• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski boot protectors: Cat Tracks, Yak Tracks, etc.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My cat trax were a huge nuisance. Think I may have thrown them away! Got them as was wearing out and replacing heels on ski boots b/c the walk thru northstar village was taking a toll. Really hard to get on, almost impossible after skiing. Also, no way I wanted those dirty things in my pocket while skiing so would leave behind a bench or a tree near the gondola. Then I would forget all about them at the end of the day and they'd be there the next day.....

I can easily see me leaving stuff all over everywhere!

Jilly

Staff member
I can stuff the cat trax up under the gaiter on my grey ski pants. Put them right in front of the boots. So anyone with loose pants should be able to do that.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I love my cat trax and use one of those tiny key chain carabiners to hook them onto my pant belt loops. I put zip ties on the back openings to get them on and off more easilyy and put the carabiner through the zip tie loops.

Another solution is to see your bootfitter and invest in the super thin plastic plates that automatically come on some high-end race boots. I use those, too, on my raptors. They don't change your binding height appreciably and can be changed out. They can be pricey, but they are well worth it and eliminate the need for cat tracks.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Also, no way I wanted those dirty things in my pocket while skiing so would leave behind a bench or a tree near the gondola. Then I would forget all about them at the end of the day and they'd be there the next day.....

I used to just rub mine on the snow to get any dirt and sand off from walking in. Never seemed to be an issue since the material allowed everything to clean off really easily that way. Depends what you might be walking through though I guess. haha I was able to fold them up on themselves and stick them in pockets or a backpack depending on the day and jacket.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
I am a New England skiier currently and have grown used to booting up in lodge and storing my stuff in cubbies or lockers. Those days are no longer for this year. Does anyone recommend getting Cat Tracks or Yaktrax to walk from car to slopes? Anyone used both and prefer one over the other (given they have to live in my pocket)?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I love my cat tracks. They are a little bulky for pockets, unless your jacket is pretty baggy. They don’t fit as well in my fitted shell pockets. I prefer when I have a little backpack to stick them in. They are easy to use and very effective though.

Reactions: alr

MissySki

Angel Diva
I use CatTracks. I don’t stick them in my pocket. I loop each through the boot cuff carry strap and tuck under my pants gaiter hugging around my boots.

Do you use hotronics? I tried this method and found it too cumbersome around my legs with batteries too haha. But could be a good option for sure!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I decided on Cat Tracks over YakTrax because they are smaller. Fit fine in my jacket pocket when folded over a certain way. But I don't use them that often.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hate cat tracks. Hard to put on and a pain imo.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Let me share my experience with CatTracks. Follow the direction to soak them in hot water to soften them then put them on the boots. Leave them on the boots at all times. I also used a white laundry pen to mark which one is L or R on the heel piece so I always put them on the same side. They will then cure to the shape of the boot soles. I put on the toe piece first, run my hand along the middle, grab the heel piece and pull it over the heel. Then use the little tabs on the heel piece to button it up, so to speak. I have absolutely no problems putting them on.

Jilly

Staff member
Hate cat tracks. Hard to put on and a pain imo.

Me too. I do have a ski instructor friend that puts hers up in her leg gaitor. But the school suits are so loose. I could do it with my Avalanche pants maybe. I'm just buying new grip walk pads for mine.

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Me too. I do have a ski instructor friend that puts hers up in her leg gaitor. But the school suits are so loose. I could do it with my Avalanche pants maybe. I'm just buying new grip walk pads for mine.
Boo. I just checked my boot model and it is not grip walk compatible. I wish I had considered this when I was shopping for them last year.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Let me share my experience with CatTracks. Follow the direction to soak them in hot water to soften them then put them on the boots. Leave them on the boots at all times. I also used a white laundry pen to mark which one is L or R on the heel piece so I always put them on the same side. They will then cure to the shape of the boot soles. I put on the toe piece first, run my hand along the middle, grab the heel piece and pull it over the heel. Then use the little tabs on the heel piece to button it up, so to speak. I have absolutely no problems putting them on.

I didn’t do the soak part, but I did leave them on my boots all the time when I used to boot up at my car often. This really did help a ton. I put them on the same way you describe and don’t have any issues at all.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think I actually did this for one pair of Cat Tracks. But without the white pen marking. That's a good addition.

For assorted reasons, I've managed to lose just one more than once . . . just like socks.

Sandrinjo

Certified Ski Diva
I am a New England skiier currently and have grown used to booting up in lodge and storing my stuff in cubbies or lockers. Those days are no longer for this year. Does anyone recommend getting Cat Tracks or Yaktrax to walk from car to slopes? Anyone used both and prefer one over the other (given they have to live in my pocket)?
I have yaktrax and i love it, makes me feel like i am walking in my sneakers. I do ski with a backpack so i do bit have the “storing” problem.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Like"air", I'm trying to decide about cat tracks or yak trax because I anticipate a lot more walking over gravelly parking lots in boots this winter. I feel like I'm going to have bulges in every pocket (I'll look like a lumpy Mrs. Potato-Head) as I carry all the items I would normally leave in the locker, from the 'trax' to sandwiches, water, and more. Hurrah for loose instructor uniforms with large pockets!

FYI, last spring I bought a small, flexible (rolls up as you empty it) Platypus water 'bottle' that fits in a pocket. Gotta stay hydrated!

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Might be a good idea to merge this thread with the newer "cat tracks or yak trax' thread, as they are discussing the same thing!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna