• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Should we cancel Diva East and West for 2022?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
For indoor dining that doesn't make me feel better, now that we know vaccinated people can spread it anyway. Masking universally is always good though for sure. I'm kind of surprised to hear your approach after last year though, glad you are less anxious traveling about. :smile:
I guess I’m “over” COVID to a certain extent lol. It happens to all of us! It’s true that vaccinated people can spread it but I guess my risk calculation and tolerance has shifted over the last 5 months or so. I think if Dr Pugs had expressed any uncertainty I would definitely pause but he’s here living the foodie life too.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm probably more "risky" than many here simply because I worked through the pandemic pre-vaccine in a "frontline" job (cashier at a grocery store), and I'm now attending in-person classes without social distancing and only a 3-layer surgical mask. I'll dine indoors, although I wear a mask to my table. But at some point I figure I have to rely on the vaccine and my immune system to do what they can. Is it fool-proof? No. Could I still get Covid? Sure. But with no end in site, I sort of feel like I did and am doing what I can to protect myself, and that's all I can do, short of staying home, which I can't do anyhow because of school. At the very least, I've reduced my risk of severe complications.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It’s funny how for some people I would be considered super cautious and for some of my friends, I’m like the voice of risk-taking reason.

Haha I guess the same for me. I'm still trying to wrap my head around outside versus inside. I am happy to do about anything outside, including going to concerts and a football game with 60k other people. Which others might think is nuts. I still bring a mask for inside trips to the bathroom etc. though at those places. And I still mask everywhere else in public inside, so that takes eating inside off of my list. BUT my absolute favorite thing is to dine outside, especially by the ocean or some sort of body of water, so we've done that a bunch this summer and I don't feel the least bit limited by not eating inside. There hasn't been anywhere I want to eat that doesn't have an outdoor option or huge open windows you can sit beside etc. That might change when it's too cold to eat outside, but I don't feel it's a big deal for me personally. I'm NOT a foodie though, I'm pretty much the least picky eater there is outside of a few things that I just won't touch like peanut butter. lol

Last edited:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
For my area, I'm on the cautious side. I wear my mask in stores and indoors at public places. We have parents here who are protesting masking kids are school, and school districts that are defying our governor's mask mandate. It's insane. But I also feel that at this point, if we're vaccinated and wearing masks, we should live our lives.

MissySki

Angel Diva
But I also feel that at this point, if we're vaccinated and wearing masks, we should live our lives.

Where do you land on the indoor dining piece? That seems to be the crux of it for those who wear masks inside everywhere else still, but then there's dining which is inside and no one is wearing a mask. I get stuck on that one. Otherwise, well why do I need to wear a mask anywhere else indoors then period? It's always seemed like one of those items with an asterisk where it's more about the economy and those businesses' livelihoods (which is no small matter, I'm not saying that it is) versus the overall guidance for anywhere else.

I mean, anywhere with substantial to high transmission rates, which are probably many counties since it is even in MA, the CDC guidance is still to wear masks indoors even if you're vaccinated. So I just don't get how you move past that in restaurants but follow it everywhere else. It's a sticking point for me because it makes absolutely no sense. Especially when most restaurants I've seen no longer have reduced capacity and/or very spaced out tables which was part of the previous rationale.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Yes, I definitely get stuck on that one, too. I suspect statistics would show that transmission rates are higher for places like restaurants, for that reason. Gyms, too I would think. But I guess there has to be a balance with the people who will attempt to kidnap their governor for closing those places down, or forcing them to provide dine out only. I agree, the decision to fully open restaurants, etc. must be economic, not scientific.

Even in grocery stores, in the midst of the first wave (with no vaccine yet), people were shopping without masks, and the stores refused to enforce the rule. People make things harder for everyone sometimes.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
If diva west gets cancelled but you still want to come out here, let me know. I am in the area, although my county is at barely over 50% of the eligible population vaccinated and our mask mandate is not being enforced by the sheriff. I'm not sure what the scene is in north lake tahoe, and I don't think the resorts have published their winter plans yet, given that many have had other things on their minds lately.
Let me know as well..... I have Epic so more inclined to ski those resorts but would be up for Rose one day for sure. Took probably 5-6 trips to Tahoe last season (both North and South) and felt pretty safe. Mask protocols in place and no indoor dining was fine with me.

newboots

Angel Diva
The results of a couple of studies indicate that the rate of hospitalization and deaths among the vaccinated are really very small, and usually occur in the elderly and compromised.

I have a recently-discovered lung issue (and I'm 68) so I am suddenly more worried; I feel elderly and compromised! This is emotion, not rational thinking, at work. But in our family group we still have 3-year-old Frankie, who goes to day care and has already brought home a cold. I'm torn about what is appropriate for me in terms of precautions. I am fully vaxxed and wearing a 2-layer mask anyway.

Christy

Angel Diva
Where do you land on the indoor dining piece? That seems to be the crux of it for those who wear masks inside everywhere else still, but then there's dining which is inside and no one is wearing a mask. I get stuck on that one. Otherwise, well why do I need to wear a mask anywhere else indoors then period? It's always seemed like one of those items with an asterisk where it's more about the economy and those businesses' livelihoods (which is no small matter, I'm not saying that it is) versus the overall guidance for anywhere else.

I mean, anywhere with substantial to high transmission rates, which are probably many counties since it is even in MA, the CDC guidance is still to wear masks indoors even if you're vaccinated. So I just don't get how you move past that in restaurants but follow it everywhere else. It's a sticking point for me because it makes absolutely no sense. Especially when most restaurants I've seen no longer have reduced capacity and/or very spaced out tables which was part of the previous rationale.

Definitely good points and those of us that are vaxxed do seem to be all over the place with this. I suppose it just has to do with risk tolerance. I dined indoors this summer during the lull but now I am only down for outdoor dining...except maybe at a place that requires you to show your vaxx card? I'd still prefer outdoors. I do very much understand the attitude about wanting to get back to doing certain things. Wearing a mask other places doesn't impair my experience at the grocery for example but you just can't do that at a restaurant. And presumably people that are high risk can avoid restaurants while they may not be able to avoid the pharmacy.

Christy

Angel Diva
The results of a couple of studies indicate that the rate of hospitalization and deaths among the vaccinated are really very small, and usually occur in the elderly and compromised.

Part of my hesitation for indoor dining and even indoor socializing, in some contexts, is that I'm really unclear as to exactly what the risk is. I may be thinking that the risk is bigger than it is. And I get it, this is all new.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just an update: as of right now I am not inclined to cancel either Diva West or Diva East. Though I really don't want anyone attending who isn't vaccinated. And I think it'd be a good idea to get tested beforehand. But as I said when I started this thread, other than flying (which I'd have to do for Diva West) and the apres gatherings -- for which we could be cautious -- I don't see that much of a difference from skiing at home. To me, the biggest hurdle is flying. I've done it a few times since the pandemic began, and I don't like it at all. Nonetheless, if I want to go, it's a necessary evil.

I guess the whole point of this discussion is that if things get really bad, it's just something we just have to prepare for.

Lmk92

Angel Diva

I have a recently-discovered lung issue (and I'm 68) so I am suddenly more worried; I feel elderly and compromised! This is emotion, not rational thinking, at work. But in our family group we still have 3-year-old Frankie, who goes to day care and has already brought home a cold. I'm torn about what is appropriate for me in terms of precautions. I am fully vaxxed and wearing a 2-layer mask anyway.
I hope your lung issue can be resolved quickly, @newboots . After skiing with you, even for a short time, I didn't think you were at all elderly or compromised!

newboots

Angel Diva
I hope your lung issue can be resolved quickly, @newboots . After skiing with you, even for a short time, I didn't think you were at all elderly or compromised!

Thank you!

My anxiety tends toward imagining the worst, as you can see. I just worry when the pulmonologist says he doesn't want to make any changes until I get a cardiac evaluation.
:scared:

However, I'm still planning on a full ski season! Take that, medical anxiety!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Thank you!

My anxiety tends toward imagining the worst, as you can see. I just worry when the pulmonologist says he doesn't want to make any changes until I get a cardiac evaluation.
:scared:

However, I'm still planning on a full ski season! Take that, medical anxiety!
Yes, I would feel the same way. Fingers crossed for good news (be sure to let us know right away!), and thumbs up for the spicy attitude!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I did watch you order and eat a whole plate of fries for lunch.

Is that unfoodie in itself? lol Potatoes are an entire food group to me, I'm obsessed with them lol. Every which way you can have a potato, count me in. French fries are a favorite. How gross am I, we went to a fair a couple of weeks ago and I had Poutine (because if there is Poutine I will always have that no matter what), cheese fries, fried clam strips, and a gigantic pickle on a stick, oh and Del's Lemonade slush. :rotf: I mean, I kind of feel like that's what fairs are for, but also I have the palate of a 10 year old and am very happy with pretty simple foods. On the other hand I'll also go to the opposite end of the spectrum with Oysters and Champagne like we did last week after an Oyster farm tour down on the water. I feel equally happy in either situation. :noidea:

My fiancé is like the pickiest eater I've ever met. Good thing he likes to cook!

Soujan

Angel Diva
Is that unfoodie in itself? lol Potatoes are an entire food group to me, I'm obsessed with them lol. Every which way you can have a potato, count me in. French fries are a favorite. How gross am I, we went to a fair a couple of weeks ago and I had Poutine (because if there is Poutine I will always have that no matter what), cheese fries, fried clam strips, and a gigantic pickle on a stick, oh and Del's Lemonade slush. :rotf: I mean, I kind of feel like that's what fairs are for, but also I have the palate of a 10 year old and am very happy with pretty simple foods. On the other hand I'll also go to the opposite end of the spectrum with Oysters and Champagne like we did last week after an Oyster farm tour down on the water. I feel equally happy in either situation. :noidea:

My fiancé is like the pickiest eater I've ever met. Good thing he likes to cook!
I think the foodie thing would be to say you love "pomme frites." And poutine is good.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Is that unfoodie in itself? lol Potatoes are an entire food group to me, I'm obsessed with them lol. Every which way you can have a potato, count me in. French fries are a favorite.
Wait...they're not a food group? :eek:

When I was a kid, my parents made the mistake of telling me that potatoes were a vegetable. Two conversations that were had regularly:

Parents: What would you like for a vegetable tonight? **thinking green beans, salad, or broccoli**
Me: Potatoes.

Waitress: What would you like for your two sides?
Me: French fries and mashed potatoes, please.

Sorry, had to comment on the general love for potatoes...:focus:

altagirl

Staff member
Promise to get back on topic, but just wanted to say for anyone interested that Poutinefest tickets go on sale this Saturday, they sell out extremely FAST so if interested don't hesitate! It's in southern NH in October, outside event.
Oh man, my husband would be in heaven. And don't get me wrong, poutine is amazing, it's just hard to find gluten free versions as there is usually flour in the gravy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna