• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski boots for wide calves

Sbono9599

Diva in Training
Hi everyone! This is my first time trying to get back out to ski in about 15 years. I loved skiing and would really like to get back into it. Unfortunately I am having a problem finding ski boots that fit my calves. My calves are about 19-20 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am getting very discouraged and am losing hope that I will be able to get back out on the mountain again. Thank you in advance!!!

Jilly

Staff member
What have you tried on? And have you seen a boot fitter? Calf width might be the least of your problems.

Sbono9599

Diva in Training
What have you tried on? And have you seen a boot fitter? Calf width might be the least of your problems.
I have tried dabello and one style of Salomon. The store I went to was not very helpful and I got pretty discouraged. I have. It seen a boot fitter. How do I find one?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi @Sbono9599 - I have really wide calves, and I want to share my experience with you because I kjnow it can get very frustrating. The most important thing is, as @Jilly said - find a good bootfitter. First of all, where do you live? Likely someone on this forum will be able to direct you to a great person.

I can also share my experience with you - largely to reassure you that a good bootfitter can make a boot fit to calves, it is about finding the right fit in other places first.

I have a pretty large calf - very similar to your size - and, when I started skiing, I decided I needed new boots because rental boots were so bad for my calves and painful. I went to my bootfitter and, at the time, after trying on a number of boots, we settled on the Atomic Livefits - mostly to accommodate my calf. At first they felt fine, but after a season, when the liner had packed out, they were WAY too big for my foot. The livefits were made for wide feet. My feet are pretty average, but I just have large calves. The more advanced a skier I became, the bigger the problem the Livefits were becoming. For me, the biggest lesson has been not to get distracted by the wider calf. Many boots can be tricked out at the top to accommodate a wider calf, especially if the cuff is lower - but even that is not a deal breaker.

I know this may be redundant with a number of other threads, but I'll share here what my current bootfitter told me, especially for women with wide calves, in terms of getting a good fit. He said that when you fit a boot: first fit instep, then toe length, then heel snugness then calf. The instep is one of the things that is the least able to be changed on a boot, so whether you have a high or a low instep will matter the most. Then length - your toes should be touching the front on the boot, but not smashed in front. When you lean forward, flex the boot, the toes should pull back and your heel should sit snuggly in the back. Then you look at the heel snugness, then the calf diameter is the last thing.

With a wide calf, a boot fitter might want to put you in a wide boot. This happened to me multiple times. My first ski boot, as I mentioned, was an Atomic Live fit in a 27. I didn't realize it at the time because my calf felt so much relief compared to the rental boots, but the boot was way too wide and way too big for me. Now, I'm in an Atomic Hawx Magna in a 26 and I love them. But I wouldn't have known that I would love them when I first tried them because they were nowhere near being able to be buckled up. I had to trust my bootfitter.

I've tried on many boots with my calves, and will say that the Livefit is great for people with a wide foot (106mm last) and a high instep. The Dalbello Kyra 95s (100 mm last I think) are also a great option for a wide calf, but a lower instep. The Hawx are kind of a happy medium (102 mm last). They fit my higher instep, but not so wide foot, and the whole calf area has been adjusted to fit with some cutting, flaring and moving of buckles. I also had one toe that consistently kept hitting the front (on my left boot), but my bootfitter just punched out that area and it's fine now.

So basically, the trick is to find a good boot fitter, and don't let anybody tell you that the calf is the part of your foot that is the most important to fit first. If a bootfitter looks to get a boot to fit your calf first, run away - those are the bootfitters I've had bad experiences with. Get the foot part right (instep, length, heel) that is what you need to make good contact with your ski. Then work on the calf part. A good boot fitter will know how to make the calf part work.

Sbono9599

Diva in Training
Thank you so much for your response. It made me feel much better about hopefully finding a boot that will fit me and feel good! I live in Beverly ma. If anyone knows of a boot fitter in or near my area it would be greAtly appreciated! Thank you again!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I'm sure there are some Massachusetts divas who can help out here, or some who may know of bootfitters nearby - @MissySki maybe? @marzNC doesn't live in MA, but is super knowledgeable about anything skiing related. Maybe some southern VT divas to? @SallyCat ?

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Babette asked for boot fitter recommendations in the Boston area a few months ago. All I know for sure is that the ski shop at Wachusett seems quite well respected.

I found Ski Monster in downtown Boston online during the summer. But heard something at the Boston Ski Expo that makes me inclined to suggest sticking with a ski shop that's been around for a decade or more instead.

@liquidfeet ? @diymom ?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been to a bootfitter here yet, except for footbeds for my youngest. I think @Divegirl has been to Country Ski and Sports here in Quincy. From all of the boots I have tried on randomly, just to see how they compare, I find that Head boots are the best for wide calves out of the box. But as others have mentioned, there is the rest of the foot to consider too.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a tool that a bootfitter can buy that stretches the top of the cuff outward for wide cuffs. Most bootfitters don't have that tool. The guy who manufactures it lives in South Carolina and I've talked with him. Can't remember his name, but it doesn't matter here. @Sbono9599, you need to find a bootfitter who has that tool. Where do you live and ski? Maybe someone knows which bootfitter near you is most likely to have it.

Oh oh you live in Beverly. We are neighbors! I'll look at my notes and give you some names of bootfitters you can call. This will require a drive, though, but not necessarily an overnight stay unless you want to ski them and go back to the bootfitter in case you need tweaks.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Hello @Sbono9599 - as @diymom mentioned, I do use Country Ski in Quincy for my boots but Quincy is a hike from Beverly, you could probably get to NH faster than Quincy. I have demo'd skis from Stan and Dan's in North Conway - they were recommended by some I absoluterly trust but I have not used them for boots. I don't know if they have locations other than North Conway. @marzNC is correct about the shop at Wachusett - very good people. Again, I haven't used their boot fitting services but I have done a number of demos with them - wonderful people. Hopefully Divas on the North Shore can recommend a shop(s).

Also, I have the joy of very wide calves and wonky feet & legs. I had custom boots for about 10 yrs (Dale Boot) and I looked all over for a new boot. Neither women's or men's would fit my calves and wonky feet & legs. I stopped at Country Ski about 5 yrs ago on a whim figuring I was done skiing - they were my last ditch effort and they came through. Since then, I have had Dalbello Aspires (75 Flex) and I now have Lange SX90s. Still have the wide calves and wonky feet and legs but they are much happier now.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depending on boot fit and your balance in the boots, a good bootfitter can solve your calf problem in a number of ways, including something as simple as heel lifts or moving the top buckle.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As someone with larger calves, I still don't fully get how a boot fitter can make the calf of a boot fit if it isn't already wider, and mostly because of the liner. I have tried on so many brands, including ones that are billed as good for larger calves. Almost all of them pinch between the edge of the liner and the liner tongue. Even if the buckles were moved, and the shell stretched, I don't see how it would eliminate the pinching at the liner when buckled snugly enough. I've only found one brand so far that doesn't pinch at the liner. (Not counting wrap liners, like Full Tilt. I just find those bulky.)

Jilly

Staff member
They can bell out the top of the cuff. They can flatten the tongue so it doesn't curve as much. They can move buckles and bales. And stretch the shell. How do I know? Had a pair that had all of this done! Wrong boot to start with. Cost me double to get them to fit. Never again buying at a spring sale.

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
I have/had this problem. I used to love Lange boots, but unfortunately they cannot accommodate my "full" calves as they call it. I was in so much pain once at MRG, I had to see a boot fitter in the middle of the day. What happens he said, is that with those particular boots they were hitting a certain spot. If I stopped, my feet would swell up. He did some cutouts and put in a heel lift. It helped a bit, but did not solve the problem.

Last year my husband treated me to new boots. I have the Salomon quest 90. I love them. They are so comfortable. I can go all day without being in pain.

The other thing to think about is the temperature and socks. Thin socks of course. When it is colder you can tighten your boots up more. When it is warm you may not want to tighten up as much. And when going on the lift, undo open your buckles. My right foot/calf is bigger on my left, so I always tend to do that one first.

I still don't like to stop for lunch. :-)

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used Boston Ski and Tennis in Newton last year and was pretty happy. They put me in Tecnicas which have a plastic piece at the top of the back of the boot that they clip a little heater to, then you stand there and it molds the top of the boot to match you calf.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always fit into Solomons (not sure of model they were 6yrs old until I got Atomic Hawks last yr Both brands I think are comfy for muscular calves

I"ve never fit into Langes, My Rossi's were my race boots but Oh so Tight!! ugh!!

I have 1 foot bigger than other, I wear a 'fat' sock on the little foot and thinner sock on big foot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna