• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski area count.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Might be fun to do a listing of ski areas skied over a life-time. Sort of where we've left our tracks. Here's my list, as best as I can figure:

Vermont
Okemo, Stratton, Bromley, Killington, Sugarbush, Stowe, Smuggs, Mt Snow, Haystack, Hog Back (no longer there), Burke, Jay

MA
Jiminy Peak

NY
Bellayre, Greek Peak, Song (don't think it exists anymore)

NJ
The old Great Gorge and Vernon Valley ski areas, as well as Snow Bowl (I think the first two are now Mountain Creek, and I don't know if the third exists anymore)

PA
Blue, Elk, Jack Frost, Camelback, Doe (now Bear Creek), Spring Mount (a teeny tiny area down the road from me in PA)

CO
Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper, Vail, Beaver Creek, Aspen, Snowmass, Steamboat

UT
Park City, Deer Valley

And that's it. Of course, I'm more than willing to expand this list anytime.

Where've you been?

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where have I skied? Well, let's see if I can remember everything, OK?

Alaska - Alyeska and Alpenglow

California - Squaw Valley

Canada - Lake Louise, Sunshine, Mount Tremblant

Colorado - Breckinridge, Keystone

Maine - Sunday River

Montana - Big Mountain

Nevada - Heavenly (which is also half in California)

New Jersey - Vernon Valley which is now Mountain Creek?

New York - Hunter, Greek Peak, Windham, White Face, Bellayre

Pennsylvania - Blue, Elk, Bear Creak (the old Doe Mountain), Roundtop, Seven Springs, Big Boulder, Jack Frost, Camelback, Alpine, Shawnee

Utah - Alta, Brighton, Solitude, Snowbird, Deer Valley, Park City

Vermont - Mount Snow, Haystack, Okemo, Smuggler's Notch, Jay Peak, Stowe, Killington, Pico, Bromley, Stratton, Mad River Glen, Sugarbush (north and south)

Now what's that make? I think 45 by my count. :D

Anyway, for those with kids - I used to buy my son a new pin with every area we skied. He just loved it!! It was like collecting baseball cards or something. He always wanted to go some place new so he could get another pin to add to his collection. It certainly motivated him to ski. And now, he is 17 and way better than me!! Whoda thunk?

Lola

snowflake

Certified Ski Diva
South Dakota: Terry Peak Deer Mountain
Montana: Yellowstone Club Big Sky Bridger Bowl Big Mountain
Idaho: Silver Schweitzer
California/Nevada: Heavenly
Canada: Fernnie Sunshine Kimberly Castle Mountain
Germany: Hauseberg Zugspitze
Austria: Ischgel Engleberg Jungfrau region St Anton (lots of smaller ski areas)
Switzerland: Lec Zurz
Itally: Cortina Dolomite Superski area
New Zealand: Mt Ruapehu Teble cone :D

Shewww...those are the ones i can remember off the top of my head...quite a few places looking to ad to the list though...

ps. How could i forget colorado! A Basin Copper Breck Vail Aspen Steamboat

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. A lot of European areas. Sounds interesting.

And the Yellowstone Club! I've heard of that, but never known anyone who's skied it. What was that like?

Marigee

Angel Diva
Colorado - Steamboat, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek, Winter Park/Mary Jane, Copper Mtn.

Utah - Park City, Deer Valley, The Canyons, Snowbird

Canada - Whistler/Blackcomb

Pennsylvania - Whitetail, Seven Springs

West Virginina - Snowshoe, Timberline

Never been to Tahoe - but would like to try it sometime

snowflake

Certified Ski Diva
Ski Diva said:
Wow. A lot of European areas. Sounds interesting.

And the Yellowstone Club! I've heard of that, but never known anyone who's skied it. What was that like?

It's great! Great snow no people steep bits great tree skiing. Too bad I can't afford to be a member.

tugboatjulie

Diva in Training
and what's your favorite area--east or west??

I'll be going to Big Mtn, MT in Jan. Anyone ever been there? This will be my first trip out west. I've only skiied in NC and WV previously (and very little--and not well!).

Newbie,

Julie

tugboatjulie

Diva in Training
WOW...I'm scared to talk to you as you're very proficient apparently! However, would love to hear about Big Mtn. as that's where I'll be in Jan.
Remember, I'm a novice--try to think back. :smile:
Thanks!
Julie

Jilly

Staff member
Wow mine could be long too.
Ontario Canada - Blue Mountain, Calabogie Peaks, Georgian Peaks, Devil's Elbow, Batawa Ski Hill (home), Oshawa Ski Club and a few areas now closed
Quebec - Mt Tremblant, Mt Sutton, Owl's Head, St. Saveur (5 hills total), Mont Blanc, Grey Rocks, Bromont, Mont St Anne.
New York - Snow Ridge, Whiteface, Titus,
Vermont - Jay Peak, Smuggler's.
Colorado - Breckenridge, Vail, Copper, Beaver Creek, Arapahoe Basin
Utah - Snowbird, Alta
Nevada/California - Squaw Valley, Heavenly, Alpine
BC - Whistler/Blackcomb, Panorama, Sun Peaks (when it was Tod Mountain), Silver Star
Montana - Big Mountain
France - Val d'Isere, Trois Vallee

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tugboatjulie said:
WOW...I'm scared to talk to you as you're very proficient apparently! However, would love to hear about Big Mtn. as that's where I'll be in Jan.
Thanks!
Julie
Julie,
Im with you.
I've skied for 22 years and have never skied outside of Michigan. I ski 3-5 times a week, but never outside of Michigan.
A few trips have been planned and cancelled along the way due to crisis', or business,(too many reasons to explain them all) but this year, I pre paid, and planned a trip that WILL happen.
And, BONUS! I'll be meeting some Diva's and Bears!:D

Jilly

Staff member
All I remember about Big Mountain was ice fog. But when the sky was clear it was great skiing. I also remember snow ghosts - trees covered in snow and ice.
There was skiing for all kinds, so don't worry about your ability. Now that was over 10 years ago, so I'm sure that things have changed. We stayed in Whitefish at a hotel across from the golf course.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
SnowHot said:
I've skied for 22 years and have never skied outside of Michigan. I ski 3-5 times a week, but never outside of Michigan.
A few trips have been planned and cancelled along the way due to crisis', or business,(too many reasons to explain them all) but this year, I pre paid, and planned a trip that WILL happen.
And, BONUS! I'll be meeting some Diva's and Bears!:D

Better pack heavy. You may never want to go back. :D

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh SkiDiva, you have no idea how I am looking forward to this trip.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
May it be the first of many!

There's a big world of skiing outside of Michigan. Time to spread those wings and fly!!!!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva said:
There's a big world of skiing outside of Michigan. Time to spread those wings and fly!!!!!
I have always known about the world out there, and as I said have been forced to cancel more than one scheduled trip(being a grown up is a pain)
Now about skiing in Michigan.............I have sooooooooooo much fun with my friends and family on the slopes.

In the words of Cheryl Crow,
Its not having what you want,
It's wanting what you've got!

I just feel sorry for my local friends.
They are gonna hate how I go on and on about my trip when I get back!:D

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
tugboatjulie said:
However, would love to hear about Big Mtn. as that's where I'll be in Jan.

Well, what can I tell you about Big Mountain, MT. Hmmmm...

Well first, if you are arriving by air, you fly into Glacier International Airport in White Fish, MT. It's called international because it flies to Canada, but it is the most rinky dink airport I have ever been to. There are two gates: the arrival gate which is labeled "Arrival" and the departure gate which is labeled "Departure". There are no other gates. The guy who works the ticket counter puts up a sign that reads "Back in half an hour" when the planes arrive because he is the same person who guides the plane to the gate with the hand-held flashlights. And he is the same person who unloads the baggage from the plane. And he's the same person that puts the baggage out for baggage claim. There is no baggage claim carousel. He carries the bags into the airport directly from his baggage cart! And then when he's done, he goes back to the ticket counter. It's the most bizarre thing I have ever seen.

But Big Mountain itself was alot of fun. It gets cold there, so make sure you have lots of layers and warm clothing, including glove liners in your ski gloves. There is a great blue trail called Moementum that is named after the U.S. Olympic skier Tommy Moe. It has a big dip in the middle so you have to keep your Moementum up - but it is loads of fun! I really enjoyed the terrain.

For apres skiing there is the Hell Roarin' Saloon and that loads of fun as well. We also went on a cowboy sleigh ride and got to hear some cowboy poetry. If you have kids, they offer snow cat rides in the evening, which my son and my niece enjoyed very much.

I am sure you will have a great time! Big Mountain is certainly worth the trip. :D

Lola

snowflake

Certified Ski Diva
tugboatjulie said:
Thanks!
Julie

Julie

First off, what time of year are you going. That usually makes a difference in the weather. Either way, Big Mountain is a lot of fun. If you've asked around I'm sure you've heard of the dreaded fog, but not to worry. It is there sometimes, if you happen to be there during thick fog stick to chairs 2&3 they're also the green/blue terrain. Another option would be chair 7 on the back side beautiful, and great open long mellow runs for your first out west experience.

There isn't a lot going on up on the mountain for evening entertainment. You can always stop at the famous Beirstube for a drink. If i remember correctly they give an award for the best goof up of the week (usually to ski patrol/ski school/ lifts etc) the best part is free keg until it's gone! I think that's on either Thurs or Wed about 4pm. Lots of locals there then and good people watching.

Whitefish is a fun town. They have local free transportation via Snowbus that stops all around town and at most of the hotels as well. It's a great way to get to and from the mountain. If you're planning on driving yourself, just be careful the road up to the ski area can be a bit sketchy.

Another option for the mountain would be either an instructor (PM me if you want names, I used to work there) or the Ambassadors give a free tour of the mountain 2 times a day. Like it's name says it really is a Big Mountain, but not hard to get around once you understand. I'm sure you'll have a blast and I sending out vibes so you get at least one sunny day. The views into the Canadian Rockies and glacier are unbelievable!

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CO - Steamboat, Snowmass, Breck, Copper, Keystone, Winter Park
UT - Alta, Snowbird, Deer Valley, Park City, Canyons
WY - Jackson Hole
MI - Powderhorn, Blackjack, Indianhead, Marquette Mtn, Porcupine Mtn
MN - Welch Village, Wild Mtn
WI - Cascade, Tyrol Basin, Devil's Head, Alpine Valley, Sunburst, Granite Peak
PA - Seven Springs
OH - Brandywine
Finland - Porvoo (nordic skiing)
There are two areas in WI at which I have also been on skis - but I'd hardly call it skiing. I coached a high school team for seven years and two of the four hills used for races were local man made hills - one a garbage dump complete with pipes to release methane (Crystal Ridge) and the other created from the leftover dregings and excavation of a golf course & convention center (Olympia).

I also ski-jor with my two Siberians and have entered a race on skis with my two dogs and a borrowed retired (8 yr old) racing sled dog- talk about going "scary fast"!!!:eek:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so sheltered compared to you guys

OK, I have skied outside of Michigan, but barely:

MI - Lower Peninsula
Mt. Holly (an old land fill)
Pine Knob
Lansing Ski Club (now long gone)
Boyne Mountain
Boyne Highlands
Crystal Mountain
Caberfae Peaks
Nub's Nob (still my fave in the lower penninsula)
Sugarloaf (was my fave, but now closed)
Cannonsburg

MI - Upper Peninsula
Marquette Mt.
Blackjack
Indianhead
Big Powderhorn
Porcupine

Wisconsin
Whitecap

Canada
Seachmont

Colorado
Steamboat (my fave out there)
Arapahoe Basin (my second fave)
Keystone
Breckenridge
Copper Mountain
Beaver Creek (raced only, no time to free ski :( )

We have a thing when we take others to a new place. We buy them a pin from the place if they ski a black run there. Our friends just love this tradition.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva... where are you in PA? I live right down the road from Spring Mt. (well, a few miles...) but me and The Boy often joke that some day we're going to ride our bikes to the 'mountain' with our skis/board strapped to our backs. :smile: We live right off the Perkiomen Trail in Collegeville.

I haven't been many places, but most of these were last year so I think I made pretty good progress!

PA: Spring Mt. (I won't ski there again... too small even for me! But a good place to attempt to snowboard!)
Jack Frost/ Big Boulder
Ski Roundtop
Blue Mt.
Elk Mt.
Bear Creek
VT: Okemo
Stratton
Jay
QC: Mont Sutton

That's all so far, but this year I plan on hitting several of the Summit County resorts and I'm thinking of going to Monarch when I'm out there as well, then Winter Park in February if I can round up the money for the Bump Camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly