• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Bibs: Yay or nay?

finsterlee

Certified Ski Diva
This season I ordered a pair of Helly Hansen Odin bibs and I am. Never. Wearing. Pants. Again.
Right??!! So true! With pants, five pounds either way can be so bad! My way happens to usually be going up, so I am thrilled to not have my pant fastener digging in to me when I bend over to put boots on and off, or pick up a dropped pole. I also have received compliments on my Strafes, and no one could believe they were actually bibs. They have come a long way!

RJ*

Angel Diva
What you said and:
1) it took me one day to figure out the side zippers to go to the bathroom. Easier than pants.
2) lower back no longer cold
3) when it’s really warm those side zippers come in handy for ventilation
4) they look better than pants

Ordered a Mountain Hardwear pair to try them out next.

paige.

Certified Ski Diva
I also have the Trew Chariot bibs. I like them a lot, but I will say that you have to wash them after pretty much every use. Otherwise, the waterproofing kind of stops working. It comes back after a wash, but it's kind of annoying. Earlier this year I got totally soaked through on a particularly rainy day. I reached out to customer service, and they asked how often I was washing them. At the time, I was only washing them every few uses, and they told me that any kind of dust/dirt/debris will cause the waterproofing to fail. This is fine for my day trips to the mountain, but I wonder if this could become problematic if I was on a ski vacation and didn't have easy access to a laundromat. Also that would be a pain. Have you (or anyone else who has them) also experienced this?

I haven't had issues with the waterproofing on the Chariot bibs, however I haven't had them out in pure rain yet. I also use them primarily for touring, so prioritize some breathability over waterproofness as I'm more concerned about sweat.

Washing every time certainly sounds excessive - you're skiing, not rolling in mud puddles. Have you retreated the pants or do you just keep trying to refresh the original treatment? DWR is a coating on the fabric, and no brand has managed to create a permanent version yet (and as brands have shifted to more environmentally-friendly versions they've apparently gotten worse). Washing and then heating the fabric reactivates the existing DWR, but eventually the DWR wears off and needs to be reapplied. If you haven't retreated the bibs yet I would try that first. If you have retreated them, I would probably try a different brand or formulation (like Grangers vs Nikwax, and wash-in vs spray-on) and see if that helps. At $15/bottle it's risk-free and you can redo all your raingear as well.

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced the DWR is your issue. DWR affects the water repellency of the material - that is whether water beads up or soaks into the outer layer of fabric. When it's gone the outer layer of fabric will wet out and the breathability will be shot (because the pores are blocked with water), but the waterproofing should be unaffected. You feel damp and clammy because your sweat can no longer escape, but outside water shouldn't be getting in. If you're leaking rather than sweating that'll be harder to address. If the seams are the issue you can use aquaseal or similar to reseal them. If any areas are heavily worn you can cover them with tenacious tape. But if it's the entire fabric that's the issue I'm not aware of any way to save it.

As far as the bibs go...
What I love:
The drop seat - bathroom breaks are so easy, easier even than with ski pants. Minimal skin is exposed and as long as I'm facing the group they can't see anything. And I can pee in my harness when we're on glaciers!
Chest beacon pocket - No need to worry about the beacon harness being outside my clothes. No more discomfort from the beacon harness sitting under backpack staps. I can keep my phone in a leg pocket and they're a safe distance apart.
Leg vents inside the leg - maybe I'm an idiot, but when the zips are on the outside of my leg I'm forever accidentally getting snow in them (good for cooling, not so good for staying dry).
The straps - they stay perfectly in place and the rubbery adjustment piece doesn't cause problems under my pack straps.

What I don't love:
Contrary to the poster above, I find the bibs oversized. Based on my chest and the sizing chart I should be in a large. I decided that was ridiculous and got a medium, and if I ordered them again I would strongly consider a small. The cross straps make the bibs look trim from the front, but that's because they pull together into a Y at the back and cause all the extra fabric to bunch up there and balloon out like clown pants. If you have minimal boobs and a broad frame consider ordering based on the chest measurement, otherwise I recommend ignoring it and ordering based exclusively on hip and waist measurement.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wanted to try the TREW Chariot bibs but in the end I went for the Flylow Moxie bibs. Mostly because I already had a pair of Flylow bibs for touring so I had a better idea of sizing to order. Rough reviews of each pair I have, my size for reference is 5'3", 135 lb 'athletic' thighs and butt, slimmer upper body:

Flylow Siren (size M): love the fit of these, love the 'under the tit' rise because i hate having fabric over my chest and dislike when i have too many layers up there. They are just baggy enough through hips and thighs but not super baggy down the legs. The material is thin and a little stretchy and super comfortable, I haven't toured in them but I think they will be great for that. Definitely aren't as waterproof or durable feeling as the Moxie's (which is why i got a different pair for downhill skiing). Have snaps on the drop waist side zip, which sometimes I forget to snap and then I realize my pants are unzipped.

Flylow Moxie (size M): the fit is not quite as nice as the Sirens for me, baggier through the leg and just a smidge tighter in the waist/hip area. Close enough though that they still work. I don't really like having the kangaroo pouch over my chest and not really sure what I will put in that pocket since its pretty small, maybe chapstick lol. They also feel kinda long in the torso, I had to cinch up the shoulder straps so I didn't feel like I had a pair of harem pants on. Material is much more durable and waterproof, kept me warm and dry all day on a powder day. Since the pants are slightly slimmer in the thighs on me than the Sirens, fitting a phone in my thigh pocket (which is where I prefer to keep them) is a little tighter but still works. Have strong velcro on the drop waist side zip which is much easier to redo with all the ski layers on than the Siren buttons I find.

Both pairs have the same side zip/drop seat feature on them and its pretty easy to go to the bathroom just difference in the closure details as I mentioned.

Overall my main gripe with womens bibs is the variability in fit. I wish the fit would be more consistent across a company so at least I knew what i was in for. I get that they are trying to accomodate different body shapes but I feel like its a kind of like throwing a dart in the dark to get a pair that fits right, even if you have experience with the brand. Also since women have a variety of breast sizes I just don't understand why more brands don't offer under the boob rise on their bibs. It just makes sense to cut that part out of the equation and having bib fabric over your chest doesn't seem like it makes much of a difference to me in terms of staying dry.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wanted to try the TREW Chariot bibs but in the end I went for the Flylow Moxie bibs. Mostly because I already had a pair of Flylow bibs for touring so I had a better idea of sizing to order. Rough reviews of each pair I have, my size for reference is 5'3", 135 lb 'athletic' thighs and butt, slimmer upper body:

Flylow Siren (size M): love the fit of these, love the 'under the tit' rise because i hate having fabric over my chest and dislike when i have too many layers up there. They are just baggy enough through hips and thighs but not super baggy down the legs. The material is thin and a little stretchy and super comfortable, I haven't toured in them but I think they will be great for that. Definitely aren't as waterproof or durable feeling as the Moxie's (which is why i got a different pair for downhill skiing). Have snaps on the drop waist side zip, which sometimes I forget to snap and then I realize my pants are unzipped.

Flylow Moxie (size M): the fit is not quite as nice as the Sirens for me, baggier through the leg and just a smidge tighter in the waist/hip area. Close enough though that they still work. I don't really like having the kangaroo pouch over my chest and not really sure what I will put in that pocket since its pretty small, maybe chapstick lol. They also feel kinda long in the torso, I had to cinch up the shoulder straps so I didn't feel like I had a pair of harem pants on. Material is much more durable and waterproof, kept me warm and dry all day on a powder day. Since the pants are slightly slimmer in the thighs on me than the Sirens, fitting a phone in my thigh pocket (which is where I prefer to keep them) is a little tighter but still works. Have strong velcro on the drop waist side zip which is much easier to redo with all the ski layers on than the Siren buttons I find.

Both pairs have the same side zip/drop seat feature on them and its pretty easy to go to the bathroom just difference in the closure details as I mentioned.

Overall my main gripe with womens bibs is the variability in fit. I wish the fit would be more consistent across a company so at least I knew what i was in for. I get that they are trying to accomodate different body shapes but I feel like its a kind of like throwing a dart in the dark to get a pair that fits right, even if you have experience with the brand. Also since women have a variety of breast sizes I just don't understand why more brands don't offer under the boob rise on their bibs. It just makes sense to cut that part out of the equation and having bib fabric over your chest doesn't seem like it makes much of a difference to me in terms of staying dry.
My trewgear bibs have developed a hole in the crotch after just one year of use. Maybe they aren't meant for a skier who gets 30-60 days a season? Pretty disappointing. I'm going to reach out to their customer support and see if they can do anything for me. I may consider the flylow bibs instead. Having a drop seat is the best!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My trewgear bibs have developed a hole in the crotch after just one year of use. Maybe they aren't meant for a skier who gets 30-60 days a season? Pretty disappointing. I'm going to reach out to their customer support and see if they can do anything for me. I may consider the flylow bibs instead. Having a drop seat is the best!
I only have a few days on the Moxies but if they are anything like my jacket that I've had for five years or so, they will hold up pretty well. My jacket looks pretty brand new still and I have a pair of leather mitts from them that have lasted even longer. In general in the past I have been very happy with flylow's price point and durability.

Bummer about the hole in the crotch on your bibs! Can you contact customer service and see about repair or replacement? I had a friend who skied in Trews and did a buttload of skiing bc she worked for a resort, and she seemed to like them. Maybe the quality has gone down since they got a bit more popular.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I only have a few days on the Moxies but if they are anything like my jacket that I've had for five years or so, they will hold up pretty well. My jacket looks pretty brand new still and I have a pair of leather mitts from them that have lasted even longer. In general in the past I have been very happy with flylow's price point and durability.

Bummer about the hole in the crotch on your bibs! Can you contact customer service and see about repair or replacement? I had a friend who skied in Trews and did a buttload of skiing bc she worked for a resort, and she seemed to like them. Maybe the quality has gone down since they got a bit more popular.
They had me fill out their warranty form, sounds like they're going to do something about it. I'm waiting for a follow up response.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: they will do the repair, but it's a 3 week lead time! Not really conducive during ski season. Since it's a small enough hole, I think I'll just deal with it until the end of the season and then get the repair done. No sense in buying a cheap pair as a stop gap.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Update: they will do the repair, but it's a 3 week lead time! Not really conducive during ski season. Since it's a small enough hole, I think I'll just deal with it until the end of the season and then get the repair done. No sense in buying a cheap pair as a stop gap.
Any update? I’m looking at the trew can’t decide between the chariot primo, Astoria or capow and outdoor research skytour accent. I don’t think flylow will fit me from what I have read. I have never owned bibs.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I don't really like having the kangaroo pouch over my chest and not really sure what I will put in that pocket since its pretty small, maybe chapstick lol.
I LOVE my kangaroo pocket in my bibs…I use it for my keys and wallet (small card holder with 1 credit card and license). Since it’s under my shell, it’s a secure pocket that only gets accessed when necessary.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I also have the Flylow Siren bids for touring. I like how they don't go over the boobs too. The chest pocket fits a beacon nicely and the thigh pockets are big and fit many snacks. They breathe really well on a skin track and love how they are not insulated.

Reactions: RJ*

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have the Flylow Siren bids for touring. I like how they don't go over the boobs too. The chest pocket fits a beacon nicely and the thigh pockets are big and fit many snacks. They breathe really well on a skin track and love how they are not insulated.
I wore mine for some resort uphill today for the first time in a while after mostly wearing my Moxie bibs for alpine downhill. Man, the Sirens fit so nicely, I wish they'd do a similar cut/fit with a more hardshell material like the Moxies are made out of.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I wore mine for some resort uphill today for the first time in a while after mostly wearing my Moxie bibs for alpine downhill. Man, the Sirens fit so nicely, I wish they'd do a similar cut/fit with a more hardshell material like the Moxies are made out of.
Can you explain how they fit differently?

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I explained it a bit upthread, but basically I have the same size in both. There is more room through the hip and thigh in the Siren and the crotch doesn't ride so low. Basically, they just fit better around this area for me. Additionally, the under-boob rise on the Siren bibs allows them to feel like a closer fit in the abdomen and less boxy through the middle. The flexibility of the material helps I'm sure. The legs are also a little slimmer than the Moxie while still being relaxed/baggy, but seem to be in a more flattering way. I wear my Moxie bibs every day I ski so I don't have huge issues with the fit, but in general the Siren fits more closely and comfortably while still retaining the relaxed feel or style that I think of when I think of Flylow outerwear.

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just chiming in with my YAY for bibs. I have the Flylow Sphynx pants and love them!!! Bonus that I don’t have to take off my jacket in the washroom with the long side zip.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any update? I’m looking at the trew can’t decide between the chariot primo, Astoria or capow and outdoor research skytour accent. I don’t think flylow will fit me from what I have read. I have never owned bibs.
I have the Outdoor Research Skytour bibs and they're excellent! The fit works well for me and they're very comfortable.

sashak

Certified Ski Diva
So. I love bibs. I don't mind gathering them up and holding them away from the toilet, I got used to it for the comfort of no waist! My tighter ski pants are... Sexier? But my bibs are most comfortable to ski in.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna