• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Should I try narrower? Considering Volkl Flair 76 or Super Joy

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, when were you skiing ice and slush? Last week?
Maybe my terminology is incorrect? I was at Kirkwood on Saturday. Anything in the shade was hard and icy to me, but it was nice and soft in the sun.

The weekend before, I was Sierra-at-Tahoe, which wasn't really icy at all because the runs I went on were in the sun starting quite early. Just snow the consistency of a slurpee.

My most common experience over the past 20 years is kinda hard and slippery in the morning, which I do not like, and fairly soft and wet in the afternoon, which I'm fine with. Mostly I go later in the season.

Bonnie2617

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The 84 should be a great option for the conditions you are skiing. I’d say sharpen up your skills and demo to see what makes you smile! Maybe there would be some small difference in ability to edge, but probably not enough to help or hinder progression noticeably. Dont think you’d nessassiry feel more stable on the icier conditions on the narrower - would likely depend more on your skills, comfort, and there could be other construction differences on the skis that impact this.

I have been converted to the camp of not going too wide and have skied several years on a 79 and will stick to that for my daily east coast driver. But I did recently add a 92 for the very occasional sprinkling of snow in the east coast and trips out west (I’ve been once so far lol. We have big plans though!). I tried the 92s in icy conditions as I had to give them a go before the season was over and I was quite surprised at how well they did and how well I could carve them. Shoutout to the infamous Sheeva 9’s! They had a bit less bite than the narrower skis, but were still great and no complaints on those conditions.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Maybe my terminology is incorrect? I was at Kirkwood on Saturday. Anything in the shade was hard and icy to me, but it was nice and soft in the sun.

The weekend before, I was Sierra-at-Tahoe, which wasn't really icy at all because the runs I went on were in the sun starting quite early. Just snow the consistency of a slurpee.

My most common experience over the past 20 years is kinda hard and slippery in the morning, which I do not like, and fairly soft and wet in the afternoon, which I'm fine with. Mostly I go later in the season.
Your terminology is fine but I think you are referring to spring skiing especially because you're referring to the last two weeks. The rest of the season has not had any ice or slush as temps have been quite cold. I wanted to make it to Kirkwood but never did.... skied mostly Heavenly and Northstar with a back to back trip to Park City and then Taos.... All were cold winter conditions!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly