• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski boot protectors: Cat Tracks, Yak Tracks, etc.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Since I'm going to be booting up in my car this year, I'm thinking about buying a pair of ski boot protectors to protect my boot soles as I walk from the parking lot to the lift. Years ago I had a pair of Cat Trax, but I think there are other similar, and maybe better, solutions available now. I've been looking at SkiTrax, and I've been leaning in that direction.

So anyone have any recommendations?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
My new boots have GripWalk soles, so I probably won't bother. I did take a look at the Ski Trax site and found it confusing and frustrating that the sizes were specified not in mm-BSL, nor in mondopoint, but in the ever-arbitrary men's and women's American shoe sizes.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best ever. Just got them. I highly recommend Sidas.
https://www.sidas.com/en/boot-shoe-accessories/185-ski-boot-traction-black-3661267098697.html

These are the best version of them all (yes, I've tried three so far).
They are made of dense material and have strong construction at the intersections of parts so they won't tear when vulnerable. They are rockered for comfy walking.
One size - you adjust it to fit your boot with a Philips screwdriver.
Last but definitely not least, the pull strap on the heel is hefty and easy to grab.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry about the Euro pricing. The site will let me edit that post but unfortunately it gets garbled when I try. What's with that???

I got mine through Amazon using US dollars.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Best ever. Just got them. I highly recommend Sidas.
https://www.sidas.com/en/boot-shoe-accessories/185-ski-boot-traction-black-3661267098697.html

These are the best version of them all (yes, I've tried three so far).
They are made of dense material and have strong construction at the intersections of parts so they won't tear when vulnerable. They are rockered for comfy walking.
One size - you adjust it to fit your boot with a Philips screwdriver.
Last but definitely not least, the pull strap on the heel is hefty and easy to grab.

Those look good! Very sturdy. Can you tell me how small they can be adjusted? (I have small feet)

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With all the walking we'll be doing this season to have lunch in our vehicles, those might just be the best solution. I find Cattracks difficult to use. I've decided the only way I can store these kinds of boot protectors while I ski is to find a spot I will be passing on the way back from the base. Carrying them in any fashion while skiing is not workable for me. I don't even carry a phone if not necessary.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those look good! Very sturdy. Can you tell me how small they can be adjusted? (I have small feet)

They go down to boot sole length 260. I'm at 280. The sizes are very clearly marked by BSL.

I have not put them on in snow, of course, but they seem to be more solidly constructed than the cat trax I have, which don't come with a worthy heel puller at all. I bought and returned a pair of Yaktrax because their design just didn't match the bottom of my boots. They were the right size but I could not get them on. The brand is so respected that I found this odd. Maybe I bought wannabes from China that were very poorly engineered and just didn't realize it. My return worked.

newboots

Angel Diva
No significant difficulty getting them on? And what do you think about carrying them. Do you have a pocket big enough? (Or more importantly, do I?)

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No significant difficulty getting them on? And what do you think about carrying them. Do you have a pocket big enough? (Or more importantly, do I?)

I have to wonder about how to get them on, too. I know some of the yak tracks that I wear on my hiking boots are a beast and worse now with my increasingly arthritic fingers.

The way my hands are going I’ll look at those Nordica rear entry boots anyway! There may be days that trying to buckle my boots down, which are a perpetual fitting work in progress anyway, could become really difficult. And it’s not as though I’m in the lodge and able to ask all my friends to buckle me in! I already have to ask people to open screwtop bottles for me.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want something too big because I'm going to end up carrying them in my pocket. So maybe the Cat Trax would be better.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don't want something too big because I'm going to end up carrying them in my pocket. So maybe the Cat Trax would be better.
I've been using Cat Trax and been reasonably happy. I carry them in a jacket pocket if I'm not using a small backpack. Fit easily in the Kulkea Micropack.

The tip from a Diva years ago for adding a "pull" was useful. Only problem I had with the first pair is that I didn't get one on completely and lost it somewhere. So now I have three. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've been using Cat Trax and been reasonably happy. I carry them in a jacket pocket if I'm not using a small backpack. Fit easily in the Kulkea Micropack.

The tip from a Diva years ago for adding a "pull" was useful. Only problem I had with the first pair is that I didn't get one on completely and lost it somewhere. So now I have three. :smile:

They can be quite snug to start! Over the years mine have loosened enough that they go on really easy, and luckily still stay on securely.

marzNC

Angel Diva
That reminds me . . . there was a tip about soaking new Cat Trax in hot water, then putting them on boots and letting them sit for a bit.

Also a tip about putting duck tape over the strap that goes under the boots to help protect it.

Jilly

Staff member
Also a tip about putting duck tape over the strap that goes under the boots to help protect it.

Are you talking about the strap on a boot glove? My cat trax's don't really have a "strap". There is a stretchy piece that attaches the toe and heel together. To duct tape that would would make it lose it's elasticity.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Are you talking about the strap on a boot glove? My cat trax's don't really have a "strap". There is a stretchy piece that attaches the toe and heel together. To duct tape that would would make it lose it's elasticity.
Yeah, I wasn't quite awake this morning. Was thinking about Boot Gloves, not Cat Trax. :redface:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My cat trax were a huge nuisance. Think I may have thrown them away! Got them as was wearing out and replacing heels on ski boots b/c the walk thru northstar village was taking a toll. Really hard to get on, almost impossible after skiing. Also, no way I wanted those dirty things in my pocket while skiing so would leave behind a bench or a tree near the gondola. Then I would forget all about them at the end of the day and they'd be there the next day.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly