• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Bibs: Yay or nay?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Reading the product description for this bib from Strafe website: "combined with the side zip and a stretch back panel, the special bib allows for easy exposure without having to remove your jacket every time you need to...you know...go."

I will.
I'm seeing a few reviews on the bib from people saying that because of the halter neck, they don't have to take their jacket off to use the bathroom with this bib - hopefully it works for you!

tjm235

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To clarify with most women’s bibs, if it has either side zips or dropseat, you don’t even need to unzip your jacket or mess with the upper bib portion to use the bathroom. I pretty much only wear bibs now because they are so comfortable and I actually find them easier if you have to pee in the woods! With the side zip ones you just unzip down to roughly your knees, pull pant to side out of the way. Dropseat (ie zipper runs up the side and over you butt) I haven’t used but have tried on and don’t think I’d like as they seem more difficult to get your under layers down and back in place. Side zip ones are great. I have bibs from Patagonia, Arc’teryx, and Flylow... all great for not having to mess with your jacket when having to use the bathroom. Strafe I didn’t like because you have to unzip your jacket and remove the top part of the bib.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So I sent BF the link to the Flylow Foxy Bibs in the Lupine color extra small for an idea (he will get, he loves easy when I provide links) for xmas. I am pretty long waisted and have no idea how these fit. I am typically an extra small as 5'1, 105 lbs but do not have a 30 yo body. That's because I'm not !
Also saw the TrewGear threwth bibs on Evo and decided to buy for him. Done.
That was easy.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m interested in trying on the Flylow Moxie bib.. I tried on the Foxy not too long ago and the small was a bit too tight on my thighs/hips. They fit, but not really any room for layers which is a problem considering they are a shell. I wasn’t really surprised as this is a trouble spot in bibs fitting for me. Then I tried the Medium and I was positively swimming in them. Hoping the Moxie might have that little extra space I need to make the small work.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been getting emails from TREWS the last couple days. Don't know how I got on their list. But they do have bibs and a sale on.

I was pretty interested in their products, just didn't like any of the colorways this year...might consider for the future though!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’m interested in trying on the Flylow Moxie bib.. I tried on the Foxy not too long ago and the small was a bit too tight on my thighs/hips. They fit, but not really any room for layers which is a problem considering they are a shell. I wasn’t really surprised as this is a trouble spot in bibs fitting for me. Then I tried the Medium and I was positively swimming in them. Hoping the Moxie might have that little extra space I need to make the small work.
I guess I'll find out xmas if the sizing works for me.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

So, just got my Moxie bibs today, I got the Medium and they are a little snug (COVID weight) but I'm going to keep them! I am 5'4", 145lb (about 10-15lb above my normal weight) but I have athletic thighs and butt (from competitive figure skating) with small waist. I like the fit because the back was snug to my waist and flank region, no gaps which is nice, it's pretty flattering. By snug, I mean that I can get a wool baselayer underneath it but was a little tight in the thighs and hips, not enough to restrict any movement, but I typically like a looser cut. If I got the large, I would be swimming in them! I only have one other pair of bibs, Outdoor Research Hemispheres in a medium, the sizing is very similar.

Other nice things about the Moxie, as a shorter lady, the thigh pockets tend to be too low for me to use functionally because anything I put in them tends to hit my knee, the Moxie has them up a little higher which is great.

The access zip is on the left (different from my OR bibs), so I'll have to get used to that for going to the bathroom. The Moxie also has velcro at the top of the access zip which is fine, but my OR bibs have a snap which I think is probably a lot more durable in the long run.

Thigh vents on both the inner and outer thigh sections which is nice for options.

There are waist snaps so you can snap the powder skirt right into the bib itself if you want.

The upper part of the bib sits a little bit lower on my chest than my OR bibs and probably the Foxy ones from what I can tell in the pictures, but I also have a longer torso than legs. There is a kangaroo pocket in the chest. And one small snap pocket that I would probably put my chapstick in, another critique here, they probably should have done a zipper for more security.

The straps have a quick release on the front, when I tried the bathroom moves I just undid my left quick release strap and undid the access zip on the left and moved the pants to the side without any problem. I did this without the jacket (I got the Billie coat to go with it). Haven't tried the maneuver with the coat on, but might take a bit of extra work undressing if you needed to go outdoors, I'll try it later and report back.

Hope that might help some ladies on here out, let me know if you have any questions!

MissySki

Angel Diva
So, just got my Moxie bibs today, I got the Medium and they are a little snug (COVID weight) but I'm going to keep them! I am 5'4", 145lb (about 10-15lb above my normal weight) but I have athletic thighs and butt (from competitive figure skating) with small waist. I like the fit because the back was snug to my waist and flank region, no gaps which is nice, it's pretty flattering. By snug, I mean that I can get a wool baselayer underneath it but was a little tight in the thighs and hips, not enough to restrict any movement, but I typically like a looser cut. If I got the large, I would be swimming in them! I only have one other pair of bibs, Outdoor Research Hemispheres in a medium, the sizing is very similar.

Other nice things about the Moxie, as a shorter lady, the thigh pockets tend to be too low for me to use functionally because anything I put in them tends to hit my knee, the Moxie has them up a little higher which is great.

The access zip is on the left (different from my OR bibs), so I'll have to get used to that for going to the bathroom. The Moxie also has velcro at the top of the access zip which is fine, but my OR bibs have a snap which I think is probably a lot more durable in the long run.

Thigh vents on both the inner and outer thigh sections which is nice for options.

There are waist snaps so you can snap the powder skirt right into the bib itself if you want.

The upper part of the bib sits a little bit lower on my chest than my OR bibs and probably the Foxy ones from what I can tell in the pictures, but I also have a longer torso than legs. There is a kangaroo pocket in the chest. And one small snap pocket that I would probably put my chapstick in, another critique here, they probably should have done a zipper for more security.

The straps have a quick release on the front, when I tried the bathroom moves I just undid my left quick release strap and undid the access zip on the left and moved the pants to the side without any problem. I did this without the jacket (I got the Billie coat to go with it). Haven't tried the maneuver with the coat on, but might take a bit of extra work undressing if you needed to go outdoors, I'll try it later and report back.

Hope that might help some ladies on here out, let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the detailed report! I got the Billie coat and it actually got delivered while I’ve been away so haven’t gotten to try it on yet, but looking forward to it! I’m 5’4” ~125lbs with long legs and a short torso. Thighs and butt are always a problem area for pants fitting on me, so I’m curious how the Moxie would work on me even more after your assessment. I might venture into the ski shop here later on today or tomorrow and see if they have a pair to try on.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bibs are a big yes for me. They are apparently finally making a comeback. I've been looking for the past few years, and definitely more brands are available now. I still haven't found the ideal insulated one for me, but I think my new ones will do just fine since I bought them a bit over sized to fit layers. I already have a shell pair that I wear in the spring that I picked up at a thrift store several years back. I love the fit as a shell for spring, but there isn't room for layers. And they're brown.

My new ones are The North Face Freedom bibs. I got the "blue wing teal." The blue is darker than my computer screen shows, which was a little disappointing, but still better than brown. Unlike many of the other women's bibs, these are not back country oriented with drop seat or other extra features. But I only ski "resort" anyways, and prefer them without extra zippers that might break. And I like that they also come in a shorter length.

They are billed as a shell, but there is a light lining that I think will add a little warmth. It is more than just the shell. They have the standard thigh vents, but that is about all I would say are "features." There's the bib pocket, two zippered front pockets, and velcro cargo pockets on the thighs. No back pockets though. The men's version has velcro tabs at the waist to adjust the fit, but oddly the women's doesn't.

I'm 5'4" and currently around 153. I tried them on in store and found that the large fit just right if I only wanted a spring shell. The fit is similar to the Freedom insulated pant. But no room for layers. I then tried on the XL, and they felt several sizes larger. I debated for a while, but ultimate ordered the XL short. They arrived today, and I think I made the right choice. Yes, they are extra roomy, but I've decided that that also makes them extra comfy. I can move easily, and I can layer like crazy under them. (Perfect to pair with the Acteryx insulated knickers I just picked up at Sierra.) And I can wear a thermoball under the bib too, so fewer layers to deal with for bathroom breaks. I haven't tried them on with boots yet, but I think the length will be just right and for once I won't have to roll them up to walk without ski boots. And because they are so roomy I don't even have to bother with the side zip to put them on. The straps are permanently attached elastic. That's another plus, actually. No way for straps or bib to drop into unwanted puddles or worse.

Now I just need to get out on the hill to try them out.

Ermit

Certified Ski Diva
Yes! I love them. I feel as though they create extra warmth and cover over any 'gap' in my base and/or mid layers for that final insulating effect. Almost all of my ski attire is Burton (I know... the rest is Uniqlo heat tech or Smartwool with a few misc. other pieces) which I always go back to because I know how it fits and I can order online, plus it's a smaller local-ish company which I appreciate. I've adapted to the Avalon layout (love the front pocket in the bib) and want to get a Gore-Tex pair when they are (hopefully) back in stock in my size.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I just got the Flylow Moxie bib in the mail yesterday!

As a recap, I had previously tried on the Flylow Foxy which just did not fit me right. For that model the small was too tight through my thighs and rear even without more than a baselayer, but the medium was really large and baggy on me. For reference I'm 5'4" and ~127lbs currently with long limbs and a short torso for my height. My normal pant size is a 4 and I'm a small in ski pants, in all cases pants either work for me or very much don't based on thigh circumference usually so this was not a surprising issue.

So I got the Moxie size small to try since it's supposed to be a more relaxed and "athletic" fit in my "problem" areas. They fit me great, and I really like them! I tried them on with a single baselayer and also then added a thick fleece midlayer which would usually be my max for layering when I wear a shell. They still fit great and were not tight at all, I could sit and crouch etc. without feeling like I was going to split a seam like in the Foxy. However, I really don't find it a "relaxed or athletic" fit. It's close fitting all around and not baggy in the least. It feels like what it just "should be" for my size haha. So take that as you will. I tend towards more streamlined fits in skiwear (except in my most heavily insulated jackets) so this fits my preference well. If you are similar in build to me and want a true relaxed or more baggy fit you'd probably still want to size up though I'd use caution due to my experience with the Foxy that their sizing seems to make a very large jump between the two.

The bib feels very comfy overall and has a ton of pockets, including a kangaroo pouch type through the front which I assume would be a great spot to stick skins for warmth on the ski down when hiking etc., and the bib also unzips down the side to allow for using the restroom without removing anything on top which is a must to me for bibs. Lastly, it pairs really well with my new Flylow Billie Coat shell including integration with the snow skirt. I got the Beet colored coat and the Night colored bib.

Can't wait to try them out on the slopes!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'll report after xmas when I receive my FlyLow Foxy bibs in an extra small. I have long torso and shorter legs and now have my doubts that they may be too small. 5'1 105 ish.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think that sounds very much like an XS! :smile: Hope they fit great!
Are they long in the torso area? My weight hasn't changed much in decades but is distributed differently as I (ahem) age. Guess I'll find out how they fit soon enough ! BF is good about shopping when I send links for gift ideas.... Too bad I didn't suggest he get two sizes.... I got for him (surprise !) Trew Gear bibs in a medium and I saw reviews they run huge........ Oh, btw, I said I wanted the "lupine" color which is purple-ish blue.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Are they long in the torso area? My weight hasn't changed much in decades but is distributed differently as I (ahem) age. Guess I'll find out how they fit soon enough ! BF is good about shopping when I send links for gift ideas.... Too bad I didn't suggest he get two sizes.... I got for him (surprise !) Trew Gear bibs in a medium and I saw reviews they run huge........ Oh, btw, I said I wanted the "lupine" color which is purple-ish blue.

I didn’t really feel like the torso would be much of an issue either way since the straps are so adjustable and can therefore probably accommodate quite a range in that area.

I like the lupine color! My “Night” color is a little darker than I’d expected from online, but I like it. Almost went with black to be most versatile.

COcanuck

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I just got the Flylow Moxie bib in the mail yesterday!

As a recap, I had previously tried on the Flylow Foxy which just did not fit me right. For that model the small was too tight through my thighs and rear even without more than a baselayer, but the medium was really large and baggy on me. For reference I'm 5'4" and ~127lbs currently with long limbs and a short torso for my height. My normal pant size is a 4 and I'm a small in ski pants, in all cases pants either work for me or very much don't based on thigh circumference usually so this was not a surprising issue.

So I got the Moxie size small to try since it's supposed to be a more relaxed and "athletic" fit in my "problem" areas. They fit me great, and I really like them! I tried them on with a single baselayer and also then added a thick fleece midlayer which would usually be my max for layering when I wear a shell. They still fit great and were not tight at all, I could sit and crouch etc. without feeling like I was going to split a seam like in the Foxy. However, I really don't find it a "relaxed or athletic" fit. It's close fitting all around and not baggy in the least. It feels like what it just "should be" for my size haha. So take that as you will. I tend towards more streamlined fits in skiwear (except in my most heavily insulated jackets) so this fits my preference well. If you are similar in build to me and want a true relaxed or more baggy fit you'd probably still want to size up though I'd use caution due to my experience with the Foxy that their sizing seems to make a very large jump between the two.

The bib feels very comfy overall and has a ton of pockets, including a kangaroo pouch type through the front which I assume would be a great spot to stick skins for warmth on the ski down when hiking etc., and the bib also unzips down the side to allow for using the restroom without removing anything on top which is a must to me for bibs. Lastly, it pairs really well with my new Flylow Billie Coat shell including integration with the snow skirt. I got the Beet colored coat and the Night colored bib.

Can't wait to try them out on the slopes!

lol, we got the same color combo!! Glad you liked them :o)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly