• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

"Side Sugar"? (Skiing in piled-up Granular)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mid Atlantic/Northeast skiers: does anyone else enjoy those granular areas of sugary snow that form at the sides of trails when there's been a freeze-thaw cycle and most of the rest of the trail is scraped-off ice? (West Coast and Rockies skiers, avert your eyes or you will read about some horrible things!)

I used to cling to those sugary sand dunes like grim death when I was a beginner because I knew they would slow me down. But I couldn't steer in them, so they scared me. I eventually achieved a level of tolerance for them.

The other day I grabbed my 97-waist all-mountain twin-tip Soul Riders on a whim as I headed to Blue Mountain. They actually have a good amount of camber and good edge grip, so I figured I let them out of the barn and see what they would do despite the inevitable operator error I'd be contributing.

I stayed until late in the day and in typical Poconos fashion, the afternoon trails were scraped off except for the soft sugary sections down each side. Well, I ended up having an absolute HOOT smearing around on the stuff. It was so easy to sort of float and steer with my feet/knees and for once just have fun and not think about the eleven-thousand parts of the turn and whether I'm executing every one of them properly. I felt like I was in a really lame Warren Miller movie (Children of the Corn...Snow, Here, There, and Everywhere: ICE!, Chasing Shadows: Where You Can't See the ICE...).

I was just wondering what others thought, how you approach those conditions, and if you have strategies that work for you. Do you avoid the piles and prefer to carve on the hardpack? Go home when conditions deteriorate? Just curious as someone new to these conditions. Thanks!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love it, espeically when I am having a hard day. I used it to also practice powder and crud technique and soft bumps.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It gets in my head when I am too close to the trees. (Unless I have great control in the sides.) I have seen three people who have hit trees with horrible consequences.

Disclaimer: The places I ski are mere trails through the forest. Not at all like skiing at altitude when the trees are scattered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna