• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Should we cancel Diva East and West for 2022?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh man, my husband would be in heaven. And don't get me wrong, poutine is amazing, it's just hard to find gluten free versions as there is usually flour in the gravy.

I'm actually more of a purist and like plain Poutine, some places at the tastings try to do too many fancy additions with the gravy and toppings for my liking or don't use actual cheese curd.. It's really fun though! It's usually somewhat local restaurants that go and the Poutine is what they have on their menus. So you also know where to get one again if you like it a lot.

altagirl

Staff member
I'm actually more of a purist and like plain Poutine, some places at the tastings try to do too many fancy additions with the gravy and toppings for my liking or don't use actual cheese curd.. It's really fun though! It's usually somewhat local restaurants that go and the Poutine is what they have on their menus. So you also know where to get one again if you like it a lot.
Okay wait - I've never even heard of it without cheese cards and gravy. What?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wait...they're not a food group? :eek:

When I was a kid, my parents made the mistake of telling me that potatoes were a vegetable. Two conversations that were had regularly:

Parents: What would you like for a vegetable tonight? **thinking green beans, salad, or broccoli**
Me: Potatoes.

Waitress: What would you like for your two sides?
Me: French fries and mashed potatoes, please.

Sorry, had to comment on the general love for potatoes...:focus:
And on the opposite end of things, my youngest went through a phase when they were around 5 saying they didn’t like potatoes. At the dinner table “do you like fries?” “Yes” says the child. “Do you like potato chips?” “Yes.” “How about mashed, you love to help make those.” “Yeah.” Go down the entire list of gratin, poutine, raclette, etc —same answer. “Ok, so how about you eat your potatoes then.” Kid replies- “But I don’t like potatoes.”

Turns out they thought that as a kid you are supposed to have at least one food you don’t like, but nothing came to mind right off and randomly chose potatoes. Kids.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@altagirl There will be some type of gravy like maybe with their theme a white gravy works, or I had one that was an Asian Fusion place that used a Pho gravy. The Shipyard restaurant at Sunday River uses an Onion soup gravy which is actually really good, but I digress. Then perhaps they will use melted cheese but not actually curd, or I think the Asian one had some other type of crumbled cheese. There might be like pulled pork on top so the gravy is more BBQ flavored, etc. Some also will do tater tots instead of fries, which is ehh for me too lol. There are so many different "interpretations" of Poutine, but for me I just like the original fries, brown gravy, and cheese curd best. I'd love a Poutinefest where it's just that and seeing who makes it best.

altagirl

Staff member
And on the opposite end of things, my youngest went through a phase when they were around 5 saying they didn’t like potatoes. At the dinner table “do you like fries?” “Yes” says the child. “Do you like potato chips?” “Yes.” “How about mashed, you love to help make those.” “Yeah.” Go down the entire list of gratin, poutine, raclette, etc —same answer. “Ok, so how about you eat your potatoes then.” Kid replies- “But I don’t like potatoes.”

Turns out they thought that as a kid you are supposed to have at least one food you don’t like, but nothing came to mind right off and randomly chose potatoes. Kids.
It's like when my sister was quite young, people always made a big deal out of her red hair. So she just decided it was NOT RED. We'd be at church and some poor person would tell her they loved her red hair and she'd run around screaming that her hair was not red. Okay... fine. We asked her what color it was and she declared it to be yellow. Alrighty then. What a cute yellow-head you are! :rotf:

Soujan

Angel Diva
Promise to get back on topic, but just wanted to say for anyone interested that Poutinefest tickets go on sale this Saturday, they sell out extremely FAST so if interested don't hesitate! It's in southern NH in October, outside event.
Maybe next Diva meetup should be at PoutineFest! It's on October 23rd.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Off topic, but related to the food topic: @altagirl … my dear friend and I between the two of us are allergic to buckwheat, corn and quinoa … I joke is that gluten is great for us but almost anything gluten free is likely to kill one of us.

:bounce:

I laugh about it because my PROGRESSIVELY WORSE reactions that end up in me passing out while scratching my body violently while gasping for breath have all happened while I was traveling and in a hotel. So, it’s laugh or live in terror…

Poutine, however, mmmmmm. There are some good poutine purveyors here in WI.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Promise to get back on topic, but just wanted to say for anyone interested that Poutinefest tickets go on sale this Saturday, they sell out extremely FAST so if interested don't hesitate! It's in southern NH in October, outside event.
I read this earlier today and wanted to cry..... I haven't had "good" traditional poutine in a few years.
I worked in Toronto for 4 years with one month over the summer spent in Quebec.
DH has family in Boston.... an excuse to finally visit....

There was one restaurant in LA that had great poutine but its been closed for a few years. ;(
And yes, they did have a few versions but very traditional - my favorite was mixing the 'regular' with the duck confit poutine. Don't really like any other trendy versions, just give me the brown gravy and curds on some fries......

Mount Hood brewing company (Government Camp, OR) had some of the best poutine on the west coast, but its no longer on their menu....

sigh. All the good restaurants that we loved have been disappearing over the years....

Last edited:

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
My DD is a poutine fanatic and attendee that event in the past. She LOVED it!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I read this earlier today and wanted to cry..... I haven't had "good" traditional poutine in a few years.
I worked in Toronto for 4 years with one month over the summer spent in Quebec.
DH has family in Boston.... an excuse to finally visit....

There was one restaurant in LA that had great poutine but its been closed for a few years. ;(
And yes, they did have a few versions but very traditional - my favorite was mixing the 'regular' with the duck confit poutine. Don't really like any other trendy versions, just give me the brown gravy and curds on some fries......

Mount Hood brewing company (Government Camp, OR) had some of the best poutine on the west coast, but its no longer on their menu....

sigh. All the good restaurants that we loved have been disappearing over the years....

Definitely sounds like time for a trip over!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Vail put out their Covid safety rules for the season. No reservations and no capacity or mask restrictions in line or on lifts. Including gondolas..?

However, if you want to go inside you must mask and to dine inside if 12+ you must show proof of vaccination.

FD783DAC-0DB6-4073-AC33-13AAB807A754.jpeg

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vail put out their Covid safety rules for the season. No reservations and no capacity or mask restrictions in line or on lifts. Including gondolas..?

However, if you want to go inside you must mask and to dine inside if 12+ you must show proof of vaccination.

View attachment 16487
Proof of vaccination?????? That is absurd, especially for the young adolescents. They can just have their lunch on the gondola; in a more crowded environment.

Jilly

Staff member
Since no one has a vaccine that can be given to under 12, 12 and under are exempt. At least here in Canada.

Whistler will have different rules as the provincial government rules will apply.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Proof of vaccination?????? That is absurd, especially for the young adolescents. They can just have their lunch on the gondola; in a more crowded environment.
Do you mean it's absurd to expect them to hold on to proof of vaccination? I made sure to hold on to our family's vaccination cards and could easily bring them skiing. I imagine though that Vail will come up with a way to have your vaccine status verified once.

Polly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flights into Reno from ORD were constantly changing each quarter (or season?) even pre-pandemic, so no matter what, I was going to wait and see how the flights looked closer to the week of the event. I would also be looking at the Washoe County infection rates at that time, as well. I wasn't planning to share lodging w anyone, so that's not an issue for me. TBH, my worst covid pinch point is going through O'hare and any other large airports because we all know most airports have outgrown their baggage check in and gate seating areas and can get really crowded. (TBH, Reno isn't usually too bad in that regard, in my experience.)
Oof. I live in Sparks NV so basically Reno just a hair North. The flight situation has improved then got crappy again due to the wildfires and the poor visibility that caused for pilots. TBH while flights are opened back up and costs have reduced, Washoe County numbers are BAD. We have a mask mandate indoors, our Governor has become strict on it but our hospitals are overwhelmed and they’re talking about rationing care. I’m not optimistic about Washoe County over the winter season as folks here are not abiding (it’s bad) despite a rising vaccination rate. For the trip, I don’t want to comment to much on whether a cancelation makes sense because I live here and am not traveling but if one accepts the risks involved with flying, I feel one could act safely for the trip considering ensuring vaccination or staying solo vs w a group for lodging, skiing is outdoors, etc. and actually effective masks (N and KN 95) are plenty.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly