• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski boots too big?

Malerie McArdle

Diva in Training
This is my first year skiing (ever!) and I instantly fell in love, and so bought my own skis, poles, etc. My boyfriend got me a beautiful pair of ski boots for Christmas, and I've been skiing in them all season, but I feel like they might be too big. They seemed to fit when I first tried them on, but now that I've skied in them 20+ times, my foot feels way too narrow inside of the boot, and it almost feels like there might be too much space in the toe box (my toes don't touch the end of the boot, even when standing normally without flexing). My foot measures just over 27cm, so the boots are 27.5cm, so theoretically, this is the correct size, right? I'm typically a size 10 in street shoes (10.5 in trail runners because I like the extra toe space).
Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a way to fix a boot that's slightly too large/narrow? I love the boots, and where they were a gift, I would feel horrible if I couldn't continue to ski with them next season.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best to find a bootfitter to take a look. It involves more than just the sole length to get a good fit in any boots.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree, see a bootfitter, but just for reference I wear a size 11 street shoe and wear 26.5 ski boots. Technically I measure 27.5 on the brannock, but I've never found a 27.5 boot that isn't too big. A bootfitter will help you find the right fit.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree with others re: see a bootfitter. For another reference point, I wear a size 10 street shoe and 26.5 ski boots. I've now had the pleasure of owning two pairs - both 26.5, but one pair was far too narrow for my feet causing nerve pain, feet falling asleep, and bunion pain. I had to exchange them for a pair with a different volume and forefoot shape.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I wear a 9.5 and my daughter wears a 10 and we both wear a 25/25.5 ski boot. My daughter's foot is the same size as mine she just has longer toes so goes for the 10. I measure a 25.5 on the Brannock. You could be a mondo 26/26.5 but 27/27.5 sounds big to me. Another check from me in the "see a boot fitter" box.

LA Coombs

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a shoe size 8 and wear a 25.5 boot and they fit like a glove, so I think, like regular shoes, it probably also depends on the brand.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I'm a shoe size 8 and wear a 25.5 boot and they fit like a glove, so I think, like regular shoes, it probably also depends on the brand.
That is interesting. I currently have Nordica and Atomic boots and previously wore Lange and they were all 25.5. Some variation in fit, but not enough to change size.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m a size 8 street shoe, 23.5 ski boot. Really depends on more dimensions of the foot than just length, and different brands fit different shaped feet better as well. If you’re asking the question about them being too big, they probably are. They should fit like a firm handshake on your whole foot, and you shouldn’t feel extra space. A bootfitter can determine if they can make them more snug or if you’d be better off in a different boot/size.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are many ways to take up room in a boot that is loose. Too long is another matter. It is common for novices to go for a comfort fit plus, then realize they sacrificed too much performance. I have to take up room with extra footbeds and padding and on the ankle and a custom liner, and that's even in a low volume boot. 23.5 length but 21 sized ankle! Good luck.

Malerie McArdle

Diva in Training
Thank you ladies! Ugh, I was hoping this size would work out, but I think I may need a new boot next season. I did see a boot fitter, who put in a heel lift and a (L pad? I forget what it's called), which helps keep my heel and ankle from moving around now. But the sides of my feet still slosh around inside the boot. I'll go back to him and see if there is anything else he can do. They aren't crazy loose where I feel like I can't ski in them, I just feel like I'd have a little better control in a tighter boot.

newboots

Angel Diva
You will have better control in a snug, well-fitting boot! And skiing will be much more fun

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you ladies! Ugh, I was hoping this size would work out, but I think I may need a new boot next season. I did see a boot fitter, who put in a heel lift and a (L pad? I forget what it's called), which helps keep my heel and ankle from moving around now. But the sides of my feet still slosh around inside the boot. I'll go back to him and see if there is anything else he can do. They aren't crazy loose where I feel like I can't ski in them, I just feel like I'd have a little better control in a tighter boot.
What boot do you have? One other thing that can be done is to put a shim under the liner right on the boot board. It's a stopgap but can take up some volume.

I could write a novel on how to take up space in boots. My feet are as low volume as you'll see anywhere, including my ankles. I am currently getting set up in a race boot, as low volume boots for the masses are STILL too big for me.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a safety issue when boots are this loose. The skis can turn while your feet don't. The skis can tip in reaction to the snow while your feet are not tipping, and when a ski tips, it will turn. If you try to side-slip, your feet will slide sideways in the boots and you'll lose control of your edging. This will happen to some extent in each turn as well.

Think about that. There could be consequences. And your sense of security while skiing will be tentative for a good reason. If you feel insecure on the slopes, it's not you, it's the boots.

From your descriptions, it sounds like your boots are so large on your feet that nothing will effectively make them fit appropriately.

See a real bootfitter in a real ski shop, one who has been certified as a bootfitter, not a shop salesman who works in the boot section. Call ahead to make an appointment. Expect to spend more than an hour being fitted. After President's week, boots will go on sale.

Last edited:

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Happy feet, happy life! My first pair of boots was a complete disaster. I did not go to a boot fitter, bought them at Outdoors, Inc. in Memphis, Tennessee from some dude who had zero knowledge, so I ended up with a color I liked in a size that was comfy. That was close to 30 years ago and my feet still remember how much I hated skiing in those boots. It was so bad I switched to snowboarding for 15 years just because of the boots! Now I'm back to skiing and absolutely loving my new professionally fitted boots. Not only did size absolutely matter, but he took the shape of my foot into consideration when choosing brands. It's amazing how different each brand felt, even though the size was the same. The right bindings make things good, the right skis make things so much better, but the right boots are the most critical piece in the equation... in my opinion ;). In other words, go to a professional boot fitter. You will not be sorry.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
My bootfitter measured my foot length, width, instep, and looked at my arch. He took into consideration my height, weight, and leg length. He was able to immediately eliminate a large selection of boots on the wall and narrow down my options to two brands and styles. And as commented above, it was funny how the a size in one brand felt different than the same size in another even when the boot specs "should" have worked with my foot. Even then once I found the best fit, my fitter still had to do a little bit of work What a difference a snug, well fitting boot as made to my skiing. My previous boots were too loose and that really affected my skiing and my confidence in feeling secure and able to trust my skis.

newboots

Angel Diva
My chiropractor, an experienced skier but naive about equipment, just moved to Vermont and went to a swap to buy skis and boots. We swap skiing stories at all my appointments!

I learned that her bindings were no longer indemnified, her skis felt like planks, and her boots were sloshy. She got a bonus at Christmas and went to my fav bootfitter. “They feel like part of my foot!” I gave her an old pair of Dynastars we had here (with bindings approved by Mr. Blizzard) and she came to my favorite bootfitter.

What a difference! Now she is excited and smiling when we exchange ski stories.
Just another boot story with a happy ending!

knolan12

Angel Diva
Ooh just echoing that my first pair of ski boots were 27.5 (I wear a size 10 in street boots, 9.5 in regular shoes) and were a gift from my mom. I found out two seasons ago that they were 2 sizes too big from my local ski shop and my current boots are 25.5. I have other issues with my feet/potentially boots, but when I put on my old boots as a comparison, I definitely realized they had been much too big (my foot was nowhere near the toe box when standing in them).

Malerie McArdle

Diva in Training
Ooh just echoing that my first pair of ski boots were 27.5 (I wear a size 10 in street boots, 9.5 in regular shoes) and were a gift from my mom. I found out two seasons ago that they were 2 sizes too big from my local ski shop and my current boots are 25.5. I have other issues with my feet/potentially boots, but when I put on my old boots as a comparison, I definitely realized they had been much too big (my foot was nowhere near the toe box when standing in them).

I had the same issue, my toes weren't touching the ends of the boot, even when standing up straight. And I had too much movement in the sides of my boots.
I got re-measured this morning, and the boot fitter told me that I should be in a 26.5. I tried on a few different pairs, and left with one that fits really well, and added a custom footbed because I have weird arches (lol).
I put my old boots on afterward as a comparison, and there is a HUGE difference. The entire boot is narrower and a little stiffer, too, and feels much more snug around my entire foot. I don't have that extra lateral movement anymore.
I haven't skied in them yet, but pending some better weather, I can't wait to try them out! ❄

MissySki

Angel Diva
I had the same issue, my toes weren't touching the ends of the boot, even when standing up straight. And I had too much movement in the sides of my boots.
I got re-measured this morning, and the boot fitter told me that I should be in a 26.5. I tried on a few different pairs, and left with one that fits really well, and added a custom footbed because I have weird arches (lol).
I put my old boots on afterward as a comparison, and there is a HUGE difference. The entire boot is narrower and a little stiffer, too, and feels much more snug around my entire foot. I don't have that extra lateral movement anymore.
I haven't skied in them yet, but pending some better weather, I can't wait to try them out! ❄

Congrats, this sounds great!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly