Still a work in progress as far as staying on edge. As SnoWYmonkey says I don’t think it’s for less than an advanced skier. Something in the Head Joy series might be better.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m an adv east coast skier, learned on straight skis, made recent progress in moguls on BP88/159, stiffer 20/21 version, but not I’m advancing as far as carving. I don’t like to ski fast. I’m more of a finesse skier, rarely out of control. Was advised to get a fairly stiff carver and go short, 149, so I can get the feel of carving….we’ll see. I’ve had one day on them very firm conditions at Sugarloaf. They held me at speed, personal record of 32mph that day and forced me forward. Still a work in progress as far as staying on edge. As SnoWYmonkey says I don’t think it’s for less than an advanced skier. Something in the Head Joy series might be better.
So we should go shorter with carvers, got it. The skis my friend will let me try next season are these in 149. They are junior skis so I'm thinking less stiff than the Stocklis and maybe that's a good thing?

The other one I've been looking over for months are these:

Compared to some others though, that doesn't seem like huge savings for a 2020. Additionally, I think there's going to be a new Volkl Flair SC out this fall, so I wanted to wait to see what if anything they updated.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TiffAlt, I was eyeing that same pair of Volkl Flair SCs yesterday and today (even after I said I would not buy all the skis)! I agree the price didn't seem great for a 3-year old model.

I think Rossignol Nova (6? 8?) would be fun to try, too.

I will wait til next season...I will wait til next season...I will wait til next season...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna