• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Short / Wide Backcountry skis

hills

Certified Ski Diva
@hills are you going skiing this ski on the resort or just BC? and what bindings would you be putting on it?

FWIW Just looking around in the 150s b/c Im avoiding working on other things....

Icelantic skis which smallest length is 155.... but they have a lot of tip and tail rocker https://www.icelanticskis.com/pages/22-23-backcountry-collection-womens but you may be able to find the Alpine versions to demo more easily ..... paging @Analisa

Atomic Backland comes in a 156 https://www.atomic.com/en-us/shop/product/backland-98-w-aa0029504.html#color=31385

https://www.kaestle.com/en/alpine/skis/show/tx93-w/ 154

And this https://www.evo.com/skis/dps-founda...97/dps-foundation-99-grom-skis-kids-2023-.jpg Not suggesting that KIDS skis have the same core/ build as adult skis but this was interesting as it states that it has "Foundation Core – Aspen core with Unidirectional Carbon stringers" - not sure how many kids skis have carbon stringers? would be interesting to know how they ski

https://www.momentskis.com/collections/22-23/products/sierra - fun!!!! comes in a 152 skis short
https://www.powder7.com/Moment-Sierra-Skis-152cm-New-Flat-2022/for-sale if you like astronauts

When DD was your size she had the Shiro JR as her powder ski. 100 under foot in a 153. This is the current version.... https://www.voelkl.com/en-us/products/skis/freeride/revolt-100-jr/?season=196 might be heavy for touring but its a ski that comes in a longer turn radius than some of the others....

Other kids powder skis Blizzard Cochise, Line Sir Francis Bacon and some of the Armada skis...
This is so great! Thank you so much for doing this work for me ; Digging in now...

hills

Certified Ski Diva
Moment Sierra @152 is definitely worth a shot, though it's only 91mm underfoot at that length. I loved demoing the Hot Mess (narrower) a couple years back, and the Sierra is on my future demo radar as a wider ski.

Personally, at 4'10" with narrow hips, anything >153cm starts becoming a kick-turn & uphill-skating issue, due to the amount of tail, even if I can "handle" longer skis. Mount point does play a role in this.
What do you ski on @shadoj ?

shadoj

Angel Diva
What do you ski on @shadoj ?
@hills -- I'm in the midwest; 152cm Black Pearl 82s (82mm under foot) are my current daily driver. I Mountain Host, which means I get to skate around and fix fences and carry equipment and other fun stuff like that. I have loose hip joints, so don't enjoy anything too heavy hanging on my feet!

If I lived out where you do (softer snow and bigger runs), I'd likely enjoy something upper-80s to low/mid-90s for softer powder/chop conditions, and I doubt I'd "need" wider. Need to get out west and do some demos!

I *really* want to gather all the small people in one place and have the ski manufacturers bring us their short sticks to compare!

hills

Certified Ski Diva
@hills -- I'm in the midwest; 152cm Black Pearl 82s (82mm under foot) are my current daily driver. I Mountain Host, which means I get to skate around and fix fences and carry equipment and other fun stuff like that. I have loose hip joints, so don't enjoy anything too heavy hanging on my feet!

If I lived out where you do (softer snow and bigger runs), I'd likely enjoy something upper-80s to low/mid-90s for softer powder/chop conditions, and I doubt I'd "need" wider. Need to get out west and do some demos!

I *really* want to gather all the small people in one place and have the ski manufacturers bring us their short sticks to compare!
Ha! I have the Black Pearls as well but just decided to sell them b/c I actually like skiing my Sheeva 9s better in bounds. I'd help organize the small people summit if you're at all serious... I know a lot of people in the outdoor industry plus a lot are local to UT. Let me know!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Ha! I have the Black Pearls as well but just decided to sell them b/c I actually like skiing my Sheeva 9s better in bounds. I'd help organize the small people summit if you're at all serious... I know a lot of people in the outdoor industry plus a lot are local to UT. Let me know!
I'm actually half-serious, though I don't know how I'd pull it together without help! And Utah seems like a great place for a meetup; been many years since I've skied out there. There are a LOT of tiny Divas on the forum, with a high percentage of advanced/expert-level skiers... would be so fun!

hills

Certified Ski Diva

hills

Certified Ski Diva
I'm actually half-serious, though I don't know how I'd pull it together without help! And Utah seems like a great place for a meetup; been many years since I've skied out there. There are a LOT of tiny Divas on the forum, with a high percentage of advanced/expert-level skiers... would be so fun!
@shadoj I don't know if this is allowed but let me know if you want to talk offline about this. I would love to help plan!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This would be the dream! It's a real pain finding appropriately sized skis to try at times. I was grateful Killington had as many short skis as they did.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the tags! I would love to hear a little more about what you’re skiing, what you like, and your height info.

For most powder skis, you should be skiing a longer ski than your all-mountains. The “effective edge” or the portion of the overall ski that’s in contact with the ground is what you’re flexing into to steer and ski, which dictates how long the ski feels. The rocker in the tips and / or tails factors into the number on the topsheet, but it serves a different purpose (planing in soft snow).

I’ll hold off on too many recs until I’ve got more info, but I’ll say that the DPS Pagoda Tour 100 is where my mind goes now. They sent me a pair to test and review and their shape is very powder-friendly, even if the waist isn’t super fat. And there’s a lot of rocker in the tips that make it ski short. (I tested a 171 and it felt just a cm or two shorter than my personal Backland 98 in a 164). Definitely more rocker on it than the Sheeva 9. I’ll link my review below (you’ll see that one of the callouts is that it’s one of few options that serves the sub-5’ crowd well for soft snow)

hills

Certified Ski Diva
Than
Thanks for the tags! I would love to hear a little more about what you’re skiing, what you like, and your height info.

For most powder skis, you should be skiing a longer ski than your all-mountains. The “effective edge” or the portion of the overall ski that’s in contact with the ground is what you’re flexing into to steer and ski, which dictates how long the ski feels. The rocker in the tips and / or tails factors into the number on the topsheet, but it serves a different purpose (planing in soft snow).

I’ll hold off on too many recs until I’ve got more info, but I’ll say that the DPS Pagoda Tour 100 is where my mind goes now. They sent me a pair to test and review and their shape is very powder-friendly, even if the waist isn’t super fat. And there’s a lot of rocker in the tips that make it ski short. (I tested a 171 and it felt just a cm or two shorter than my personal Backland 98 in a 164). Definitely more rocker on it than the Sheeva 9. I’ll link my review below (you’ll see that one of the callouts is that it’s one of few options that serves the sub-5’ crowd well for soft snow)

Thanks so much @Analisa this was a great review. I have now spoken to enough people who rave about the DPS Pagoda Tour 100 RP that I'm pretty sure this is the ski I'm going to get. I'm just desperately trying to find a demo in my size. But I'm not having any luck. I may just need to take the leap of faith.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sign me up! I have walked around a backcountry demo day asking every rep to give me their shortest ski. The reps get it (or at least said they did), but they didn't bring their shorter skis. The shortest ski I found all day was either a Sego or DPS in ~162, which I am not going to take into the backcountry.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@hills If it’s a boost of confidence, I felt like the DPS Pagoda / Pagoda Tour have a lot in common with the Sheeva 10 I’ve spent time on. Both very easy to turn, reward good technique, but will still acquiesce if you shift into the backseat or a cautious stance to ensure you take any falls with your hips & rear.

I have a friend who went a little too hard too soon on longer / burlier touring skis, so I helped her trade into the Pagoda 112. When she really liked those, I advised her to look at the Sheeva 10 for a gear subsidy that she gets through work. She’s pretty much skiing those two skis exclusively despite having a pretty sizable quiver. They both have a pretty high top end, but are intuitive, easy, and forgiving when you need it.

hills

Certified Ski Diva
@hills If it’s a boost of confidence, I felt like the DPS Pagoda / Pagoda Tour have a lot in common with the Sheeva 10 I’ve spent time on. Both very easy to turn, reward good technique, but will still acquiesce if you shift into the backseat or a cautious stance to ensure you take any falls with your hips & rear.

I have a friend who went a little too hard too soon on longer / burlier touring skis, so I helped her trade into the Pagoda 112. When she really liked those, I advised her to look at the Sheeva 10 for a gear subsidy that she gets through work. She’s pretty much skiing those two skis exclusively despite having a pretty sizable quiver. They both have a pretty high top end, but are intuitive, easy, and forgiving when you need it.
yes, that is super reassuring. I definitely resonated with that point in your review b/c I can tend to shift into the backseat. But, I am a pretty conservative skier in the backcountry, so also the slower speeds / lower angle you referenced will also work to my favor with that ski.

SamSoft

Diva in Training
Happy Monday ladies! I'm on the hunt for short/wide skis for this coming season and I came across this post which has been incredibly helpful - thank you!

I'm taking a touring trip to Kyrgyzstan in January and I have been advised due to the expected conditions to have skis that are 112mm + (but ideally 115mm+) underfoot... at 157.5cm & 119lb I'm not finding many options, and I'd love to check with y'all whether I'm missing any options out there...

For background I live in the Pyrenees, where an abundance of powder is not a regular occurrence, so my regular setup for backcountry us Blizzard Zero G - 85mm waist | 157cm, and for the powder days, I ride Head Kore 99 W - 95mm waist |162cm. I love being out for long days touring (up to 20km, 2000m climbing), so weight is a factor.

I'm heading out to the US for work in early October and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pick up some skis whilst I'm there (I can't buy anything more than 90mm touring skis here in Andorra!)... but given the time of year, clearly I'm not going to be able to demo anything but trying to do as much research as I can beforehand.

After going through all the sites yesterday, I'm not really seeing any options available to me other than DPS Pagoda Tour 112 or Kaizen 112 - both 158cm. Anyone know of anything else (ideally lower pricepoint!) I can also be looking at? Tagging @Analisa

Also, @hills did you go with the Pagoda Tour in the end, if so how do you like them?

And finally, if a shorty meetup is being planned for 2024, I'd defo look at trying to get out to it!!

Thanks so much in advance for any advice anyone has, and wishing you all a fab start to the week!

hills

Certified Ski Diva
Happy Monday ladies! I'm on the hunt for short/wide skis for this coming season and I came across this post which has been incredibly helpful - thank you!

I'm taking a touring trip to Kyrgyzstan in January and I have been advised due to the expected conditions to have skis that are 112mm + (but ideally 115mm+) underfoot... at 157.5cm & 119lb I'm not finding many options, and I'd love to check with y'all whether I'm missing any options out there...

For background I live in the Pyrenees, where an abundance of powder is not a regular occurrence, so my regular setup for backcountry us Blizzard Zero G - 85mm waist | 157cm, and for the powder days, I ride Head Kore 99 W - 95mm waist |162cm. I love being out for long days touring (up to 20km, 2000m climbing), so weight is a factor.

I'm heading out to the US for work in early October and I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pick up some skis whilst I'm there (I can't buy anything more than 90mm touring skis here in Andorra!)... but given the time of year, clearly I'm not going to be able to demo anything but trying to do as much research as I can beforehand.

After going through all the sites yesterday, I'm not really seeing any options available to me other than DPS Pagoda Tour 112 or Kaizen 112 - both 158cm. Anyone know of anything else (ideally lower pricepoint!) I can also be looking at? Tagging @Analisa

Also, @hills did you go with the Pagoda Tour in the end, if so how do you like them?

And finally, if a shorty meetup is being planned for 2024, I'd defo look at trying to get out to it!!

Thanks so much in advance for any advice anyone has, and wishing you all a fab start to the week!
@SamSoft I did get them! I only skied on them a handful of times b/c I got them at the end of the season. I definitely noticed the longer length (in a bad way) but on the one true powder day that I skied on them they were so much fun!

SamSoft

Diva in Training
@SamSoft I did get them! I only skied on them a handful of times b/c I got them at the end of the season. I definitely noticed the longer length (in a bad way) but on the one true powder day that I skied on them they were so much fun!
That’s great to hear how much fun they were, I hope you get used to the length in no time at the start of this coming season

Kiosk

Diva in Training
I am 5’1” 95 lbs
i have stochlii mx 76, 148 for front side, and liberty evolve, 90,151, most other days and if it is a real pow day, over 2 ft, liberty genesis 96, 160, for crud i have rossignol, temptations, 84, 148, not as stiff as atomic
I like skis that are 10-30 mm less wide than my husband who is 6 ft, 170
i set my bindings forward 0-3 mm depending on the ski

i have not skied dps or 4front, but i like some torsional stability in bigger skis, because there is always that cat tract, some tempting moguls, or blue groomer back to the lift and a heavy fat ski is a lot of work to rotate or get any edge, not being tom geille or robin barnes!!
i have spent a lot of $, demo days, and many yrs try to find what works for my size, basically 96 waist is my limit and i prefer 90.
for one ski, if you ski utah, i would try the liberty evolve 84 or 90, but since you are new to skiing an 84, but you might try Solomon, i am not sure what's new with them, but i used to ski their geisha, 92,150, which was an amazing ski, full rocker, although not by nordica definition, lol! I used to like line, but after company sold it changed.
i think intermediate skiers on skis over 90 suffer, because it is more difficult to improve with wider waist skiis, unless you want to point them down, incline and go, and nothing wrong with that, fun is fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna