• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Short Skis vs. Long Ski

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm trying to figure out if I want shorter skis in addition to my longer skis.

I'm 5'4" and 130 pounds. I'm intermediate/advanced, as I don't really ski double blacks right now (not enough days in to be comfortable).

I have 163 length skis for blue/black runs and for skiing fast, but I'm thinking I may need shorter skis as well since I'm a ski instructor and spend a lot of time on green runs. My longer skis don't seem to maneuver on the beginner runs as easily as my shorter skis do. However, I recently read that with the newer skis I should be in 163 length skis, since skis have a lot of rocker in them now.

Or perhaps I just need frontside skis?

I'm wondering what other ski instructors use for the green runs (and for clinics where we're expected to ski well), and also what others think of short vs long skis!

mustski

Angel Diva
I’m not an instructor but my stats are similar- 5’2 and 130. I normally ski a 163-165, but I prefer a shorter ski for frontside skiing and a ski with a smaller turn radius. It’s just easier to maneuver. New skis are really good at holding stability at speed so one size down doesn’t make a difference on piste. I’ve been using some 157s and loving them.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
When I taught beginner lessons, always kids/never adults [find them scary], I used various light weight 155 to 160ish twin tips so I could be really nimble and move to switch quickly or skate uphill for a "rescue" if the kid had issues getting up. I'm 5'2" and 132. For non-green, I had versatile daily drivers that could do anything and they'd be around 163 and 72 to 76 underfoot.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I meant to add this--does your resort allow you to grab a rental pair for beginner lessons? Some like that option and it saves you $$$$$.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I taught beginner lessons, always kids/never adults [find them scary], I used various light weight 155 to 160ish twin tips so I could be really nimble and move to switch quickly or skate uphill for a "rescue" if the kid had issues getting up. I'm 5'2" and 132. For non-green, I had versatile daily drivers that could do anything and they'd be around 163 and 72 to 76 underfoot.

That's what I'm thinking! That way I ski backwards and maneuver more quickly :-)

Jilly

Staff member
If you're only teaching kids, then pick up a cheap pair of twin tips. But buy yourself a good pair of skis that you can use for clinics etc.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m not an instructor but my stats are similar- 5’2 and 130. I normally ski a 163-165, but I prefer a shorter ski for frontside skiing and a ski with a smaller turn radius. It’s just easier to maneuver. New skis are really good at holding stability at speed so one size down doesn’t make a difference on piste. I’ve been using some 157s and loving them.

Thanks! That makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965