• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Camp?

NAski

Diva in Training
Ok, not exactly gear but I am wondering if anyone has recently done a women's camp such as Women of Winter at Palisades? I am looking for recommendations, ideally in the western US. Or if you've done one of these and think it's better just to spend a day doing a private lesson that'd be helpful to know. I am an intermediate/advanced skier looking to improve technique and get comfy on the blacks and off piste. I've noticed that after having kids, I ski more tentatively and am trying to overcome the "being careful concern" and get back to skiing aggressively! THANK YOU ALL!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I did a Women of Winter camp, had a fabulous time and learned some techniques/tactics that were helpful. Where do you normally ski?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've done Taos Ski Weeks three times now ! Once was Women's Ski Week and the other two times were Private Ski weeks (you arrange for 4-5 people to be in your group). @marzNC has several threads about Taos Ski Weeks.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve done several WOW camps and clinics at both Palisades base areas since 2013. The last one I did was right before the pandemic. I was the second youngest in my group (and I am no longer young!), and one of the ladies said that she wanted to make sure we practiced jumps during the camp. I’m pretty sure there will be a place for you at the camp. They do a good job of sorting people on day one, so if you’re not good at characterizing your abilities, they will figure that out, as well as how charging you want to be. The clinics tend to be more cursory because they are only a few hours long and have fewer participants. @Rainbow Jenny has been shadowing/teaching WOW at Alpine, so she may have more insight.

I’ve also done the women’s camp at Whistler, back in 2011. It was great then, and I hope they’ve kept up their standards. It was a steal with the exchange rate from USD.

NAski

Diva in Training
I did a Women of Winter camp, had a fabulous time and learned some techniques/tactics that were helpful. Where do you normally ski?
Nice! It looks so fun, but definitely want to make sure I am getting lots of instruction (I need it!) I love to ski Steamboat, Heavenly, Homewood and just discovered Whistler this year -- oh wow, that was amazing

NAski

Diva in Training
I've done Taos Ski Weeks three times now ! Once was Women's Ski Week and the other two times were Private Ski weeks (you arrange for 4-5 people to be in your group). @marzNC has several threads about Taos Ski Weeks.
that's great to know that you can build your own group, great tip -- thank you!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just so you know: Diva West will be at Taos next winter, and we're going to arrange to have a Ski Camp there. It'll be the end of February. If we et enough people interested, we could have a group rate. Go here.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Camps versus privates, it depends. Having coached both, I feel that some women thrive in the group scenario, but a private will.allow more individual focus time. Camps, with a well matched crew both skills, energy and personality wise can be mind blowingly amazing. Some are less magical. Many participants end up skiing harder terrain in the camp than in a lesson due to many of the dynamics at work. The privates are so easy to tailor especially with only the one student..

marzNC

Angel Diva
Other than the Taos Ski Week, my ideal as an advanced skier has become taking semi-private lessons with 1-3 friends with similar ability and terrain interests. Took a few years to come up with travel/ski buddies that made that possible. The cost per person is usually less per hour per person for a 3-hour lesson than for a solo private 1 or 2 hour lesson. Even when there is an add-on cost for additional students.

I do semi-private lessons even at my home hill, which means working on fundamentals on groomers. Often the lesson is with a friend who is an intermediate. When working with a very experienced instructor (20+ years experience, usually PSIA Level 3), a lesson with friends of mixed ability can still be very useful for the advanced skier(s).

Some resorts charge the same for 1-5 students. That was one reason I asked my two ski buddies to do my first lesson at JH with @snoWYmonkey back in 2014. Was even reasonable to go for the Early Start 4-hour morning lesson.

A key reason I like the Taos Ski Week concept is that the lessons are only in the morning. I have a pretty good sense of how the Alta Ski Camps run. Regardless of what ability level or emphasis, the people attending the camps are involved from essentially 7:00am to the early evening with camp activities. That's too intense for me.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sure Big Sky will offer their 3-day women's clinic next year in January and March. It's a really fun clinic lead by very qualified instructors. I researched quite a few women's clinics and my short list of camps include Telluride, Palisades Tahoe of course, and Jackson Hole.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Ok, not exactly gear but I am wondering if anyone has recently done a women's camp such as Women of Winter at Palisades? I am looking for recommendations, ideally in the western US. Or if you've done one of these and think it's better just to spend a day doing a private lesson that'd be helpful to know. I am an intermediate/advanced skier looking to improve technique and get comfy on the blacks and off piste. I've noticed that after having kids, I ski more tentatively and am trying to overcome the "being careful concern" and get back to skiing aggressively! THANK YOU ALL!
Try "women's Edge" clinic in Aspen, CO. A small group up to 5 4 day clinic. You can find the info on ASPENSNOWMASS.COM

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I teach intermediates in the Sunday morning women of winter clinic at Alpine Meadows. I have not shadowed the 3 day WoW at Palisades although they are immensely popular and sell out within hours.

I believe in the value of multiple day lessons with the same instructors, especially if video and reviews are included. And supplement your learning from days on snow with online videos, books, and forum discussions from reputable sources/individuals.

I’ve worked with phenomenal level 2 instructors who will not go for level 3 cert because they cannot do the hop turns. And I know level 3 instructors who have aged out or with teaching styles not to my taste. So I would not strictly based my choice of instructor/coach on cert level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna