• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Bibs: Yay or nay?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am really enjoying the reviews of the Flylow Moxie!! I have the Flylow Foxy bib, in a size Small (5'3, 115lb). They are a loose fit on me (but i dont mind it - I was worried about the XS being too tight around the hips/thighs, from the reviews), and rather long in the leg. The thigh pockets end around my knee though its actually fine for using while skiing. I quite often put my phone in the thigh pocket and don't notice it in there at all. Unfortunately the thigh pockets could really stand to be a little deeper, as the pressure of the corner of my phone against the closed pocket zipper for an entire season has caused damage to some of the zipper teeth, and I will now have to either replace the zip or superglue the damaged part closed. My phone isn't huge either, Samsung s10e with a rubber case. (To their credit, when I emailed Flylow about it, they said that if I was in the USA i was welcome to send the bibs in to them and they would fix the zip for me, but sadly im not so shipping would be prohibitively expensive! Good customer service though for USA folk!) Aside from those issues, I really do love the bibs. They are comfy and really cute, have tons of pockets <3, plus they are easy to go to the bathroom in.

@santacruz skier I am confident those XS bibs won't be too small for you, based on the sz S being a very relaxed fit on me, and you being both shorter and lighter than me :smile: i hope they do fit you great!!

The Moxie looks really ideal - higher thigh pockets (hopefully larger pockets too!) and a better fit for athletic women :smile:

FYI here is the foxy on me you can see the torso is fairly long (and i have the criss cross back straps quite tight) :smile:1607052901340.png

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am really enjoying the reviews of the Flylow Moxie!! I have the Flylow Foxy bib, in a size Small (5'3, 115lb). They are a loose fit on me (but i dont mind it - I was worried about the XS being too tight around the hips/thighs, from the reviews), and rather long in the leg. The thigh pockets end around my knee though its actually fine for using while skiing. I quite often put my phone in the thigh pocket and don't notice it in there at all. Unfortunately the thigh pockets could really stand to be a little deeper, as the pressure of the corner of my phone against the closed pocket zipper for an entire season has caused damage to some of the zipper teeth, and I will now have to either replace the zip or superglue the damaged part closed. My phone isn't huge either, Samsung s10e with a rubber case. (To their credit, when I emailed Flylow about it, they said that if I was in the USA i was welcome to send the bibs in to them and they would fix the zip for me, but sadly im not so shipping would be prohibitively expensive! Good customer service though for USA folk!) Aside from those issues, I really do love the bibs. They are comfy and really cute, have tons of pockets <3, plus they are easy to go to the bathroom in.

@santacruz skier I am confident those XS bibs won't be too small for you, based on the sz S being a very relaxed fit on me, and you being both shorter and lighter than me :smile: i hope they do fit you great!!

The Moxie looks really ideal - higher thigh pockets (hopefully larger pockets too!) and a better fit for athletic women :smile:

FYI here is the foxy on me you can see the torso is fairly long (and i have the criss cross back straps quite tight) :smile:View attachment 14254
How cute! Love the color

MissySki

Angel Diva

FYI here is the foxy on me you can see the torso is fairly long (and i have the criss cross back straps quite tight) :smile:View attachment 14254

I’m amazed that we can be so close in stats yet have such a different fit experience with the Foxy. Too funny. They look great on you, I love the color!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m amazed that we can be so close in stats yet have such a different fit experience with the Foxy. Too funny. They look great on you, I love the color!
Right? My mom is the same height as me and a very similar weight but we fit different clothes as well, funny how people are built differently :P Thanks! I also love this colour, it was a big reason why I bought them in the first place.... :D

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Right? My mom is the same height as me and a very similar weight but we fit different clothes as well, funny how people are built differently :P Thanks! I also love this colour, it was a big reason why I bought them in the first place.... :D
The extra smalls are not boding well for me b/c I'm probably your mom's age and our weight distributes "differently" as we get older.....

finsterlee

Certified Ski Diva
I got a bib in black color on sale from Strafe very recently. Now reading this thread about it, should I return it?

Reason I decided to get a bib: I've been gaining weight, my waist line and hip are "growing". I figured bib can be more comfortable since it is "looser" fit in those areas.

Reviews are generally good for this one. I was going to get one in regular price coming season. Then I got lucky, just happened to see the color and size I wanted was on sale one day, so I snatched it.

Strafe Bib Pants
View attachment 13956
I was going to mention the Strafe bibs if no one else did. I have a pair, and they are so awesome. They do have a side zip to allow you to drop the seat easily- it tucks behind your legs. I almost feel as if more of it stays off the bathroom floor compared to pants that get pushed all the way down since the bib strap is holding some of it up at the same time. I'll have to pay more attention next time! They are also ultra flattering...I have no idea HOW, since bibs are basically overalls, but these pull it off. They are cut straight, and give a nice, long, same color visual, as opposed to having pants one color, and then a different color up top that chops you in half. A lot probably depends on the fabric also...these are a silky kind of shell fabric that flexes and drapes well. Hope everyone has a great season!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Good news! The flylow foxy bibs fit fine in an XS.... they probably could be looser BUT the next size up would probably be too big and I'd look like I'm in fishing waders....
They are super cute! I tried on over sweats and sweatshirt (obviously would never wear skiing) and they fit fine, not loose by any means but should be fine with my merino wool layers.
Also, BF liked his Trewgear bibs ! Win win.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally found a pair of bibs for a decent-ish price so I ordered them. Hoping they fit. They are cut lower in the chest, which I like, because even though I love the look of a full panel bib front I don't like the extra fabric there. I ordered them from a local mountaineering shop, they are the Flylow Siren in a bright pink. Not really my color but for $275 I figured I'd go for it and they won't look terrible with the jacket I have currently. Crossing my fingers they fit, its usually a coin toss as to whether I am a medium or small and they only had the medium so we'll see. I did find them for an even better price elsewhere online in a small, so if these dont work out I might still be able to snag them in a different size though I'm hoping the medium will do the trick.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want to be Team Bibs all day...but alas, three children in....my lead time for the restroom leaves a lot to be desired.

I've had several as well. Full side zip bibs are the best! I used to have a pair I wore during my second pregnancy, and I've wanted another pair ever since.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got the Flylow Sirens and they are pretty great. Super supple material, will be great for touring. I am 5'3" and ~135 lbs with more weight in my thighs and butt and they fit well, a bit on the long side but not too tight in the thighs thanks to the stretchy material. They are a little more 'bell-bottomy' than I expected as most of their stuff is more straight legged but they have a relaxed enough fit that with ski boots it won't be an issue. I was a bit confused about the drop seat bc I thought there were two full side zips, but there is only one. The material is super stretchy though and its quite easy to just unsnap the one side and pull the seat fabric to the side for a squat. I will have to take them out for a test run some day soon. I'm not planning on doing much if any resort skiing this year and probably not a ton of touring, so not sure when I'll get to take them out, maybe I can go for a little skin this week once my kids are back in school. Steep and cheap has these in a size small for $200 and Powder7 has them in all sizes for $275 which is what I paid, so if you are looking for affordable shell bibs these might fit the bill.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Wore my new Flylow foxy bibs today! Gnarly Sierra cement raining at bottom, heavy wet snow, winds and zero vis. I’m the only one who stayed dry!! We didn’t stay out long as nowhere to go inside... love the bibs. Snowing hard now at lake level. Tomorrow should be a good day!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wore my new Flylow foxy bibs today! Gnarly Sierra cement raining at bottom, heavy wet snow, winds and zero vis. I’m the only one who stayed dry!! We didn’t stay out long as nowhere to go inside... love the bibs. Snowing hard now at lake level. Tomorrow should be a good day!

Yay, that’s some great feedback on being the only one who stayed dry!

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
Flylow Siren question: I was a "medium and a 1/2" in the Foxy, the med was great except a bit snug at the waist, I'm built like a rectangle. Anyone find the waist in the Siren to be a bit more generous than the Foxy?

Also, I have the Patagonia Snowdrifter bib in Medium and love it! Super light weight, not loud/swishy, big and stretchy kangaroo pocket in case you like that 3rd boob look (and I do,) and awesome zips on both sides for showing a lot of leg if you overheat! And if you want to drop both sides for a bathroom break but it seems much easier to just do one.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunately, I don't have experience with the Foxy to compare its fit to the Siren. Could you contact the company and ask fit advice? That being said, I am pretty boxy in the midsection as well thanks to being almost 40 and having had several kids and there seems to be a fair bit of room in my Siren mid-section, the snuggest part on mine are just at the widest part of my thighs where I just feel a bit of tension when I zip but once its zipped it feels fine and not too tight (over thick baselayers). The kangaroo pouch that comes just under the breasts in the Siren is the same stretchy material as the rest of the bibs, and the back panel is even more stretchy so I think this would give more room for expansion than the full bib panel of the Foxy, but thats just a guess on my part.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
May I mention I love the drop trou function!

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Late to this thread, but I am a big fan of the bibs! I have three pairs (well, two, with one on the way).

Burton Avalon bibs -- they have side zips and the entire bottom part will drop down so you can go pee. They are insulated, but not very waterproof. They were pretty cheap and great as my first pair of bibs! I am 5' and I got these probably when I was around 105-110 lbs, I'm more like 120 lbs now so they're snug. I got XS.

Armada Highline Gore-Tex -- so these a funky...they act as a pair of pants with a stretchy top that zips on. SO...you *can* go pee, but, it's a bit of a struggle. I have these in size S and they fit me currently at 5' 120 lbs give or take. I can fit a decently thick fleece layer underneath with a long sleeve shirt, but it is a bit snug. Only drawbacks...there are like, NO pockets, kinda drives me crazy.

Trew Chariot -- I just ordered last years colorway in a M. It fits well - but, I'm looking for a big loose fit on my new bibs so I can wear a Patagucci underneath them with my shell over. Unfortunately, I have to return the Ms and I'm going to try for a L or XL. I do think that they run pretty small though! But the BEST feature is the zipper above the butt which allows you to pee easily, so I'm looking forward to that. And they have tons of pockets!

Others I've tried on...the Flylow Moxie bib. Unfortunately, the shop only had size L and I was swimming in it. They did have short lengths, which is great for shorties like me, but I end up cuffing my bottoms anyway. I tried on a pair of Holdens and they fit like a giant rectangle. Hard pass. I also tried on a pair of 686s and they were nice, but, I wanted uninsulated gore tex like material. I tried on a pair of Scotts and they were cute, but, my butt didn't fill out the size M so they looked odd on me.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I was going to mention the Strafe bibs if no one else did. I have a pair, and they are so awesome. They do have a side zip to allow you to drop the seat easily- it tucks behind your legs. I almost feel as if more of it stays off the bathroom floor compared to pants that get pushed all the way down since the bib strap is holding some of it up at the same time. I'll have to pay more attention next time! They are also ultra flattering...I have no idea HOW, since bibs are basically overalls, but these pull it off. They are cut straight, and give a nice, long, same color visual, as opposed to having pants one color, and then a different color up top that chops you in half. A lot probably depends on the fabric also...these are a silky kind of shell fabric that flexes and drapes well. Hope everyone has a great season!

Report back on Strafe Scarlett Bib pants:

I love it. The fit is indeed flattering. It is my "go to" ski pants this season. No issues going to bathroom, strap does not touch the floor, no need to remove my helmet to remove the strap, I do have to unzip my jacket, that's all.

There are only 2 Strafe stores in the U.S. One in Snowmass Village, another in Highland mountain. If purchase is made within a year, they offer free repair if there are tears/cuts in fabrics. There is few minor tears/cuts on mine and I happened to be in Highland few weeks ago. I left my pants for them to repair. They will ship for free after repair is done. Good customer service!

Currently Strafe store in Snowmass has 50% off on 2019 merchandise, Highland has 30% off on last year's. Online store is offering 30% off currently. If you want 50% off and don't mind 2019 merchandise, consider giving a call to the store in Snowmass.

I have looked at quite few bib pants last year, I still like my Strafe bib pants the most. Very happy with this purchase.

Cyclone6

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trew Chariot -- I just ordered last years colorway in a M. It fits well - but, I'm looking for a big loose fit on my new bibs so I can wear a Patagucci underneath them with my shell over. Unfortunately, I have to return the Ms and I'm going to try for a L or XL. I do think that they run pretty small though! But the BEST feature is the zipper above the butt which allows you to pee easily, so I'm looking forward to that. And they have tons of pockets!

I also have the Trew Chariot bibs. I like them a lot, but I will say that you have to wash them after pretty much every use. Otherwise, the waterproofing kind of stops working. It comes back after a wash, but it's kind of annoying. Earlier this year I got totally soaked through on a particularly rainy day. I reached out to customer service, and they asked how often I was washing them. At the time, I was only washing them every few uses, and they told me that any kind of dust/dirt/debris will cause the waterproofing to fail. This is fine for my day trips to the mountain, but I wonder if this could become problematic if I was on a ski vacation and didn't have easy access to a laundromat. Also that would be a pain. Have you (or anyone else who has them) also experienced this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly