• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski accident

newboots

Angel Diva
@newboots, I don’t know. I feel like you and I usually agree. I didn’t see an attack. Several people were somewhat equivocal, and then several were very direct.

Going back to the question, sounded like the uphill skier collided with someone in a location that was downhill that she could not see.

there is a LOT of information we don’t know. I wonder how this would sound if the stopped person posted?

BUT, the original question is who is liable and can I get compensation for my broken ski from the OP, right? Which sure seems like in the absence of information we are being asked to draw a pretty big conclusion…no? I suspect that set the stage for what happened after…

FWIW, I read this story neutrally to my 13 yo and asked who was responsible. He said “They’re both responsible, and no one is getting any money for replacing gear”

I know it’s hard when you are young and/or budget constrained… chalk it up to a learning experience, be grateful that neither of you were hurt, and move through it?

I don't object in the least to people pointing out that she is likely liable, or certainly the liable party. I object to the piling on, repetition, and harsh tone. She's a kid.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
She didn't jump.

Read the rest of the thread. She's been told.

The Skier's Responsibility Code was already posted, verbatim.
She didn't jump.

Read the rest of the thread. She's been told.

The Skier's Responsibility Code was already posted, verbatim. Overkill.
As previously stated no one attacked her. I deal with these collisions and often times resulting injuries on a regular basis. I view issues like this from a much different perspective. And I don’t feel that skiers are reminded of the skiers responsibility code nearly enough. Perhaps if you had to deal with the on hill collisions, injuries,and even deaths that I have personally dealt with while patrolling you would see things from a little different perspective as well. Nameste.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Well, I think one thing is for sure.
Now days, none of the young kids passing me so closely in narrow runs call it. It could be bad accidents so easily. It takes nothing to say you are coming from behind. That in itself could void many accidents. I do not know how many times I yelled at them.
They need to be measures. of such basic etiquette/safety measures.
I do not take safety lightly. We all want to go home healthy.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Well, I think one thing is for sure.
Now days, none of the young kids passing me so closely in narrow runs call it. It could be bad accidents so easily. It takes nothing to say you are coming from behind. That in itself could void many accidents. I do not know how many times I yelled at them.
They need to be measures. of such basic etiquette/safety measures.
I do not take safety lightly. We all want to go home healthy.
Meant to say "they need to be taught".

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
She “went over a roller with speed.” I assume not thinking that someone might be on the other side. Clearly not a smart thing to do at any age.. I doubt anyone will pay her compensation.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like our OP has not been back to the site since she posted last in this thread - post #3 - on page one. If that's right, she hasn't read any of the posts after that.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Early in the season Ron LeMasters was killed by a snowboarder at Eldora. Ron was a legend in the ski world and having skied with him, I can personally assure you his skiing was well above that of most ski professionals
Just curious...did any details get released about this accident? All I've seen was the original press releases that he was killed in a collision with a snowboarder.

perma-grin

Just curious...did any details get released about this accident? All I've seen was the original press releases that he was killed in a collision with a snowboarder.
As far as I know just the press statement issued by the area. Accident reports are the property of the area management and for legal reasons are never shared with the general public.

elemmac

Angel Diva
As far as I know just the press statement issued by the area. Accident reports are the property of the area management and for legal reasons are never shared with the general public.
Gotcha, that is my understanding as well. Just was curious since you specified that he was “killed by a snowboarder” so thought they may have released something naming the snowboarder at fault.

perma-grin

I guess that I should have said “killed in a collision with a snowboarder”. As I was pointing out how dangerous collisions on hill can be. The last I knew the name had not been released and investigation was on going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly