• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski buying advice please - Echo 8, Cloud 9, Cloud 11?

Skisnow

Certified Ski Diva
I used to ski on a Rossignol Echo 8 163. I loved them, they were like a pretty, more relaxed race ski but could still hold their own. Prior to that I was racing on a Rossignol 9SL.

I’m just returning to skiing after injury now, I’ve had a pregnancy, baby, various fertility treatments, miscarriages, another baby and then a period of horrible illness where I spent three months indoors unable to go anywhere or do anything and on high dose steroids. So managed to lose 40lbs in pregnancy weight and gain it back again in three months.

I now have diastasis recti and a pre existing back condition plus am overweight and unfit. I’ve started rehab in the gym but would like to get back on skis.

I’m 5’7”-5’8” and currently 185-190lbs normal weight is 145-150lbs.

So a few weeks ago I hopped on my Echo 8s and took them for a run at my local (fairly enormous) snow dome. I did two runs and I was exhausted. Not only that I simply wasn’t having fun, every turn took a huge amount of effort and I wasn’t getting the usual kick out of the turns I normally enjoy and wow they felt heavy.

Clearly they are too much ski for me right now. So I am looking for a new ski, something lighter and more forgiving but still able to be pushed as my fitness improves and the muscle memory comes back.

I have been recommended the Atomic Cloud 11, they look fab but I am wondering if they will be just as much hard work as the Rossi. Should I instead look at the Cloud 9? Or will they be too soft? Are the Atomics quite ligt but still grippy? Or is there something else someone can recommend please?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I LOVE my Cloud 11's!! they are a supreme carving ski..
I ski the Eastern US mostly hard pack. these skis are a blast to ski. (i have the 163cm)
they are just under Atomic's race models with a lot of the same attributes

I 'was' a Rossi Girl for years and switched to Atomics when I fell in love with this woman's series of skis.
The 9's are a bit tamer, still a good ski.
The 11's are for more advanced skiers and do like to go fast, fabulous short and long turning ski and very stable.
Yes they are very light and very grippy. They don't have a huge 'sweet spot"/forgiveness but are an aggressive ski.
the 9's have bigger sweet spot but wonder if you'll over ski them once you're back in your groove?

Since you were/are a racer I would think you'll like them. (I'm old racer too on old Rossi 4s/4g's yes a long time ago)
Any chance atomic is having a demo day? Also the 2018 Atomics are now called 12's they are black instead of white -the 11's
I didn't notice any difference from the 11's to the 12's when I demo'd them just the top sheet (so save some$$ and buy the 11's)

Skiing will definitely get you back in shape and sounds like a nice break from all your Mom duties!

I hope you feel better and your conditioning and weight loss goals all are met!

Jilly

Staff member
Couple of things....when were the 8's last tuned? And that is ski soft, so maybe at this weight you're actually pushing them around. And another thought....how many days on them. They could just be wore out! I haven't been to an Atomic sell session yet. But as mentioned the 11 is now the 12. I think the 12 is a different ski than the 11. I'll find out for sure.

newboots

Angel Diva
I recall reading some posts about how difficult the indoor skiing is, recently. Could it be that the snow dome skiing is normally very difficult? There are no indoor facilities near me so I have no idea if your snow dome is the same thing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
See: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...g-how-to-best-use-the-time.22007/#post-351383

Somewhere in this thread we learn that the indoor skiing at this facility is extremely difficult. Could your snow dome be the same setup? Maybe it's not your skis? Or have you skied in the snow dome before, so you're sure it's the skis?

Just a random thought. Good luck with your comeback!
The Dubai "snow dome" is not at all like the belt device. It's a huge building with man-made snow. So I think the surface and skiing experience is more like man-made snow on short groomers in the Mid-Atlantic or a small place in the northeast. Several facilities like that in northern Europe and the UK.

Giant snow domes are planned for NJ and somewhere in northern China.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@Buttmonki - While reading your post, the first ski that came to mind is the Head Super Joy. It's super light weight, easy to turn, yet plenty stable when you demand more out of it. It's really a ski that will let you ski it as hard as you want, but won't punish you for not skiing it hard. Oh, and did I mention how light it is!??

Jilly

Staff member
So, the Cloud 11 is still around, or at least here in Canada. The Cloud 12 is more of a tuned down Redster for women.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to ski on a Rossignol Echo 8 163. I loved them, they were like a pretty, more relaxed race ski but could still hold their own. Prior to that I was racing on a Rossignol 9SL.

I’m just returning to skiing after injury now, I’ve had a pregnancy, baby, various fertility treatments, miscarriages, another baby and then a period of horrible illness where I spent three months indoors unable to go anywhere or do anything and on high dose steroids. So managed to lose 40lbs in pregnancy weight and gain it back again in three months.

I now have diastasis recti and a pre existing back condition plus am overweight and unfit. I’ve started rehab in the gym but would like to get back on skis.

I’m 5’7”-5’8” and currently 185-190lbs normal weight is 145-150lbs.

So a few weeks ago I hopped on my Echo 8s and took them for a run at my local (fairly enormous) snow dome. I did two runs and I was exhausted. Not only that I simply wasn’t having fun, every turn took a huge amount of effort and I wasn’t getting the usual kick out of the turns I normally enjoy and wow they felt heavy.

Clearly they are too much ski for me right now. So I am looking for a new ski, something lighter and more forgiving but still able to be pushed as my fitness improves and the muscle memory comes back.

I have been recommended the Atomic Cloud 11, they look fab but I am wondering if they will be just as much hard work as the Rossi. Should I instead look at the Cloud 9? Or will they be too soft? Are the Atomics quite ligt but still grippy? Or is there something else someone can recommend please?

Would you mind telling us what the steroid requiring illness was?

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Buttmonki - While reading your post, the first ski that came to mind is the Head Super Joy. It's super light weight, easy to turn, yet plenty stable when you demand more out of it. It's really a ski that will let you ski it as hard as you want, but won't punish you for not skiing it hard. Oh, and did I mention how light it is!??

What about the Epic Joy, it's profile is going to be closer to race ski width wise but it is going to be light, like the rest of the Joy line. It's not available in the U.S. only in Canada and overseas but you might be able to get it in the UAE.

elemmac

Angel Diva
What about the Epic Joy, it's profile is going to be closer to race ski width wise but it is going to be light, like the rest of the Joy line. It's not available in the U.S. only in Canada and overseas but you might be able to get it in the UAE.

I *believe* it has been brought to the US this year...but I could be mistaken. I've never skied it, nor spoken with anyone who has, so personally I can't compare the two (Super and Epic).

Jilly

Staff member
The Epic might be a little too narrow coming off the Echo's. The Rossi's at 74 or 75 vs the Epic at 68. And the Epic is to be a tuned down race ski for women.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From Atomic:
The Atomic Cloud Eleven XT is a perfect ski for strong intermediate to expert women that enjoy a lightweight ski that is extremely carvy and nimble edge to edge. A Full Length Vertical Sidewall increases the torsional strength and edge hold for making tight to medium radius turns on a steep groomer. The Cloud Eleven has the same Race Rocker that Atomic uses in their race skis that only has the front 5% of the tip being rockered with the remaining 95% of the ski with traditional high camber. The rocker in the tip will give you fast turn initiation, and the camber underfoot will deliver stronger edge hold, and a high amount of rebound. The Cloud Eleven has a combination of the Light Wood Core and Densolite Composite Core that uses Poplar Wood and foam that are very lightweight and very snappy for banging quick, tight turns. A Titanium Stabilizer is a single layer of Titanium that sits below the core to increase your stability and power, especially when you are reaching top speeds on a steep groomed black diamond. If you want a very stable and light ski for carving down the groomers the Atomic Cloud Eleven XT is the ski for you!
  • Full Vertical Sidewalls
  • Titanium Stabilizer
  • Race Rocker
  • Light Wood Core
  • Densolite Core
  • 1.86 kg/Per Ski (@162cm)

The new Atomic Cloud 12 is a powerful carving ski for expert skiing women who are looking for smooth carves, unmatched stability and edge hold on the groomers. Atomic's new Servotec Technology that comes from the World Cup Race Department to use a free-standing rod loaded with tension that expands out towards the shovel of the ski to enhance maneuverability and stability no matter how fast you ski. The rod is connected to an Elastomer adds rebound and spring to act like a power steering mechanism for the ski. The High Speed Sidecut allows the Cloud 12 to grip the snow easily. Atomic's Light Woodcore is made from Poplar Wood and a Titanium Stabilizer adds an extra smooth feel. Traditional Camber delivers a tremendous amount of rebound for precise and strong carves. The Cloud 12 has a base that comes with a World Cup Finish that keeps you moving fast with a smile on your face.

Servotec
  • High-Speed Sidecut
  • Full Sidewall
  • Light Woodcore
  • Titanium Stabilizer
  • Full Camber
  • World Cup Base Finish
SO the New Cloud's have 'Servotec' I demo'd them they skied just like my 11's I was on the 11's the day I demo'd and did not notice any changes. Hope this helps!

And here's about the Cloud 9's Sounds like Servotec is the same as stabilizers in my 11's?
The Atomic Cloud 9 makes an excellent ski for the intermediate to advanced skier who likes fantastic edge hold and stability on the frontside of the mountain. Atomic's Densolite Core is made from a vibration dampening composite material and a Titanium Stabilizer to add stability to provide you with a smooth ride down the mountain. Piste Rocker has a slight amount of rocker in the tip for quick turn initiation. Full Sidewalls grip icy slopes to give you control and comfort in tricky conditions. Atomic's Servotec Light Construction uses an Elastomer Inlay that runs through a channel that moves down towards the tip of the Cloud 9 for vibration free skiing and stability when you feel like skiing fast.

• Servotec Light
  • Full Sidewall
  • Densolite Core
  • Titanium Stabilizer
  • Piste Rocker

Skisnow

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for all your replies.

To answer questions.

Ski Dubai is like a perfect hard packed groomed run without any ice or slush and a very funky smell! It’s only about a quarter of a mile long though.

However they are building a new ski run which is going to be three quarters of a mile long!

My illness was something called PUPPPs it’s an itchy pregnancy rash. It’s supposed to clear up within a few weeks of having a baby. Mine didn’t, it exploded and I broke out in huge hives all over. It was unbearable, I’d have another five c-sections rather than experience itching like this again, I had multiple rounds of IVF and surgeries before the pregnancy and nothing as horrific as this. I basically spent three months crying non stop, scratching myself until I bled, unable to wear clothes (they caused breakouts), taking ice baths with air con turned to max and never exerting myself at all (any kind of heat make me break out). So they stuck me on prednisolone, the highest dose that is safe whilst nursing, and it just about suppressed the rash. Finally I had something called UV light therapy (which insurance refused to cover ) that seems to have cleared most of it up (I still have two small patches). Unfortunately prednisolone suppresses healing and that combined with the weight gain probably assisted with the very large gap I have (diastasis recti). I’m also waiting for results from DEXA scan to see if there is any bone loss

Before my initial back injury (2010) I had a pair of Volkl Fuegos which I liked but they kept me on my toes, fun but if I forgot I had them on they definitely let me know also these days I’m not so much one for skiing fast and I think these skis like to go fast. So I got the Echo 8 as a more laid back ski. First run on them I absolutely loved them. For the perfect conditions in ski Dubai and for doing lots of nice carving turns they were fantastic and very easy and almost relaxing to ski on.

But I’m not getting that from them now, they’re just not fun anymore.

My plan was to jump on the skis to shift some of the weight. Also they are running instructor courses here and I am hoping to do a refresher. Lastly my 3 year old has just started skiing and at the rate she is going I am worried she’ll be outskiing me soon! I want to take her on a ski break to Zermatt or Whistler but not until I’ve got my mojo back as I need to be able to ski a day without being exhausted and keep up with her to ensure she doesn’t go skiing off. She’s skiing 2-3 hours a week at the moment and is just about parallel turning in one direction (in a wide stance) and doing a wedge christie the other way.

The Rossi’s have barely been skied on I haven’t even taken them on a real mountain yet! Just Ski Dubai. So I am looking for something that will be a stop gap and once I get my fitnesss level back up and get on a few one day technique camps (a company called Warren Smith run some great one day camps in the U.K. snow domes) I’ll probably sell them and go back to the Rossis or maybe the Fuegos or something new for a day when I want to have a blast.

So I just want something light, turney, that is not super stiff but also not like spaghetti purely for improving fitness and working on technique at ski Dubai.

Sorry for the essay and thank you for all your advice so far.

Skisnow

Certified Ski Diva
Oh just to clarify I had forgotten about the Fuegos and actually stopped skiing on the SLs in about 2008 (we came to Dubai in 2009). When I first arrived here all the skiers were pretty awful (they actually have some great skiers now) and the rental skis have no edges, plus everyone claims to be ‘advanced’ (then skis straight down in a wide parallel stance before crashing) so the ski techs will not set a din for an advanced skier. So the local race coach (who was trying to coach a bunch of people who didn’t know the meaning of the word carve) lent me his (playtime) skis for the first few years I was here which I think were a crossmax or something. Then I got the Fuegos then the Echo 8s.

newboots

Angel Diva
You have really been through the wringer! I hope you find the skis that help you love skiing again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly