• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski boot protectors: Cat Tracks, Yak Tracks, etc.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a New England skiier currently and have grown used to booting up in lodge and storing my stuff in cubbies or lockers. Those days are no longer for this year. Does anyone recommend getting Cat Tracks or Yaktrax to walk from car to slopes? Anyone used both and prefer one over the other (given they have to live in my pocket)?
Yes, recommended. Often you'll be walking on gravel or asphalt in your boots and you won't want to mess up the lugs. Your binding interface needs to be protected. Also, these attachments make your walk on ice more secure. Do look at the Sidas ones as well. That's what I got and they are the best ever. I'll be locking mine on a rack while skiing; they won't fit in a pocket and I won't want to wedge them into the bottom of my ski pants. Others do that with the thinner light weight versions.

Reactions: alr

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The resourcefulness of people never ceases to amaze me. Here's a video of guy who made his own ski boot protectors. Not sure how well they work. And they don't protect the heel of the boot from wearing down, which can be an issue. But it's dirt cheap and doesn't look too difficult:.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The resourcefulness of people never ceases to amaze me. Here's a video of guy who made his own ski boot protectors. Not sure how well they work. And they don't protect the heel of the boot from wearing down, which can be an issue. But it's dirt cheap and doesn't look too difficult:.

Necessity and invention! I’m still dealing with the cat tracks I bought! They may be a beast to deal with when they are cold!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Necessity and invention! I’m still dealing with the cat tracks I bought! They may be a beast to deal with when they are cold!

Do you leave them on your boots when stored? This can help stretch them out a little ahead of using them.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you leave them on your boots when stored? This can help stretch them out a little ahead of using them.

I've never had (needed) these before. I took your earlier advice and heated them since NO WAY could I get them on my boots! I have about no hand strength anymore with arthritis. I managed to get them on the boots and left them there for now. But if they don't stretch I'm in trouble out in the cold.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've never had (needed) these before. I took your earlier advice and heated them since NO WAY could I get them on my boots! I have about no hand strength anymore with arthritis. I managed to get them on the boots and left them there for now. But if they don't stretch I'm in trouble out in the cold.

:goodluck: Here's hoping it works out alright for ya!

alr

Certified Ski Diva
I ended up getting cat tracks and did the hot water soak thing and put them on and left them on my boots. The walk from car to base was soo much better! I stored them inside my cuff attached to my boot Velcro strap. Worked out very well! I was able to get them back on the boots without too much of a struggle.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I heated mine I cut a narrow strip of old yoga mat and placed it around the toe piece of the boot before stretching the cat track over it. Stretched it out just a little more to make it easier to get on and off. (I use the remainder of the mat for booting up at the car)

Scribble

Angel Diva
I really want to get a set of grip walk soles, but one of my bindings isn't compatible and I don't want to have to switch them out all the time! For now, when I need to do a lot of walking I use yak trax. They're kind of bulky though, and I don't prefer to ski with a backpack, so I mostly try to arrive early and park closer to a lift even of its not the one I'd prefer to start from! :noidea:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I heated mine I cut a narrow strip of old yoga mat and placed it around the toe piece of the boot before stretching the cat track over it. Stretched it out just a little more to make it easier to get on and off. (I use the remainder of the mat for booting up at the car)

I am going to get a piece of yoga mat right now! I wrestled with these things yesterday and my arthritic fingers are not happy!

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Got yak trax (black and orange) as I lost one side of a pair last year.

They’re heavy duty and glide on the boot easily. I don’t have to wrestle with them.

They’re higher quality and not just one piece of plastic which is why I think they’re easier to deal with.

They also have rocker so when walking they tip your boots for you which is nice.

It’s heavier than the black one piece I had before so it is harder to stuff in my pocket.

But it comes with its own bag so if it gets dirty or mucked up it’s easy to keep separate if need be from the insides of my pockets and dump pockets

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump: for 2024

Now that Gripwalk has been around for a few years, for people who have Gripwalk boots is there still as much reason to get Cat Tracks or Yak Trax?

I really want to get a set of grip walk soles, but one of my bindings isn't compatible and I don't want to have to switch them out all the time! For now, when I need to do a lot of walking I use yak trax. They're kind of bulky though, and I don't prefer to ski with a backpack, so I mostly try to arrive early and park closer to a lift even of its not the one I'd prefer to start from! :noidea:

I've been using Cat Tracks more after getting replacement heel and toe pieces for my boots a couple years ago. Could be looking for new boots in a year or two, so trying to understand better the pros and cons of Gripwalk soles.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump: for 2024

Now that Gripwalk has been around for a few years, for people who have Gripwalk boots is there still as much reason to get Cat Tracks or Yak Trax?

I've been using Cat Tracks more after getting replacement heel and toe pieces for my boots a couple years ago. Could be looking for new boots in a year or two, so trying to understand better the pros and cons of Gripwalk soles.
I still like them for the extra traction. My gripwalk boots are very slippery if it's icy. I recently had to get new tracks because my new boots are smaller, so I went with the Sidas ones, which are adjustable in 1cm increments and looked sturdier than the Seirus adjustable ones. I also find walking longer distances more comfortable with them.

My tip is to get ones with a loop at the heel. Not only does it make taking them on/off easier, it gives me a place to run the cable lock, as I just attach them to a ski rack.

marzNC

Angel Diva
One reason I'd avoid GW for the next few years is that not all of my bindings are GW compatible, and I have no desire to start swapping out bindings due to my boots.
Yep, same here. No hurry to get new boots. Since the re-molding the Intuition liners from my previous boots to my current boots will give me more years in them, not in any hurry to deal with boot fitting. However, it was good to learn at Snowbound Expo that some boots sold with Grip Walk can be retro-fitted with non-Grip Walk soles.

I checked my skis today. The DPS Zelda bindings are Grip Walk. But not the Look bindings I had put on the Stormrider 85 demo skis bought in 2017 nor the bindings on the Yumis I bought used and only use I in the east.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One reason I'd avoid GW for the next few years is that not all of my bindings are GW compatible, and I have no desire to start swapping out bindings due to my boots.
another same! I still have 2 pair of skis that have bindings that are not grip walk compatible. When I got new boots this season, they came with grip walk installed but I was able to get alpine soles put on instead. First shop could not guarantee they would be able to get the alpine soles from Salomon as they had issues doing so last year apparently, but another shop had them in stock so I just ended up getting the boots and soles from the 2nd shop instead--same boot.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Back to cat tracks. I wear them more to protect the bottoms of the boots as I have canting. I slip on these as well as boots with gripwalk.

have given the daughter the yak traks

Jilly

Staff member
For some reason, I can't get the cat-tracks on my boots. So they are sitting in the closet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna