• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Silverton, CO

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haven't been to Silverton, but it is one of those places on our "some day" list. Heard it is very gnarly terrain. I suppose once I get bored skiing the double blacks at Taos I might have enough skill to give Silverton a try! :o

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As you know, Ski Diva, my husband and I are skiing at Silverton in March. :smile: I will be sure to let everyone know our experience. We are working out extra hard at the gym to be ready. We sure don't want to be like that telemark skier who found out he couldn't quite keep up! :eek:

Of course, we won't overestimate our skiing by saying, "Please put us in a really fast group...or even a pretty fast group." ;)

Thatsagirl

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be there eventually. My brother patrols there; moved his family there last year. I don't know that we'll have time to go this season, maybe late March or April. I need to get my knee in better shape first.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, pinto, tell us what your brother says about Silverton...you can't leave us in the dark after saying a family member patrols there! ;)

Also, maybe you could PM me with your brother's name so we can say "hi" to him if he's there the day we are! My husband is a patroller and we always stop in and speak to patrollers wherever we go.

Thatsagirl

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL -- well, he doesn't do much guiding. He did some last season, when he was new, and because the patrol and guides were sort of the same people. But now that they have opened up some to unguided skiing, the patrol has sort of divided into snow safety guys and guides, who serve as the "patrol" for injuries ... although there are very, very few injuries in a place like that. When my brother was interviewing, I believe they said there had been only six people carried off the mountain in the previous season. Entire SEASON.

So his gig is avalanche control ... hopefully he's doing it well! He usually does! I don't know how much guest interaction he has anymore. In a place that small, I'm sure you end up doing a little of this and a little of that, though.

But since I haven't been there yet (I've been to the town, but it wasn't ski season), these are just my general impressions ....

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, pinto, if he does avi control, my husband would love to talk to him because he's always wanted to toss grenades for avi control! Can't do that here in the East. ;) Within the next few years, we will be moving out West and then he just might have his chance. LOL

I'm not surprised to hear they have few accidents. When you have a mountain that is geared towards advanced/expert skiers and riders, you have clientele who are more in control of their skills. Also, with the kind of terrain that Silverton has, skiers/riders are more cautious. On the other hand, when they do have accidents, they are usually doozies. :o

What about the terrain? Has he ever described it to you? Compared it to what you're used to skiing? Even a little morsel will help! :D

Thatsagirl

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thatsagirl said:
Well, pinto, if he does avi control, my husband would love to talk to him because he's always wanted to toss grenades for avi control! Can't do that here in the East. ;) Within the next few years, we will be moving out West and then he just might have his chance. LOL

Yeah, what a dream job for a boy -- you get to ski all day and throw bombs!

My brother has had several run-ins with TSA, however -- every time he flies, the detectors pick up traces of explosives on his luggage. He doesn't use the same bags, but just putting the bags into his truck cross-contaminates everything. Occupational hazard ... and he does have a license for handling explosives, so it's never been a huge deal. He just has to get to the airport early.

What about the terrain? Has he ever described it to you? Compared it to what you're used to skiing? Even a little morsel will help! :D

Thatsagirl

There is a great trip report on TGR: https://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72435&highlight=silverton. It's more than just Silverton, but there are great photos and descriptions of Silverton and surrounding areas, better than I can give. Enjoy!

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How funny about the run-ins with TSA! I'll have to warn my hubby! :D

Thanks for the link, awesome pics and TR. I've been surfing TGR for Silverton stuff, but hadn't reached that one yet...

Our trip also includes Telluride with some hiking to their guided terrain, Durango snowcat skiing, Crested Butt and Monarch (with more snowcat skiing). We're gonna be exhausted when we're through! :cool:

Thatsagirl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly