• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Short / Wide Backcountry skis

hills

Certified Ski Diva
Hi. I want to get short (< 151 cm) / wide (95-100mm) backcountry skis but haven't been able to find anything close except for the Nordica Santa Anna Unlimited (151cm) and the DPS Pagoda Tour 100 RP (153cm). I currently ski the Blizzard Sheeva 9 in a 148cm and love them, but want something lighter and better for powder. Does anyone have experience with those two skis? Or suggestions for another ski I may not have come across in my research? I am an intermediate resort skier and a beginner powder skier. Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Haven't been on the DPS Pagoda Tour 100 RP, but in general I really like DPS skis. I'm petite and haven't been skiing deep powder confidently for that long. When I used to rent at Alta was the DPS Nina 99 @158cm. What I bought from a Diva a few years ago is the DPS Zelda @158. Been very happy with them.

Note that I don't do backcountry touring. I also learned to ski on straight skis over my head so longer skis are fine. Now that I've become a solid advanced skier with the help of lessons, my all-mountain skis are 85 underfoot and 159cm. I've skied them in knee deep fluffy powder with no problem, although it takes more concentration than with wider skis. When I started renting demo skis for powder days at Alta, it was hard to find any wider skis that were under 160cm. DPS is always at the Alta Demo Day in Alta, so I've had a chance to try several different models in the last decade.

hills

Certified Ski Diva
Haven't been on the DPS Pagoda Tour 100 RP, but in general I really like DPS skis. I'm petite and haven't been skiing deep powder confidently for that long. When I used to rent at Alta was the DPS Nina 99 @158cm. What I bought from a Diva a few years ago is the DPS Zelda @158. Been very happy with them.

Note that I don't do backcountry touring. I also learned to ski on straight skis over my head so longer skis are fine. Now that I've become a solid advanced skier with the help of lessons, my all-mountain skis are 85 underfoot and 159cm. I've skied them in knee deep fluffy powder with no problem, although it takes more concentration than with wider skis. When I started renting demo skis for powder days at Alta, it was hard to find any wider skis that were under 160cm. DPS is always at the Alta Demo Day in Alta, so I've had a chance to try several different models in the last decade.
Thanks so much! This is helpful. I actually called DPS and sadlly they don't have my size in their demo fleet this year (nor does anyone else apparently). I think I'm going to start a bike / ski brand for petite woman ; )

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks so much! This is helpful. I actually called DPS and sadlly they don't have my size in their demo fleet this year (nor does anyone else apparently). I think I'm going to start a bike / ski brand for petite woman ; )
It's very rare for any brand to bring their shortest lengths to a demo day. DPS does at Alta because they are making them in SLC.

Paging @Pequenita .

How many years have you been skiing?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a little stumped because there aren't a ton of skis that wide and also that length (alternatively, maybe I am just not familiar with those skis). Are you under 100lbs, which is sort of the only type of person I think a <151cm, 95 to 100mm waist ski would be a powder ski for? What about a Volkl Blaze 94W? It comes in 150. Sego Lupines also go short and wide-ish (but I'm not sure how much they weigh), but unless you live around Victor ID, it will be tough to demo them, and you'd have to order them next fall. Maybe @Analisa has some ideas...

shadoj

Angel Diva
I have not skied any yet myself, but Liberty makes a couple models in your desired waist width range at 151cm. I have friends who ski on narrower models and like them a lot.

hills

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a little stumped because there aren't a ton of skis that wide and also that length (alternatively, maybe I am just not familiar with those skis). Are you under 100lbs, which is sort of the only type of person I think a <151cm, 95 to 100mm waist ski would be a powder ski for? What about a Volkl Blaze 94W? It comes in 150. Sego Lupines also go short and wide-ish (but I'm not sure how much they weigh), but unless you live around Victor ID, it will be tough to demo them, and you'd have to order them next fall. Maybe @Analisa has some ideas...
Thanks! I am equally stumped. Yes, I am very petite - 4'10" and 95 lbs. Thanks for the recos. I will check them out.

hills

Certified Ski Diva
I have not skied any yet myself, but Liberty makes a couple models in your desired waist width range at 151cm. I have friends who ski on narrower models and like them a lot.
Cool. I'll check them out. Thanks!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Also, welcome to the forum! As another short person (4'10"!), I feel your pain when it comes to finding good equipment. Things are *slowly* changing; another voice is appreciated. Someday we'll have more choices! :smile:

hills

Certified Ski Diva
Also, welcome to the forum! As another short person (4'10"!), I feel your pain when it comes to finding good equipment. Things are *slowly* changing; another voice is appreciated. Someday we'll have more choices! :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
not many (< 3 years), but because I now live in Park City I ski a fair amount.
Ah, you could keep an eye out for the announcement of the date for the Alta Demo Day in early April. It's normally the first Saturday. The webpage for it usually doesn't get created until some time in March. Hard to say if it will be April 1 or April 8.

The Alta Demo Day is free. Pays to arrive pretty early to get registered and look over the brand tents. Most of the reps start setting up at 8:00 even though the event doesn't start until 9:00.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was gonna rec checking out the Faction Agent 2.0X but shortest it comes in is 155. I have the 1.0X in 154 and tbh they don't ski any longer than my 150 SLs b/c of how turny they are and the tail/tip rocker, but that may be beyond your comfort zone in length. 2.0X is 96 at the waist.

I'm 5'1" and 95 lbs.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@hills are you going skiing this ski on the resort or just BC? and what bindings would you be putting on it?

FWIW Just looking around in the 150s b/c Im avoiding working on other things....

Icelantic skis which smallest length is 155.... but they have a lot of tip and tail rocker https://www.icelanticskis.com/pages/22-23-backcountry-collection-womens but you may be able to find the Alpine versions to demo more easily ..... paging @Analisa

Atomic Backland comes in a 156 https://www.atomic.com/en-us/shop/product/backland-98-w-aa0029504.html#color=31385

https://www.kaestle.com/en/alpine/skis/show/tx93-w/ 154

And this https://www.evo.com/skis/dps-founda...97/dps-foundation-99-grom-skis-kids-2023-.jpg Not suggesting that KIDS skis have the same core/ build as adult skis but this was interesting as it states that it has "Foundation Core – Aspen core with Unidirectional Carbon stringers" - not sure how many kids skis have carbon stringers? would be interesting to know how they ski

https://www.momentskis.com/collections/22-23/products/sierra - fun!!!! comes in a 152 skis short
https://www.powder7.com/Moment-Sierra-Skis-152cm-New-Flat-2022/for-sale if you like astronauts

When DD was your size she had the Shiro JR as her powder ski. 100 under foot in a 153. This is the current version.... https://www.voelkl.com/en-us/products/skis/freeride/revolt-100-jr/?season=196 might be heavy for touring but its a ski that comes in a longer turn radius than some of the others....

Other kids powder skis Blizzard Cochise, Line Sir Francis Bacon and some of the Armada skis...

shadoj

Angel Diva
Moment Sierra @152 is definitely worth a shot, though it's only 91mm underfoot at that length. I loved demoing the Hot Mess (narrower) a couple years back, and the Sierra is on my future demo radar as a wider ski.

Personally, at 4'10" with narrow hips, anything >153cm starts becoming a kick-turn & uphill-skating issue, due to the amount of tail, even if I can "handle" longer skis. Mount point does play a role in this.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Moment Sierra @152 is definitely worth a shot, though it's only 91mm underfoot at that length. I loved demoing the Hot Mess (narrower) a couple years back, and the Sierra is on my future demo radar as a wider ski.

Personally, at 4'10" with narrow hips, anything >153cm starts becoming a kick-turn & uphill-skating issue, due to the amount of tail, even if I can "handle" longer skis. Mount point does play a role in this.
I also find I can't go too wide. Like not too far into the 90s or it messes with my stance, especially in bumps, b/c I feel like I can't get my feet narrow enough. Not sure if other small people run into this issue also?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm assuming if she's in Park City she's getting that "light fluffy snow" and this might be enough of a ski ....
but I hear you on the length for kick turns.... depending on how long your legs are as well.....

shadoj

Angel Diva
I'm assuming if she's in Park City she's getting that "light fluffy snow" and this might be enough of a ski ....
but I hear you on the length for kick turns.... depending on how long your legs are as well.....
Yes, with her light weight, a narrower ski with good shovel design shouldn't have an issue in those conditions. We're both already skiing skis longer than our height. I'm amazed at how much snow my 82mm-waist skis can handle!

@tinymoose - I have yet to demo anything in the upper 90's, but narrowing my stance in a comfortable, athletic way doesn't leave much room between wide shovels in case of mild deflection, so there's that, too.

lisaski

Certified Ski Diva
Hi. I want to get short (< 151 cm) / wide (95-100mm) backcountry skis but haven't been able to find anything close except for the Nordica Santa Anna Unlimited (151cm) and the DPS Pagoda Tour 100 RP (153cm). I currently ski the Blizzard Sheeva 9 in a 148cm and love them, but want something lighter and better for powder. Does anyone have experience with those two skis? Or suggestions for another ski I may not have come across in my research? I am an intermediate resort skier and a beginner powder skier. Thanks!
I'm 5'5" and ski a 169 length with 107 mm underfoot for my newest setup. I wouldn't worry about going so short on skis in the backcountry. Powder turns are more fun if they are long radius.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna