• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Bibs: Yay or nay?

KWlovessnow

Angel Diva
Mary…have you ever seen outdoor research ski jackets? I’m wondering what they are like. Great sales…
I have the Outdoor research Carbide shell and I love it! Fantastic quality, great fit for me, great attention to detail and plenty of pockets. It goes over my bottom and fits over my hips (which are curvy) very well without being huge in the chest/arms. The one thing that I have read in reviews and agree with it that the zipper can sometimes be a bit hard to start. To me, it's not a big problem and the benefits of the jacket definitely outweigh this one minor flaw.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been very anti-bib up until this year when after falling several times in powder and getting snow up and down everywhere that I decided it's time to suck it up and get a pair. Purchased the Flylow Foxy bibs and have been very satisfied with them. Going to the bathroom at first was a little awkward and more time consuming but after wearing them a few days I've gotten the hang of it. I honestly still prefer pants and think they're more convenient when it comes to going to the restroom and find mine to be more flattering on my figure but glad that I finally invested in a pair of bibs.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Flylow's have several colors if you like those, plus the Foxy's, the Sphinx, the Moxie...... I already have two pairs and thinking about a third.
Can you fit a thick, or two layers under the moxie? I want to wait for next years OR Skytour new colors but the flylow sales are killer. I don’t think the Sphinx would fit me with an added layer. Hmmmm

MissySki

Angel Diva
I can fit my cw-x tights and an added thick Hot Chillys fleece layer under my Moxie bibs on very cold days.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Can you fit a thick, or two layers under the moxie? I want to wait for next years OR Skytour new colors but the flylow sales are killer. I don’t think the Sphinx would fit me with an added layer. Hmmmm
I have both the Foxy and the Sphinx. They both run small but I can easily wear a base layer and wool zip top under both. I understand the Moxie is not as fitted.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And now they’re an additional 20% off the sale price!

elemmac

Angel Diva
I can fit thick fleece layers under my Foxy bibs...the Moxie would be similar with slightly more room. But, I sized up from my "normal" size. I'm normally a medium bottom, and I couldn't get the medium Foxy over my hips (they're built really slim). I could get the Moxie on in a medium, but didn't have much extra room (just enough for a thin layer). I ended up getting a large with a short length in the Foxy...they're amazing. So, if you're in between sizing, or want extra space for layers, I would consider going up a size and down to a "short" length (unless you're tall and need the extra length anyways).

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never thought I'd want a bib, but this thread inspired me to try several. Unfortunately, I'm between small and medium for most brands, and they're either a little snug in the thighs (and/or hips) in a small or huge in the waist in medium.

I got a good deal on a Burton Reserve bib from Evo. It's the best-fitting bib I've tried, thanks to a little stretch in the material (Burton Avalon also fits pretty well but I don't like that the front pockets lack zippers). I'm just not sure I love the color--a dark, slightly muted purple. I would like it way better if it were a brighter/saturated color.

I'm debating whether to keep it and try it out anyway to see if I even like a bib, as I haven't worn one since the early '90s.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOVE LOVE LOVE my bibs. I buy the backcountry variety w/the drop seat. Bio breaks are a non issue and are actually faster than with my ski pants.

I have Arcteryx, Helly Hansen, and Stio. I prefer the Arcteryx for ease of access.

My issue with bibs has always been the fit around the rib cage. I have a large rib cage and unless the bibs have stretchy fabric in that area, they won't work for me. I had to buy my Arcteryx in an XL to accommodate the ribs and that makes them REALLY baggy in the butt and legs, but I'm ok with that (for the same reason I'd never wear makeup when skiing. Really??). Lately, I've been gravitating toward pants with integrated suspenders and a high waist. North Face makes a pant that is super. I found it through my PSIA membership and I'm not sure if it is widely available.

Last edited:

elemmac

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, I'm between small and medium for most brands, and they're either a little snug in the thighs (and/or hips) in a small or huge in the waist in medium.
This is one of the reasons I love bibs, you can wear them big in the waist and it doesn’t matter…I find it more comfortable to have a loose fitting waist rather than a pant that needs to stay up and can’t be loose. I feel a lot more comfortable skiing without needing to keep layers tucked in, or feeling any restrictions on the waistline. I’m often between sizes and will choose the loose waist over tight thighs/butt anytime.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ended up getting a Rab Khroma Kinetic bib instead. I wanted a bib for extra coverage and pockets on warm days so I can ditch my jacket. While Burton Reserve was nice, the fabric was pretty thick.

The Rab bib is thin and stretchy and fits well with nice big pockets. The fabric is a bit coarse compared to Flylow’s, so it’s better with smooth leggings. I don’t love the color (muted burgundy…why is everything muted?!) but it’s so light and comfy. Heads up that they run large. Maybe they expect people to wear more layers than I do.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@santacruz skier and @MissySki I really want to get a bib after reading this thread. I am thinking about either Flylow Foxy or Moxy, as you know I am tall at 6'1'' and have small waist big hips. Do you think I have to go for Moxy to accommodate the hips? Or can I get away with Foxy. According to flylow size chart it looks XL should more then accomodate my hips, and I like the more fitted cut of Foxy bib and the color available in XL, just worry about room for layering since it's a shell bib.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier and @MissySki I really want to get a bib after reading this thread. I am thinking about either Flylow Foxy or Moxy, as you know I am tall at 6'1'' and have small waist big hips. Do you think I have to go for Moxy to accommodate the hips? Or can I get away with Foxy. According to flylow size chart it looks XL should more then accomodate my hips, and I like the more fitted cut of Foxy bib and the color available in XL, just worry about room for layering since it's a shell bib.
I'm at the other end of the spectrum so hard to say.. My Foxy's fit great but think the snuggest point is in the waist. I also have the Sphinx as wanted a little insulation. Those seem snugger than the Foxy's. My understanding is the Moxy's are a fuller cut. Think @lisamamot has the Foxy's and she is tall.
Think they are on sale now.... get them!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@Olesya Chornoguz are you looking here? Lots of colors/choices... Also I think they come in Tall sizes too. Wonder about the inseam of 33 inches for you?

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Alice’s black bibs are Flylow Foxy and she is curvy and I think a little taller than I…maybe you should check in with her on sizing. She loves hers from what Margaret/Mom says.
My impression is that they run long. I’m 5’5” and the S is almost too long for me even with straps shortened to the max. There are my first shell outerwear (no insulation) of any sort and I have been totally impressed by the warmth even here in the East, despite initial concern. I wear a second base layer bottoms when midday temp forecast in teens. Otherwise plenty warm with one base layer. The midbody coverage is very good for warmth, esp riding the lift, and avoids snow/air intrusion if you fall.
Mine are strangely snug over ribs and chest regardless of how straps are adjusted, which is odd because I’m not busty. I am broad across back and shoulders, so maybe that's the problem. If I got size Med they'd be too long and too roomy in the hip and thighs.
See photo: wearing shelf bra camisole, close fitting T neck and tight weave wool sweater under the bibs. I can barely stow a Chapstick in the chest pockets . . . maybe a mask for covid.
Bibs still fit after eating that waffle! Yes I ate the whole thing. Bonus points to anyone who can name the resort and the lodge, famous for their waffles.

IMG_1858b.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly