• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Should we cancel Diva East and West for 2022?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I did not realized most of you are located in East. I will spend my ski season out West again.......
I don't think it's that most Divas are in the east. It's more that Divas who attend Diva East and Diva West who discuss plans for those events starting in the spring to be from the northeast. If they want to ski big mountains with the chance of deep powder, they have to fly west.

There are Divas in the southeast and midwest too. We have to travel a fair distance one way or another ski at a mountain with more than 1000 ft vertical. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
For background for my comments in Post #2 for those who don't know me . . . bottom line is that I haven't stopped traveling but I have made adjustments in assorted ways.

* I've attended Diva East and Diva West in the past. Great way to meet Divas and have a fun time on and off the slopes.
* I flew Southwest for four ski trips out west last season, plus drove to ski in my home region in Jan and Feb.
* I have four ski trips trips planned for 2021-22, two flying and two driving. Not including skiing my home resort.
* A few weeks ago I opted not to do a second mid-season trip out west in favor of a driving ski safari in the northeast instead.

My husband and I were supposed to drive from NC to FL in early Sept to use his timeshare week. We cancelled about two weeks before we were supposed to leave. In the past, we flew when going to Orlando.

Ohh which mountains do you plan to ski in the Northeast? Are you coming to Diva East as part of it?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ohh which mountains do you plan to ski in the Northeast? Are you coming to Diva East as part of it?
Nope, not Diva East. Going to Indy Pass locations that aren't quite as far a drive from NC. I'll start a MOTH thread in early January. The exact dates for each mountain will depend on weather and snow conditions. That's the fun of a week-long ski safari doing day trips from a home base with options. Much easier to do in the northeast than out west.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good news! So we have some time to watch the trends, wring our handkerchiefs, and make a decision later.

Agree- I'd suggest we hold off on making a final decision until just before the Jan 9 condo rental deadline.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Diva East - I will be driving and returning home at the end of the day, so that is not a worry. Booting, lunch time, and the such will need to be figured-out, but I am good with that.

Diva West - I have not flown since this all started, but I need to start looking at flights soon. Shared living space with people I know are cautious and vaccinated is less of a concern than airports and restaurants en-route. That said, I am probably most concerned about getting stranded at the airport due to rental car snafus!

Amie H

Angel Diva
Yes, a few times. Most recent in July but we had United Club passes so we weren't smashed in the gate area until boarding
Also, we are TSA precheck and didn't have bags to check on that trip so never in a crowded queue.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Also, we are TSA precheck and didn't have bags to check on that trip so never in a crowded queue.
I went ahead and paid to get TSA Precheck for the next 5 years for the 2020-21 ski season flights. Used to get it for free on SW but hadn't gotten Precheck much in 2019. Definitely makes a difference.

Ended up with long layovers in Denver the most last winter. Wasn't an issue since there are areas on the upper floor where they had well-spaced tables and very few people know about it. Enough tables are near an outlet that it's possible to plug-in if necessary.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I had originally put my name down for Diva East but will be pulling out because the timing does not work and I want to make the most out of my Ikon Pass.

Both DH and I have been fully vaccinated since early February. I'm a first responder and he is a physical therapist. Neither of us has ceased going to work since the pandemic began. I have travelled several times this year for vacation. We have flown to Albuquerque, NM and to Las Vegas, NV. We both feel comfortable with travel and with indoor dining. I take public transportation to work and do my weekly grocery shopping like normal. I wash my hands often. Everyone has their comfort level but I feel like you need to trust your vaccine a bit. However, I wouldn't travel to a COVID hotspot or someplace with a very low vaccination rate because a lot of people in these places can be real jerks about COVID. With that said, I will be on vacation again next week in Lake Placid. Had to unfortunately cancel my trip to Lake Tahoe due to the wildfires.

Last edited:

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I had originally put my name down for Diva East but will be pulling out because the timing does not work and I want to make the most out of my Ikon Pass.

Both DH and I have been fully vaccinated since early February. I'm a first responder and he is a physical therapist. Neither of us has ceased going to work since the pandemic began. I have travelled several times this year for vacation. We have flown to Albuquerque, NM and to Las Vegas, NV. We both feel comfortable with travel and with indoor dining. I take public transportation to work and do my weekly grocery shopping like normal. I wash my hands often. Everyone has their comfort level but I feel like you need to trust your vaccine a bit. However, I wouldn't travel to a COVID hotspot or someplace with a very low vaccination rate because a lot of people in these places can be real jerks about COVID. With that said, I will be on vacation again next week in Lake Placid. Had to unfortunately cancel my trip to Lake Tahoe due to the wildfires.
We have a group of professionals in our area trying to combat the people who are being jerks about Covid. I've read the country is peaking with Delta, but my county is not. I think it's also moving north? But the peak should be over by Diva East, I would think. I agree it's too early to cancel.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I felt like that more before Delta, more and more breakthrough cases, and the potential for waning immunity in less time than anticipated.
I’m in NYC for a few days… everyone is required to show proof of vaccination in restaurants and masks are universally required on the subways. I made a decision that with these measures in place, I would have to just live my life and like @Soujan I’ve decided to trust the vaccine a bit.

I know that the whole “stop living in fear” thing is a political meme but everyone must have a line as to where they’re willing to move on with life. Apparently I’ve found my line.

Christy

Angel Diva
To me, watching hospitalization rates is key. So many of us have had an injury during skiing, or heck, just walking on the sidewalk. In Idaho, where they have implemented "crisis standards of care", I did read specifically that hospitals are turning away people with ortho injuries (among many other and worse things). I personally would not travel to a place where if I get in a car accident, or slip on ice and hit my head, or fracture my tibial plateau, I could not receive care.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I know that the whole “stop living in fear” thing is a political meme but everyone must have a line as to where they’re willing to move on with life. Apparently I’ve found my line.
It’s funny how for some people I would be considered super cautious and for some of my friends, I’m like the voice of risk-taking reason.

I’ve also found my line and it’s far more risk friendly than some of my friends, but also fairly cautious. We do have to live our lives, and I’m raising kids who cannot emotionally or mentally handle incessant lockdown.

To me, watching hospitalization rates is key.

This is so spot on. We have to make decisions based on context. The sad thing to me is that because of politics trumping public health in a lot of places, the leadership decisions that should be made off of this information aren’t happening. If hospitals cannot accept ortho patients, or worse yet, are on divert, then that seems to me like a good time for the government to put restrictions on certain things in place. Or at least communicate effectively to decrease traffic, for example.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
To me, watching hospitalization rates is key. So many of us have had an injury during skiing, or heck, just walking on the sidewalk.
Yes, I agree with that. For the purposes of Diva West, I plan to continue watching hospitalization rates and availability of care. The hospital situation is scary everywhere… even where COVID hospitalizations are relatively low, staffing is a huge problem causing beds to be unavailable.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m in NYC for a few days… everyone is required to show proof of vaccination in restaurants and masks are universally required on the subways. I made a decision that with these measures in place, I would have to just live my life and like @Soujan I’ve decided to trust the vaccine a bit.

For indoor dining that doesn't make me feel better, now that we know vaccinated people can spread it anyway. Masking universally is always good though for sure. I'm kind of surprised to hear your approach after last year though, glad you are less anxious traveling about. :smile:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If diva west gets cancelled but you still want to come out here, let me know. I am in the area, although my county is at barely over 50% of the eligible population vaccinated and our mask mandate is not being enforced by the sheriff. I'm not sure what the scene is in north lake tahoe, and I don't think the resorts have published their winter plans yet, given that many have had other things on their minds lately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna