• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Singing with your kids on the chairlift

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All this talk of Dr. Suess on the Quote of the Day thread, got me thinking about skiing with my son when he was little. He's 17 now and would never sing with me on the chairlfit, but when he was between the ages of 5 and 8 he would.

We made up a song for ourselves that went like this:

Let's go skiing down the hill
in my new skis and boots I will
the first to the top
without any stops
we'll have fun skiing down the hill

Let's go skiing in the trees
just my Tyler Pugliese and me
the first to the top
without any stops
we'll have fun skiing in the trees

Of course, my son liked to ski in the trees as the edges of a trail. And then I remembered those terribly slow chair lifts around the bunny slopes, where we would sing (to the tune of This is the Song that never ends):

This is the chair that never ends
It just goes on and on my friends
some people started riding it
not knowing what it was
and now we'll keep on riding it
forever just because
This is the chair that never ends
it just goes on and on my friends . . . .

Of course, the song never ends, which is part of the point.

Anyone else out there ever sing with you kids on the chair lift?

Or play games with them? There is always the popular "Pretend to be an Olympic judge rating skiers/boarders on the slope who have just fallen" game. "I'd give her an 8 but I'm sure the German judge would give her a 6!"

Ah, the memories . . . . :D

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My Dad used to sing to me all the time on the lift. Which I found terribly embarrassing as a teen-ager, but now think back on with fond reflection.

He's too arthritic to ski with me these days. But what I wouldn't give to have him on the lift with me now, singing.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't let Lola fool you. she hasn't stopped signing those songs. she has taught them to Crystel. You have missed a treat if you have missed that concert.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a natural instinct to sing with kids no matter what the activity.

Last year we skied a few times in the rain, so naturally our song of choice on the lift was...............

Skiing in the rain

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No haven't sung on the chair lift will definitely be silly and try it. But I did teach my daughter how to blow her nose without tissue. Is that gross or what? She thought it was cool. :confused:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HotChocolate said:
No haven't sung on the chair lift will definitely be silly and try it. But I did teach my daughter how to blow her nose without tissue. Is that gross or what? She thought it was cool. :confused:
some things in life are just necessary! A "farmer blow" as we call it, just has to be done some times!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, I still sing on the chairlift and on the hill and in the lodge. It drives hubby crazy - he gets so embarassed :smile: .

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
volklgirl said:
Hey, I still sing on the chairlift and on the hill and in the lodge. It drives hubby crazy - he gets so embarassed :smile: .
I luv ya Kris!
Looks like Dec 8th it is!

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
singing on the chair

I sing all the time when I am teaching little children. It is fun--they always know Twinkle, Twinkle and jingle bells. It makes the time pass so that they don't fidget too much and it is relaxing too. However, after age 8 they figure out that I can't carry a tune!!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love Shack
and
Who Let the Dogs Out

at full volume! :D

When I was a little girl, we used to sing a song on the chairlift that went like this:

Grandma's in the cellar
can't you smell her
making bisquits on that good ole wooden stove....
In her eye there was some matter
that kept drippin in the batter
and she whistled as a <sniff> ran down her nose!

Down her nose
Down her nose
And she whistled as a <sniff> ran down her nose!!!!!
:eek:

Crazy memories!

GirlFromPA

Certified Ski Diva
I sing on the chair lift all the time. Heck, I sing all the time. LOL!! The best was when we went skiing with all of our co-workers 3 weeks ago and my fiance was talking to one when we were on the lift. Suddenly I hear him say isn't it great? we get our own personal radio on the lift. I didn't even know I was singing. LOL!!

SkiBaby

Certified Ski Diva
I've yet to have the pleasure of riding the chairlift with my little skidivas, but when I do we will sing loud and with pleasure and probably borrow some of the very funny, clever lyric and song ideas many of you have enjoyed before us!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna