• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Simple mid-shaft fibula fracture... anyone with experience?

NEAri

Certified Ski Diva
So I managed to break my left fibula skiing back on January 14th. It was a simple mid-shaft fracture, with everything seemingly in the right place (there were a few pieces). I spent the first week hobbling around on crutches, but after seeing someone at orthopedics they gave me directions that I could walk on it as much as I could stand... Things were pretty ouchie at first, but at this point it's gotten a lot better.

I'm curious if anyone else has experience with healing from a similar fracture... and how soon you felt ready/healed to get back out on the slopes. I plan on asking orthopedics at my 5-week follow-up for their guidance, but am trying to gauge if I should keep hope alive for being on the slopes again this season... or prepare myself for the wait for 2022/2023 instead.

Attachments

• 2C4DFDD5-52C8-40E2-B9AE-3C257C3BF344_1_105_c.jpeg
    2C4DFDD5-52C8-40E2-B9AE-3C257C3BF344_1_105_c.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 12

NEAri

Certified Ski Diva
It probably depends mostly on where you ski and how long the season is there. :smile:
Fair point!

In Vermont and most of my skiing is at Okemo, which I think is closing up around April 17th (weather permitting). Killington has some spring skiing into May or June, so I’m hopeful that will at least be an option.

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
My injury last year was a bit more extensive (decided to break the tib and ankle, too) but here's what I'll say about my recovery: 1. my Fib bothered me for a long time - it just took a while for me to feel comfortable with the movement / rotation that is required. 2. PT was / is mission critical. 3. As I've started skiing again this year, my leg is not the problem. I like to refer to this as "The caller is inside the house." My brain is a bigger challenge; there is a hesitancy in my skiing that did not exist before. I'm slower, more cautious, and generally less aggressive.

That said, I'd recommend pursuing PT as soon (and as long) as possible. But also be prepared for a change in your style (I did not expect that, which was silly of me).

NEAri

Certified Ski Diva
Wow! @BonStarlet that sounds extensive! I broke this leg really badly many years ago, as a teen, and I have never really trusted it the same way since.

Just had my 5 week follow up with orthopedics. While the x-ray looks scary to me, they say it’s healing well and is probably at 60-70% of its original strength. When I asked about skiing the doc was a little hesitant that the boot (since this was essentially a boot top fracture) was going to hurt a bunch; however he did give me the go-ahead to pick some good snow days and try it out. I don’t mind discomfort as long as I’m not hurting my long-term recovery, but it still sounds like I should give it another week or so before making the attempt… here’s hoping for some really good March dumps!

Today’s X-ray attached if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• E5F080B9-24E2-4DBB-83A1-977D4E1C604C.jpeg
    E5F080B9-24E2-4DBB-83A1-977D4E1C604C.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 7

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Wow! @BonStarlet that sounds extensive! I broke this leg really badly many years ago, as a teen, and I have never really trusted it the same way since.

Just had my 5 week follow up with orthopedics. While the x-ray looks scary to me, they say it’s healing well and is probably at 60-70% of its original strength. When I asked about skiing the doc was a little hesitant that the boot (since this was essentially a boot top fracture) was going to hurt a bunch; however he did give me the go-ahead to pick some good snow days and try it out. I don’t mind discomfort as long as I’m not hurting my long-term recovery, but it still sounds like I should give it another week or so before making the attempt… here’s hoping for some really good March dumps!

Today’s X-ray attached if anyone is interested.
So glad that you are healing well! Have you tried on your boots yet? I have a new "hump" at the 'origination' point of the break on my shin and it did NOT feel nice in my boots. As a result, I'm the proud owner of new boots - which were custom fitted around my leg's new feature :smile:

NEAri

Certified Ski Diva
I did get my boots on earlier this week. They felt pretty good on my feet, but I think forward pressure seemed like it was going to be ouchie. I didn’t push it, but I may talk to my shop about ideas for reducing pressure on that part of my leg (I like your idea!). I had gotten new boots about a week before the crash… and I think they still need a LOT of breaking in, so having some more heat molding done might help break down those liners with me having to fight with it right now. :smile:

I like the molding idea. I am going to chat with my shop and see if they have ideas

newboots

Angel Diva
Hi @NEAri ! What an ordeal! I imagine the shop might be able to create a pad around your sensitive spot. I have a bump on my instep, and the bootfitter and the podiatrist suggested a pad with a hole in it right where the bump is. I don't know what's with your leg that's hurting, but it's definitely something you can play around with.

Like others, I'd urge you to do all the PT you can. Improves recovery from almost anything, I've found. Anyhow, I'm not sure how I missed you, but now that I've seen your thread,

:welcome:

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Hi @NEAri ! What an ordeal! I imagine the shop might be able to create a pad around your sensitive spot. I have a bump on my instep, and the bootfitter and the podiatrist suggested a pad with a hole in it right where the bump is. I don't know what's with your leg that's hurting, but it's definitely something you can play around with.

Like others, I'd urge you to do all the PT you can. Improves recovery from almost anything, I've found. Anyhow, I'm not sure how I missed you, but now that I've seen your thread,

:welcome:
PT for EVERYTHING. Can't second this enough! Up until last year's leg incident...i've been fortunate enough to go the PT route over surgery for all of my major injuries. I'll be in PT for...maybe ever (LOL) but seriously - do the PT until they stop letting you come back!

Also @NEAri give yourself time. (i'm totally being a hypocrite - and i recognize this, given my own frustration). It takes time. Some days it feels great, some days NOT so much. Some days on the mountain are a blast, others are better spent having a nice apres beverage.....

NEAri

Certified Ski Diva
... give yourself time. (i'm totally being a hypocrite - and i recognize this, given my own frustration). It takes time. Some days it feels great, some days NOT so much. Some days on the mountain are a blast, others are better spent having a nice apres beverage.....

You're right, of course, and I will do my best. I'm generally a pretty active person and since discovering skiing last year it is my go to for winter exercise. Being cooped up for several weeks has taken a nasty toll on my mental health. It's getting better now, but it's hard not to feel down when the weather outside looks truly delightful.

newboots

Angel Diva
I always have to remind myself, there will be more ski days, more winters. I am impatient, too, when other things get in the way.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I spent 6 weeks cooped up indoors sitting on the couch. Right now I appreciate all the outdoor time I can manage. I don't think a person realizes what they have until it is taken away.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@NEAri - skiing has absolutely meant better mental health for me. I hear you.

Sorry for the blergh. My replacement addiction during the week is tuning my cappuccino game on our fairly inexpensive espresso maker. Maybe you can find a replacement like that!? Now, as a bonus, I‘m both a better skier and a better barista than I was 2 years ago. ;)

NEAri

Certified Ski Diva
Just wanted to give an update, in case anyone else with a similar break wonders… when might I feel up to hitting the slopes again…

22DDF9DE-BF63-4B05-A3FA-25BDF2310CC0.jpeg
This is just a couple days shy of 8 weeks. I had an amazing day. I tried skiing just a few days ago and it wasn’t working out. Things today were still sore, but I hit up several greens and blues… and slowly picked my way down one black.

The hardest part was whenever there was any chop that caused my leg to bounce up/down. Otherwise there wasn’t really much discomfort while skiing.

NEAri

Certified Ski Diva
...and another follow-up... My leg really started feeling much more stable and mostly normal by week 11. At this point I've got some shin splits or something that hurts sometimes, but otherwise I'm starting to feel okay jumping around/over the bumps on my skis and that discomfort from bouncing has gone. Whew!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly