• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skateboards?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone here ride a skateboard? I think want to get one to practice stance and balance for surfing but I know nothing about skateboards. I googled something like "how to buy a skateboard" but the options are mind boggling . . . .different shaped decks, wheel placement etc; I have no idea what I should be looking for.
I have no desire to go downhill on the thing, basically just riding on flat pavement so I'm guessing I don't want a longboard?
Any suggestions on what a beginner skateboarder should be looking for? Length or any other parameters?
Thanks.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally, no, but my BF recently quit his job and is working on setting up a longboard deck manufacturing factory in our town. I'll ask him. Stay tuned.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@NewEnglandSkier do you longboard or short board when you surf?

Long board skateboards are easy to ride and you can get more of a carve feeling- shorter skateboards allow you to "tick/tack" - more like a short board feeling

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good question,

There is no direct substitute for surfing; however, there are boards that get close. Many will claim to be the best snowboard or surf cross trainer but that is marketing BS! It all comes down to preference. I would suggest a longboard, with standard longboard trucks. (52 degree 180mm or similar) and any deck of your choice, it really is a preference thing if you are not into doing 113km/hr, and even then beyond the science, there is personal choice and riding style. For a newbie, it really doesn't matter. As for wheels, get longboard wheels not street skate wheels, they ride much smoother and are much grippier. (70 to 80mm would be my suggestion, nothing smaller! 78a or 80a durometer.... which is wheel hardness). If you're a bigger guy [apparently Diva Dude missed the part where you were a Ski Diva and therefore not a big guy], 200lbs plus, I would recommend 10mm axles in your trucks, and then of course 10mm bearings. The standard size is 8mm. The 8mm axles are always bending which make the board less stable. You may never notice if you're just cruising.

Always always always get a helmet and slide gloves!! Slide gloves are a work glove and high density plastic on the palms, ( or mom's old cutting boards ) WHEN you fall, not if... you will put your hands down, the slide gloves will protect your hands, AND will keep your shoulders from dislocating which is a common injury for those you dont wear SLIDE gloves. You can find these at shops, or make them your self..... google it, it's really easy and worth every cent. You will not regret your long board purchase, I have been riding with gents that STARTED once they retired. Its a great way to commute. With all that being said if it's only balance you're looking for, fill a 2 liter pop bottle with water, tighten the cap extra tight and lay it on the floor, then borrow the front of your mom's dresser drawers and dalance on the pop bottle! Any peice of wood will work if your mom is sensitive about her dressers. They are usualy oak and look super cool. This is called a homemade bongo board. They are good in the winter. But so is telemark skiing which is much cooler and life chaging. I recommend that! Good luck!

Ringrat's Diva Dude

[Ringrat doesn't recommend taking apart your dresser to make a bongo board.]

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WaterGirl- for surfing I longboard. I'm a beginner/advanced beginner surfer. The surf camp I am considering recommends skateboarding as a way to "train" for surfing when not actually able to do so. So I figured I'd try to pick up a skateboard.

Ringrat- thanks so much for this! This is very helpful.

So it sounds like a longboard is what I want after all!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@NewEnglandSkier - thanks for the update -- here are some thoughts (with some help from DH [a skater and surfer])

There are a few things you can do to help with surf training when there are no waves-- and while skateboarding has its place I guess, the following activities will give you the strength you need in the water -
paddling (if you have access to a surfboard and flat water)
swimming - and more swimming if you are not in the water surfing on a regular basis swim as much as you can (also swim underwater and hold your breath)
practicing your "pop ups" [place two parallel lines of masking tape on the floor approx 22 inches apart - lay on the floor and practice popping up to your surfer stance while staying inside the lines]
burpees - lots of them in a row
mountain climbers
push ups etc-- any core/upper body or lower leg strength training will help.

Skate boarding may help with balance and getting a "carving feel" but honestly, I only use a skateboard specifically for working on my backside muscle memory if I am going to be surfing more left hand breaks - I tick/tac the board to mimic hitting the lip "backside." There are some great skaters who can't surf, and some great surfers who don't skate at all. That being said, movement, balance and a bit of carving is all fun and if you have the time and place to do it ...... here is what DH is suggesting for a good basic board --

The board in the pictures belongs to DH and is 30" by 10." Ringrat's Diva Dude has good points about safety/ gloves; and the size and durometer of the wheels.
board1.jpg board2.jpg

The HOUSE has some good cruiser boards and great prices https://www.the-house.com/skatec.html -- here are 3 suggestions... the Arbor is the skinniest; the red duster is the widest - if you just wanted a basic board to play a round on, really you can't beat prices with the free shipping and a "free gift"

Arbor Pocket Rocket Bamboo Cruiser Complete 26 x 7.75in

Size: 7.75x26in
Our Price:
$149.95
35% Off
Dusters Bogue Longboard Complete Blue/Yellow

Size: 27 x 9.25in
Reg: $109.95On Sale:
$70.95
35% Off
Dusters Bogue Longboard Complete Red/Black

Size: 28 x 10.25in
Reg: $109.95On Sale:
$70.95

******but please skip the balance or indo boards--- your better off in a gym with a bosu balance trainer***** ;)

Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
My bootfitter, who is really in to body mechanics, was just telling me how good skateboarding is for skiers.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing that helped me alot with stance and balance was actually yoga. The core control combined with the mind body connection has helped me a ton with knowing where I am in space or where I am standing on the board and making adjustments. The hip mobility and flexibitly have made a huge difference in adjusting my weight. What really helps is the gazing though, I can look where I want to go without looking down at my feet and it's amazing what will knock you down when you are looking at it, compared to what you can balance through when you are looking up and can't see it.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bringing back this awesome thread! Though with a twist: I'm learning to skateboard because I want to be a better snowboarder. And because cruising bowls looks HELLA fun and we have a cool skatepark nearby.

I don't have illusions of a direct skill-transfer, it's just that bowl/transition skating looks fun and I'm sure it will help a bit with balance and confidence. I do have a full set of pads and a helmet. I went with an Arbor cruiser (Whiskey series 8.5 Forage) that's supposed to be a good all-around beginner board and seems like good quality without being overly expensive or discipline-specific for a newbie. (I wanted an Arbor because of their sustainability and also because I dream of owning one of their gorgeous snowboards)

I've been checking out videos of older women skaters for inspiration; Judi Oyama is just amazing and astronomically cool. Like, I would sell my cat to be 1/100th as cool as her for an hour. Jacki G. is really fun to watch because she's not as advanced, but has a great attitude and is obviously having so much fun. If anyone has other vid recommendations I would love them!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Yes!!! I skated when I was a kid basically because all the kids on our street did, but hadn't touched a board in years until this past summer. I'm trying to get back into it but I'm not very good and it's hard to motivate! It definitely scratches the same flowy itch for me that skiing does. Cruising bowls is also my goal.

I found a great women's org in Denver that does really lovely adult beginner classes that were among the most welcoming sports things I've ever done: https://www.instagram.com/girlsskatedenver/ There were women from ages maybe 18 through 50 at the classes I did, and both the high and low point was a teenager telling me, "I hope I'm still doing this at your age." L.O.L. Thanks, kid. I hope that for you, too.

For some reason, despite the fact that I am a software engineer and my entire career has been asserting myself in spaces full of men, I find skateparks very intimidating. All my experiences have been positive and the skate community really is very welcoming, but the hardest part for me is just getting out there with everyone else as a beginner. For a while I was going at 7:30am and that was great. Very empty, occasionally 1 or 2 other middle aged people.

Anyways, thank you for reviving this thread! Good reminder that I should start getting out there again now that it's spring.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I've only quickly skimmed this thread, but it is awesome. I love trying new sports, so will keep skateboarding in the back of my mind. I assumed that the skills would transfer more to snowboarding, but the fact that there may be a little help for skiing as well would help me rationalize getting a bongo board :becky:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Went to the skatepark this morning and there were 2 teenage boys there when I arrived at 7:45am. Honestly, I was impressed.

The thing that seems crazy to me with skateboarding is how scary it feels to take even the tiniest steps. I can drop in on this, for example:
drop1.jpg

But dropping in on this seems absolutely terrifying. It's only marginally steeper! But for some reason much much scarier.
drop2.jpg

Skating is also way less forgiving than skiing with keeping your weight forward, which I think will ultimately be very good for me. You get back even a little bit and the board is just gone.

Also came across this relatively new group a few weeks ago and I'm psyched to check out their ladies skate night later this month:

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried a couple years ago but want to get back to it again. All I can do is just roll around.
A lot of the younger skiers skate board, I'm not really sure how the skills transfer, I would think it would benefit snowboarders more?
I can't have anyone around in the park, I've gone at 6 am and had success. Nobody else goes that early.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I haven't been getting out enough this summer to really improve much, but I have been getting out some, and enjoying it when I do.

Checked out the skatepark in Frisco, CO for the first time today and it's a very fun park. I was cranky when I got there because I was the only woman AS USUAL but then a dad and grandpa who where there kind of went out of their way to be friendly and that was very nice. So, very welcoming crowd. After maybe 30 min they left and I had the place to myself... this was maybe 10:30am on a Thursday. I rolled through the other day to check out the scene at maybe 4pm and it was very packed... based on the crowd it seemed like prime after school time.

You could do worse for skatepark views.
PXL_20230817_165317547.jpg

The line I am hoping to have the courage to try tomorrow (down the right side):
PXL_20230817_165559307.jpg

The line I had the courage to try today (down the left side):
PXL_20230817_165416048.jpg

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@RachelV NICE! Omg, that is a great looking skatepark and a gorgeous backdrop!
I haven't been on my board much this summer; we've been having SO much rain in Vermont it's been really hard to get outside and do anything really. But I'm hopeful for a good fall and will post pics and/or hospital discharge forms :becky:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
... A lot of the younger skiers skate board, I'm not really sure how the skills transfer, I would think it would benefit snowboarders more? ...

My eternal skiing battle is not being in the back seat. Skateboarding is much more unforgiving re: not being in the back seat, so I'm hoping some of that transfers to my skiing.

I've only snowboarded a handful of times, and I am terrible, but I don't think skateboarding would necessarily benefit snowboarders more... you're not really going edge-to-edge on a skateboard, you're just kind of carving.

I think the physical commitment and body position stuff from any gravity sport is helpful for any other gravity sport, really. This might just be because I'm not very good at any of them. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly