• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski ability levels

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've always been somewhat confused about ski ability levels. So in the event that some of you feel the same way, here's an explanation I found at EpicSki (actually, it was posted by our own Snowhot. So thanks, Snowhot!):

*An important point to remember: Men are really 1-2 levels lower than they claim, and women are really 1-2 levels higher than they claim.*

Level One
Never skied before

Level Two
Can stop on green runs using the wedge or "snowplow". May be able to make some direction change but linked turns are yet to come.

Level Three
Can stop and link wedge turns on green runs comfortably.

Level Four
You are relying more on turn shape than wedge size to slow you down. Your wedge is getting smaller and by the end of the turn your skis are running parallel. This level represents a major milestone. Mastery of level four concepts prepare the student for the transition from green runs to blue ones!

Level Five
You are using similar wedge-match turning mechanics to the level four skier. The primary difference is that you are able to use the technique comfortably on blue runs.

Level Six
Your wedge (or stem) is mostly gone and you are making open parallel turns on blue runs.

Level Seven
You are able to change turn radius and duration comfortably on blue runs. Pole plants are being used to time turns. Blue-black and black diamond runs are starting to look skiable.

Level Eight
You are comfortable on blue-black terrain. You can ski in the fall line on easier moguls.

Level Nine
You can ski black diamond bumps, steeps and varied snow conditions comfortably.

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I dunno. Something is missing. There's beauty in good skiing, at any level.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Okay -- how's this:

Level 1: Trying sking for the first time and having a blast.

Level 2: Skiing is fun; I think I'm in love.

Level 3: Full fledged ski addict. Think about skiing all the time, checking skiing message boards (even in the summer), doing everything I can to ski all the time.

I think I'm a 3.

Jilly

Staff member
Well SkiDiva - that list looks just like our STEPS program here in Canada. Ski schools that use this program give out pins at the end of the classes that correspond to levels of skiing. It gives the kids a reward for work hard done and shows the parents where their kids are. Also if the student shows up at another school, the instructors have an idea of where they should place the student if they use the program. We didn't use it last year at the local hill here, and its coming back this year.

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm. Ski schools in Europe all use their own individual scales and rarely with as many as 8 or 9 levels - usually 7 max is they start at 1 - they often use a level 0 for never skied before. WHen in Courchevel we always use these guys:

www.supremeski.com

whose levels are:

https://www.supremeski.com/adultlevels.htm

We're fairly firmly in a 5 now but obviously it's a very broad band. It's also a bit like driving - you don't learn to drive properly until after you've passed your driving test. IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna