• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Boots Flex

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
I went for boots shopping recently. 3 reputable boot fitters brought me various boots all with flex of 95. However, I skied with one L3 PSIA certified instructor and former master ski racer, she recommend me go with flex between 100 and 110 based on seeing how I skied.

I plan to use these boots for at lease 3-5 years and hope it could help me explore more challenge terrains and increase my seasonal milage. I am also hoping to use these boots (will be my first new boots) to demo some skis to find my dream pair of skis. I currently ski blue and groomed black runs and hoping to get 30+ days on the mountain this season.

Should I ask to try higher flex boots?

Tennessee

Angel Diva
If you want to, sure. My personal preference is for a pretty soft boot. And I’ve been skiing a long time and was a ski patroller for 27 years. I don’t think the stiffness of the boot necessarily coincides with your ability level. I like to be able to really flex my ankles. Personal preference I think. Maybe I’m just weird :bounce:

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, you absolutely should. An expert professional who has seen you ski recommended the appropriate flex to you, and shop dudes (I'm assuming they were all dudes..) are trying to sell you a softer boot than what you asked for.

I bought my first pair of boots at the beginning of my second season, and they were 100 flex. I'm 5'4" & 115lbs for reference and have never had issues being able to flex my ankles enough.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Don't get too hung up on flex numbers. They aren't even an industry standard. All that can be said is that for given brand, 80 is softer than 90, which is softer than 100-110.

I'm an older, solid advanced skier at this point. I'm petite and pretty strong these days. I think the flex on my current boots is around 90. I don't need a "performance" fit. A recreational fit that's snug but not super snug works just fine. For big mountains out west, I'm skiing off the groomers over 70% of the time.

What an experienced boot fitter needs to know is what type of terrain and skiing you are planning to do. What did you tell the boot fitters? Which region are you skiing the most? A groomed black at my home mountain in Virginia would be a blue or even a green at destination resorts in the Rockies.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 100lbs and have been skiing 85 flex boots for quite a few years. In spite of my weight I'm reasonably strong. I workout with a personal trainer 3 days per week. At the beginning of this season I felt like I wasn't getting support. It seemed I was holding myself up. My legs felt more achey than they should. I contacted my boot fitter and found out that the company who makes my boots made some changes in them. My boot fitter is in Vail so she recommended I try to find the boot in my size locally and see if I liked the new fit.

I found the boots in an 85 flex. The shop didn't have the 95 flex. The boot fitter tried his best to convince me I couldn't flex a 95 boot. Went to my boot fitter. Ended up with the 95 flex boot. Better support, better liner, better performance. I'm so glad I didn't listen to the local boot fitter.

One thing my boot fitter did say it that if I find the boots too stiff they can be softened.

mustski

Angel Diva
I went to a softer boot after years of 100+ flex - depending on the make from110-120. Boot fitter dropped me down to 95 and I like it better except in spring when it feels too soft.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
One thing my boot fitter did say it that if I find the boots too stiff they can be softened.
They can. My older Technica Inferno boots are 100 flex and boot fitter softened them up.... They are now over 5 years old and 2 yrs ago got new Intuition dream liners and boots are still in good shape..... yes probably should be thinking about new boots but honestly only ski between 30-40 days a season .... I usually do an out of country or out of state trip and several Tahoe trips each season..... No weekend or holiday skiing if I can help it...

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
Don't get too hung up on flex numbers. They aren't even an industry standard.
That's exactly what I was told by one of the boot fitters!

What an experienced boot fitter needs to know is what type of terrain and skiing you are planning to do. What did you tell the boot fitters?

Yes they all asked that plus how many days do I ski each season. I told them I plan to ski 30+ days from now on and I ski at Ikon and/or Epic resorts (Squaw Alpine mostly this season) in Tahoe area.

Which region are you skiing the most? A groomed black at my home mountain in Virginia would be a blue or even a green at destination resorts in the Rockies.

So far I have been skiing exclusively in Tahoe region (including Mammoth) but hope to check out Utah and/or Colorado in the next couple of years and east coast some day. The challenge I have been facing is that although I am most comfortable and confidence on groomers, I often found myself maneuvering(very slowly) in bumps, trees or icy runs if I head out with a more adventurous spirit or with my more adventurous kids. I am still at a stage where I am exploring my boundaries :-)

I am very grateful for the help and advise I am getting from this forum. Thank you SkiDivas!

marzNC

Angel Diva
So far I have been skiing exclusively in Tahoe region (including Mammoth) but hope to check out Utah and/or Colorado in the next couple of years and east coast some day.
Have you found the on-going regional threads that cover those regions? When you have 25 posts, you'll be able to see the Meet On The Hill (MOTH) thread for Mammoth. There are other Divas Only sections as well. Can you see Getting To Know You? That's one way to do a self-introduction that makes it easier for other Divas who ski in your area to know you've joined TSD.

The challenge I have been facing is that although I am most comfortable and confidence on groomers, I often found myself maneuvering(very slowly) in bumps, trees or icy runs if I head out with a more adventurous spirit or with my more adventurous kids. I am still at a stage where I am exploring my boundaries :-)
Getting boots sorted out will help build confidence for more complex terrain.

MotherDuck

Certified Ski Diva
Have you found the on-going regional threads that cover those regions? When you have 25 posts, you'll be able to see the Meet On The Hill (MOTH) thread for Mammoth. There are other Divas Only sections as well. Can you see Getting To Know You? That's one way to do a self-introduction that makes it easier for other Divas who ski in your area to know you've joined TSD

Aiming to reach 25 posts soon :-) Yes I can see Getting To Know You. Here is my self-introduction post from last year when I just found the forum.

Sandrinjo

Certified Ski Diva
I ski a 95 flex and it is great for most of the conditions but every time i am skiing ungroomed back of the mountain (steep moguls and trees, variable terrain) i wish my boots were stiffer. I keep tightening my buckles and actually am lookin for stiffer boots right now.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can usually make a higher-flex boot softer, but not vice-versa. From 95 to 110 is not a huge leap, so if you find them too stiff, you should be able to adjust them a bit, depending on the model. I have 110 Langes with one of the bolts in the back of the shell removed to soften the flex.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
They can. My older Technica Inferno boots are 100 flex and boot fitter softened them up.... They are now over 5 years old and 2 yrs ago got new Intuition dream liners and boots are still in good shape..... yes probably should be thinking about new boots but honestly only ski between 30-40 days a season .... I usually do an out of country or out of state trip and several Tahoe trips each season..... No weekend or holiday skiing if I can help it...
Hi. That is interesting because I was told that boots cannot really get softer only stiffer. With that being said, a bootfitter took the bolts out. They are a bit easier to flex. I’m in a Nordica men’s pro 110. I was honest about my ability (advanced beginner) and the fact that if I am lucky if I get a dozen days in a year. Happy skiing

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I'm in mens Lange RX 120 LVs, but I'm also 5'10"and 180, so I can easily crush a too soft boot and ones with short cuffs. My previous boots were a women's Salomon 80 flex that I was crushing by end of last season and they were getting sloppy. I was hesitant when my fitter pulled out the 120s and even the 130s to try on. I trusted that he was putting me in something that would work based on my size and skills. If we needed to, we could remove one of the bolts to soften it up. Fitter was right. Boots are fantastic - they support me, are responsive. Only drawback is they clash big time with my outfit being navy and neon orange and don't have fun fuzzy liners. ☺️

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I'm in mens Lange RX 120 LVs, but I'm also 5'10"and 180, so I can easily crush a too soft boot and ones with short cuffs. My previous boots were a women's Salomon 80 flex that I was crushing by end of last season and they were getting sloppy. I was hesitant when my fitter pulled out the 120s and even the 130s to try on. I trusted that he was putting me in something that would work based on my size and skills. If we needed to, we could remove one of the bolts to soften it up. Fitter was right. Boots are fantastic - they support me, are responsive. Only drawback is they clash big time with my outfit being navy and neon orange and don't have fun fuzzy liners. ☺️
Funny because my boots are black and red and my skis are purples...and my jacket is blues....clash is cool. Lol. Thanks for the info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly