• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Should I get the Volkl 90eight?

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
Hi divas:-)
I am a new here but have been reading your posts for some time.
Right now I do consider to buy a new ski so do a lots of research:-) I also like Volkl 90eight w. There is also mint color (or kind of green) and brown for 2018 models.
I am a bit confused because most of the reviews are just great but there is a outdoorgearlab review and it does say 90eight (model for 2019, red and purple?) are "difficult to turn, hooks up, lifeless"...
I do not think there is a huge difference between 2018 and 2019 models..Most of the old reviews are positive: easy to turn and manoeuvre, fun and versatile..
My question is:
Do you find 90eight too stiff?
I am light- weight skier:-) (47kg.. that is 105lbs I think?). And I am 169cm tall. I do ski on skitouring skis (Dynafit and Fischer) now (also on groomers when I am with my little daughter). I do want to upgrade. Last year (at the end of the season) I rented DPS Nina, 99mm..and was very happy with it. It was spring and snow was very soft (and wet already).
I would like to get all mountain ski, wide around 100mm so can freeride most of the season. Snow is usually hard with some ice structure, mixed snow.. I love powder days as well (there are not so many here).
I want to get the skis with touring binding (Marker kingpin?) so can go to hit slopes and culoirs with no lifts at times.
I love skiing but I am not an agresive skier. I am cautious and responsible :-)

I have been considering Atomic Vantage 97c woman as well. They are new for this season, good reviews.. But I like Volkl 90eight mint color more:-)))

..sorry for mistakes, english is not my native language, I live in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can demo, it would be ideal to get on the ski and make sure it's right for you.

I am taller and heavier than you and don't find the ski too stiff at all. It feels very nimble but with excellent edge grip. I've enjoyed it on hardpack groomers and powder/crud. I think it would make a great touring ski; it's light but versatile. I find it easy to turn and have not experienced any "hooking up" on the 2017 models that I have. That complaint could be a function of the tune, as well.

Again, though, the ski has to work for you.

If you want to be able to tour but also use the ski for lift-served skiing, I would look at the Salomon/Atomic Shift binding, which is more of a traditional alpine binding in ski mode.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd definitely demo if you can. I'm also taller and heavier than you are - I'm 173cm tall and ski the 170. I find the ski nimble and responsive - I love it in most conditions, apart from more than a few inches of powder where I do find the lack of rockered tail tricky. I think that's me rather than the ski - I know a couple of people who have the 90eight as their fat powder ski.

Another ski to try is the Blizzard Sheeva 10 - I demo'd these the other day and they're so much fun. I tried the Sheeva in firm conditions and it was great - I think they'd work well in powder too.

Other than that - the Armada Trace 98 could be a good option. I know a smaller lady who skis these on all but the deepest days.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello and welcome @minqea ! Always nice to have more European divas on board :-) Where are you from?

I know it can be pretty hard over here, but could you maybe try a few skis in the width range you're looking for? I know we don't have a demo culture in Europe and rental shops can be a pain in the a**, but if you insist and clearly state the width category you want to ski they'll usually have some (mens) skis to try. I had the opportunity to test the 2017 Rossignol Sky 7 HD last year in Morillon, but had to be pretty insistent before the shop guy would even pull out something in that width range.

Haven't tried the Volkl 90eight, but they get good reviews. Here's a recent thread that discusses some models that might interest you.

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
Demo is a dream here :-( It is easier to try bmw x drive in ski resorts than skis..
I have been trying to find the right skis since beginning of the season :-) I was gonna buy Atomic backland 102 woman first. But for a couple of days I just do have a feeling maybe the mid fat skis would pleased me as well (for some time):-)
Finally it is about the time to take an action to buy "something" :-) (before the season is over)

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
If you can demo, it would be ideal to get on the ski and make sure it's right for you.

If you want to be able to tour but also use the ski for lift-served skiing, I would look at the Salomon/Atomic Shift binding, which is more of a traditional alpine binding in ski mode.

I did look at Salomon/Atomic Shift binding too but skier´s recommended weight is from 66kg..
I do not get here even with boots and backpack..

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demo is a dream here :-( It is easier to try bmw x drive in ski resorts than skis..
I have been trying to find the right skis since beginning of the season :-) I was gonna buy Atomic backland 102 woman first. But for a couple of days I just do have a feeling maybe the mid fat skis would pleased me as well (for some time):-)
Finally it is about the time to take an action to buy "something" :-) (before the season is over)
Tell me about it :smile: Do you have another way of testing a few different pairs, ski's that friends own maybe? Even if they're nowhere near the model you're interested in buying, trying out different skis and getting a feel for what you like (or not), will definitely help. Look for patterns in the ski's that you try and like, e.g. stiff or surfy flex, turn radius, sidecut, rocker profile,...

I'll be skiing in Les Deux Alpes from Wednesday until Sunday. I'll bring my 2018 Volkl Aura's @163cm (100mm) and 2018 Line Pandora's @172cm(110mm), you're welcome to try both if you can make it there. The Aura's are stiff, full rocker and super stable. The Pandora's are described as a surfy ski with focus on powder and a more traditional rocker-camber-rocker profile. Two fairly different pairs, both all-mountain :tongue:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just wondered why you're not thinking of getting the DPS skis you tried? Would seem to be a good option for the type of skiing you want to do?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am light- weight skier:-) (47kg.. that is 105lbs I think?). And I am 169cm tall. I do ski on skitouring skis (Dynafit and Fischer) now (also on groomers when I am with my little daughter). I do want to upgrade. Last year (at the end of the season) I rented DPS Nina, 99mm..and was very happy with it. It was spring and snow was very soft (and wet already).
I would like to get all mountain ski, wide around 100mm so can freeride most of the season. Snow is usually hard with some ice structure, mixed snow.. I love powder days as well (there are not so many here).
I want to get the skis with touring binding (Marker kingpin?) so can go to hit slopes and culoirs with no lifts at times.
I love skiing but I am not an agresive skier. I am cautious and responsible :-)

I have been considering Atomic Vantage 97c woman as well.
Welcome! I'm also light weight, but shorter. I like the DPS Nina 99 as a powder ski, which I rent when I get lucky and catch a powder storm during late season trips to Alta.

I've demo'd the Atomic Vantage 95, but it wasn't fun for me. However, I liked the Vantage 90W.

For what it's worth, other than the Volkl Yumi, I haven't liked any Volkl model that I've demo'd in the last 5-6 years. Presumably because their are too stiff for my body size/type. I'm a solid advanced skier at this stage and relatively strong.

Are Nordica skis available to you? In particular the Santa Ana 100.

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks to all! It a great to read your comments.
Going skiing now:-) We got some fresh snow today.. I will stop at freeride centre. They should have Volkl skis so I will have a look around.
I will write a bit later.
Have a great day!

mustski

Angel Diva
Hi divas:-)
Welcome to the forum! I love my 90eights precisely because they do well in a wide variety of conditions. I have the 2016 model but 3D Glass was added in 2018 so I don't know if that changed how it handles. I do not find the 2016 too stiff. I am 5'2" and weigh 135 lbs. What I love is that I can count on that ski in any conditions - even super hard, slick stuff. Also, are you sure you are thinking of the 90 eights as being green? I have seen the green on the 100eights.

I'd definitely demo if you can. I'm also taller and heavier than you are - I'm 173cm tall and ski the 170. I find the ski nimble and responsive - I love it in most conditions, apart from more than a few inches of powder where I do find the lack of rockered tail tricky. I think that's me rather than the ski - I know a couple of people who have the 90eight as their fat powder ski.
I have the 2016 model and the tail was rockered even then. I did have a problem with them hooking up in powder with the manufacturer tune. I had the shop detune the tails and that went away completely.

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome to the forum! I love my 90eights precisely because they do well in a wide variety of conditions. I have the 2016 model but 3D Glass was added in 2018 so I don't know if that changed how it handles. I do not find the 2016 too stiff. I am 5'2" and weigh 135 lbs. What I love is that I can count on that ski in any conditions - even super hard, slick stuff. Also, are you sure you are thinking of the 90 eights as being green? I have seen the green on the 100eights.

thank you:-)
well, it is 90 eight w
you can see the color in here..
https://www.inthesnow.com/gear/volkl-90eight-w-2018-ski-review/
I call it mint: and brown:-) but do not know the official color:-)
model for 2019 is kind of red and purple..

anyway I have no news from our resort. They only have Volkl Yumi for me. Model Matra was not my size.
After working hard with my skis today I think I am going to get 90eight.

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
Tell me about it :smile:

I'll be skiing in Les Deux Alpes from Wednesday until Sunday. I'll bring my 2018 Volkl Aura's @163cm (100mm) and 2018 Line Pandora's @172cm(110mm), you're welcome to try both if you can make it there. The Aura's are stiff, full rocker and super stable. The Pandora's are described as a surfy ski with focus on powder and a more traditional rocker-camber-rocker profile. Two fairly different pairs, both all-mountain :tongue:
thanks a lot!! Have a great skiing and good weather!:clap:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@mustski - I guess compared to the Rossi S7 and the JJ it doesn't feel like much rocker but you're right. They're my skinny skis, so I rarely use them in powder - tend to get the fat skis out at the slightest hint of fresh snow. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Do you find 90eight too stiff?
For what it's worth, other than the Volkl Yumi, I haven't liked any Volkl model that I've demo'd in the last 5-6 years. Presumably because they are too stiff for my body size/type. I'm a solid advanced skier at this stage and relatively strong.
For what it's worth, I can now answer the question for myself at least. My experience may or may not apply to other petite skiers.

Today I demo'd the 90Eight @163 for a couple runs. That may be a little long, but I like other skis that are 98-99 underfoot at 159-162cm. I could make the 90Eight turn but it required work and constant concentration. In contrast, I really had fun on the new Head Kore @161, 99 underfoot, and the Nordic Santa Ana 88 @158. I checked out the skis on the same groomers. Not really much ungroomed terrain that I was willing to deal with today (Sunapee, northeast U.S.).

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the Volkl 90 Eight last spring and was not impressed with the ski at all. For me it had no life. It turned ok and I didn't notice it hooking up. Conditions that day were groomed. No powder to try it in. I tried the Volkl Secret this year. Also, not impressed. They bounced me around too much in choppy snow.

The ski I did get to demo, bought and am having a blast on is the Black Crows Camox Birdies in a 156. They are a 97 waist, light, lively and fun. I like a ski I don't have to wonder what it's going to do while I'm skiing it. I find them similiar to my Rossi Saffron 7's without the wide, rocker tip. I'm 5'1" and 98 lbs.

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
Today I demo'd the 90Eight @163 for a couple runs. That may be a little long, but I like other skis that are 98-99 underfoot at 159-162cm. I could make the 90Eight turn but it required work and constant concentration. In contrast, I really had fun on the new.....

was it Volkl 90eight W?
that "W" is very important because the model should be different compared to 90eight without "W"

marzNC

Angel Diva
was it Volkl 90eight W?
that "W" is very important because the model should be different compared to 90eight without "W"
Yes, it was the 90eight W. Red tips and deep purple, so the 2019 model. The demo day was only for women, 100+ registered although not all the women who attended were checking out demo skis. There was also an opportunity for a 90-min group clinic for USD$30.

Remember that I don't like Volkl skis in general, probably because they are too stiff for me (5'0", 112 lbs.) The brands I've demo'd and liked in the last 5-10 years are Rossignol, Dynastar, Blizzard, Head, Nordic, K2, and Atomic (Vantage line). Plus DPS for powder skiing in the Rockies. Also like Stöckli and bought the Stomrider 85 @159 two years ago after demo'ing for a couple days at Taos.

minqea

Certified Ski Diva
Yes, it was the 90eight W. Red tips and deep purple, so the 2019 model. The demo day was only for women, 100+ registered although not all the women who attended were checking out demo skis. There was also an opportunity for a 90-min group clinic for USD$30.

Remember that I don't like Volkl skis in general, probably because they are too stiff for me (5'0", 112 lbs.) The brands I've demo'd and liked in the last 5-10 years are Rossignol, Dynastar, Blizzard, Head, Nordic, K2, and Atomic (Vantage line). Plus DPS for powder skiing in the Rockies. Also like Stöckli and bought the Stomrider 85 @159 two years ago after demo'ing for a couple days at Taos.

Hmm..
The model I consider is model 2018 (mint?) but I think it is the same as model for 2019. the only difference is color probably. (you are so lucky you can demo...)
I am a bit taller then you (5'6 or 5'7..as far as conversion:-) but lightweight. I did tell about my weight to a shop assistant and was told it should be OK..not stiff..(over the emai because the store is not in this area..)
well, another option I have is model Atomic Vantage 97 C woman, berry color:-) it is carbon version not titanal, new model for this year. . sounds good to me.

anyway I still am not sure about the width of binding brakes. I think I will write a new thread..

and thanks a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly