• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Bibs: Yay or nay?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
My daughter did have a nice (and large) one at her wedding, and not the fanciest one on the market, either. Much harder with ski equipment, I'm sure, but not much harder than the bathrooms at Berkshire East, many of which had those little short toilets appropriate for 4th graders. And the floors were of course always wet. (Snow, but yuck.)
And this is the main reason I decided to NEVER wear bib ski pants :frown:

Jilly

Staff member
North Face used to have a pant that had full zips. The zipper went up the leg and then over the butt...I'll have to see if I can find a pic on the net.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Some bibs definitely do have this feature. I know @elemmac 's does and I'm always jealous at how quickly she can use the restroom while I struggle with all of the layers my pants with suspenders are under on top to be able to pull them down! :rotf:

Some do have a drop feature, mine don't...They just have a zip down the side that goes from the top of the side (by the armpit) down to your knee. They zip both ways, so also used to ventilation.

I wear my bibs over all of my layers other than my shell, so easy access to the zipper up top...just reach under the shell, unzip to the knee, pull down your baselayer bottom and slide out the side. After some practice I now find it easier and quicker than normal pants.

And yes...I have used the same method when in the backcountry. Just keep your skis on to keep yourself on the top of the snow, and don't squat too low....brrr.... :brr:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Some do have a drop feature, mine don't...They just have a zip down the side that goes from the top of the side (by the armpit) down to your knee. They zip both ways, so also used to ventilation.

I wear my bibs over all of my layers other than my shell, so easy access to the zipper up top...just reach under the shell, unzip to the knee, pull down your baselayer bottom and slide out the side. After some practice I now find it easier and quicker than normal pants.

And yes...I have used the same method when in the backcountry. Just keep your skis on to keep yourself on the top of the snow, and don't squat too low....brrr.... :brr:

Well, I knew you had something helpful on your bibs.. :smile:

For some reason the thought of my trying to go to the bathroom ON skis is equally hilarious and scary, though it absolutely makes sense to not get off of them. I 100% feel like I'd either fall over or pee all over my skis, hopefully not both :rotf:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I think the more technical of women’s bibs tend to have the drop seat feature. Didn’t @ski diva once do a review of a base layer that would work in such a situation?

I did, and thanks for remembering. I think the company went out of business, though.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

My bibs are the same (i have the flylow foxy). I actually find them easier than dealing with normal ski pants as well :smile: Easy bathroom access was a really important feature for me when looking at bibs, as I saw it as the main downside for bibs in general!

alison wong

Angel Diva
I got a bib in black color on sale from Strafe very recently. Now reading this thread about it, should I return it?

Reason I decided to get a bib: I've been gaining weight, my waist line and hip are "growing". I figured bib can be more comfortable since it is "looser" fit in those areas.

Reviews are generally good for this one. I was going to get one in regular price coming season. Then I got lucky, just happened to see the color and size I wanted was on sale one day, so I snatched it.

Strafe Bib Pants
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 6.40.29 PM.png

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Well, my complaint about bibs (that don't have a drop-bottom or zip-around, as mentioned above) is that when going to the restroom you have to 1) take off your jacket, 2) take off any fleece layer that's over the bib, and 3) take down the top of the bib, which you then have to somehow keep from dragging onto the (inevitably) wet floor -- I was not very successful at that, and having straps that are wet from who-knows-what on the stall floor was more than I could tolerate. :frusty:
But it's up to you, lol.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I got a bib in black color on sale from Strafe very recently. Now reading this thread about it, should I return it?

Reason I decided to get a bib: I've been gaining weight, my waist line and hip are "growing". I figured bib can be more comfortable since it is "looser" fit in those areas.

Reviews are generally good for this one. I was going to get one in regular price coming season. Then I got lucky, just happened to see the color and size I wanted was on sale one day, so I snatched it.

Strafe Bib Pants
View attachment 13956
I like those.

alison wong

Angel Diva
1) take off your jacket, 2) take off any fleece layer that's over the bib, and 3) take down the top of the bib,

Those are good points. I have yet to think about that. The one I got is "halter" top (?), I might be able to pull the strap over my head w/o taking off my jacket. I need to try to see if I can do so....

I like those.
Me too, I have been looking at them since summer.

Maybe I shall keep it and wear it for a season to see if I prefer it over regular pants or not...

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those are good points. I have yet to think about that. The one I got is "halter" top (?), I might be able to pull the strap over my head w/o taking off my jacket. I need to try to see if I can do so....

Maybe I shall keep it and wear it for a season to see if I prefer it over regular pants or not...

Halter top seems like good sense! Never saw that before.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva

Just try it on at home with all your gear on and see if it works for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly