• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Shopping for New Frontside Carver

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've finally outgrown my current setup and need to start looking for new skis. I've been skiing on Head PureJoys in a 153 length for the last 4 years. I am 5'7" and 127 lbs and ski the east only (well, western NY). I spoke to my instructor about this on Wednesday. He suggested going to something in the ~160ish length with a tighter turn radius (I think he said 14 m or less). I would call myself a cautious intermediate but I tend to underestimate my abilities. I'm looking for a narrow carver that helps me develop good turn/carving habits but doesn't punish me if I revert to the backseat. Because I don't want to be thrown around for lack of skill, I'm not really interested in Volkl or Atomic.

I was thinking Nordica Astral 78 or Blizzard Alight. My instructor suggested the Nordica Sentra 6 or even SL7. His concern was that I would quickly outgrow my choices and the 6 or SL7 would be something I could grow into.

I'd love to demo but my local shop only carries the BP 82 as the narrowest waisted women's ski. I'm checking one other local place and will be in Holiday Valley in March so may have some other options to test at that time.

Divas, can you think of any other skis I should have on my radar?

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you considered the Head Absolut Joy? They are 79mm waist width with a 13.5-meter turn radius at the 163cm length.

I started skiing again last year on rentals for the season. I knew I wanted to buy my own skis, and that something like the Pure Joy would be too soft/beginner for me. I demoed about 12-13 skis at the end of last season. Personally, I found skis in the mid-80s waist width a little too difficult for me to turn at this point in my abilities.

I decided on the Absolut Joys and I love them! They are a great ski for me to improve on - not too soft but also not too stiff for a cautious intermediate skier. I would describe my ski style literally exactly as you've described yours and I also ski in the East exclusively (so far!).

I also enjoyed the Head Super Joys, which are a stiffer ski with 74mm waist width, but I felt like they were a bit "much" for my skill level. They were awesome for carving in icy conditions but I wanted to go with something a bit more forgiving at this point.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you considered the Head Absolut Joy? They are 79mm waist width with a 13.5-meter turn radius at the 163cm length.

I started skiing again last year on rentals for the season. I knew I wanted to buy my own skis, and that something like the Pure Joy would be too soft/beginner for me. I demoed about 12-13 skis at the end of last season. Personally, I found skis in the mid-80s waist width a little too difficult for me to turn at this point in my abilities.

I decided on the Absolut Joys and I love them! They are a great ski for me to improve on - not too soft but also not too stiff for a cautious intermediate skier. I would describe my ski style literally exactly as you've described yours and I also ski in the East exclusively (so far!).

I also enjoyed the Head Super Joys, which are a stiffer ski with 74mm waist width, but I felt like they were a bit "much" for my skill level. They were awesome for carving in icy conditions but I wanted to go with something a bit more forgiving at this point.
I demoed the AJs last season and did like them. I hear what you're saying about the Super Joys. I think I read a diva here saying they're a lot of ski. I'm also leaning away from Head skis just because I haven't had the best experience with mine.
I guess I'm a little conflicted at this point...I doubt I'll be able to demo a serious carver and feel like it will be a big leap of faith. OTOH I'm not sure I want to buy a pair of skis that I'll outgrow in a year.
Here's what I'm currently thinking:
Liberty V76W
Nordica Astral 78
Blizzard Alight (the more advanced sticks seem to run a little wider, like 8.0 CA)
Nordica Sentra S6 or SL7

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The Nordica Astral 78 has a composite core where the Astral 84 has a Balsa. They both have the metal hex-bridge. I had an absolute blast demoing the Astral 84 but if progression from intermediate is your thing the Astral 78 may not have enough chops.

The Liberty 76W - I have not been on this yet but I soooo want to as I also want a sub 80 frontside ski. It does have a sheet of metal but I believe @nopoleskier said it had a huge sweet spot. Perhaps she will jump on with her thoughts on suitability for you.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Nordica Astral 78 has a composite core where the Astral 84 has a Balsa. They both have the metal hex-bridge. I had an absolute blast demoing the Astral 84 but if progression from intermediate is your thing the Astral 78 may not have enough chops.

The Liberty 76W - I have not been on this yet but I soooo want to as I also want a sub 80 frontside ski. It does have a sheet of metal but I believe @nopoleskier said it had a huge sweet spot. Perhaps she will jump on with her thoughts on suitability for you.
Good point about the Astral, thank you!
The Liberty sounds like a fun ski from reviews. I also like the top sheet :wink:

Amended List:
Liberty V76W
Blizzard Alight
Nordica Sentra S6 or SL7

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, The Blizzard Alight is a very fun ski. It is a 'charger", loves to be on edge, I found it easy to ski but I have been skiing forever and am ex racer.

The Liberty 76W is just a fun, easy going ski, can stomp on it and it will 'GO" or sit back and relax

If you can wait to buy.. My home Mt Royal Mt in Caroga lake has an awesome demo day Thurs of President week, The liberty's won't be there but I do have demo bindings on mine they are set at for 285BSL. but could be adjusted

Here's more about the demo day: 83208116_10163001834440716_711037754317733888_o.jpg

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, The Blizzard Alight is a very fun ski. It is a 'charger", loves to be on edge, I found it easy to ski but I have been skiing forever and am ex racer.

The Liberty 76W is just a fun, easy going ski, can stomp on it and it will 'GO" or sit back and relax

If you can wait to buy.. My home Mt Royal Mt in Caroga lake has an awesome demo day Thurs of President week, The liberty's won't be there but I do have demo bindings on mine they are set at for 285BSL. but could be adjusted

Here's more about the demo day: View attachment 11994
Thank you for the input. Good to know that I'm on the right track. My friend has the Blizzard Alights (7.7 I think) and she loves them. Just lights up about how much fun they are.

I'll keep the demo day in mind. If I can make that happen in my schedule, it is very tempting.

I am definitely not as experienced as you but aspire to be a racer or at least run some gates with my kids.

If I can make it to the demo day, I'll pm you. And thank you kindly for offering a demo on your own setup :smile:

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the BP 82 today, didn't fall in love with it but liked it a lot more than the noodles I'm on right now. I could go a lot faster on these skis because I felt much more stable. I also skied longer and harder than normal and wasn't as tired. I was surprised because these are wider than the 74s I'm on but they were easier to ski and I trusted them more.

The local shop has the mens Liberty 76 and I might demo that one next if they have it in a 165. They don't have the women's to demo. The employees at the local shop said there have been about 5 women who have ordered the Liberty this year and LOVE them. Still keeping @nopoleskier offer in mind, it's not looking like it can happen with my schedule next week.

My instructor really likes the Nordica SL7 but I can't find it anywhere. He said he knows someone that might want to unload theirs so that's still an option.

I might keep a more open mind about going a little wider too since these skis didn't bother my knees like I thought they would (Astral 84?). A lot to think about but definitely confirmed that my current skis are holding me back.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
If you’re considering slightly wider, I love my Head Total Joys. I am a second year skier- intermediate working hard to get to an advanced level. 5’2” and 123 lbs. In my experience, they have performed great in all sorts of different front side conditions- thick fresh snow, old granular, ice, hardpack, corduroy, mashed potatoes, etc. I now ski almost anything on the frontside (except glades) and would consider these a quiver killer. I really don’t crave a second pair of skis at all... except I do need a pair of rock skis because I love these so much I don’t want to damage them on thin cover!

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, I haven't tried the Total Joys (85 mm wide) but have read some rave reviews about them. I'd like to try them although I'm not sure they're available as a demo in the area.

The shop employee I spoke with yesterday did say there is a considerable difference in quality and construction going up the Head line from the Pure Joy.

It looks like I'll have a chance to try out the Nordica SL7s this weekend, at 69mm wide that'll be the narrowest I've ever been on. I'll report back on how that goes...

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can you get on any Atomics? The Vantage series are nice all mountain skis and the cloud series are awesome carvers. The Cloud 12 is a race ski. the lower the # the easier the ski skis.

Did you get on the Alights from Blizzard? I found them to be great carvers and fun skis

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, haven't seen Atomics on the demo list locally. I believe it's mostly Blizzards, Volks and the Pure Joy as far as my local shop. I've seen some good deals on Atomics online but initially ruled them out since my instructor said I should stay away from Volkls and Atomics. I think this was because I revert to the backseat when I get nervous. Of course this was also a year ago and my skills have been progressing a lot since then.

I haven't tried the Alights but would like to! I have only heard good things about these skis. In fact my friend just raves about hers, I mean she really loves them!

Jilly

Staff member
Atomic cloud is changing slightly for next year. So there should be some good prices coming up.

MissySki

Angel Diva
The Astral’s are so much fun, and I think they’d make a great ski to improve on because they are so forgiving. From groomers to crud to bumps, I’ve had them out in everything the past couple of days and they are a blast!

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Astral’s are so much fun, and I think they’d make a great ski to improve on because they are so forgiving. From groomers to crud to bumps, I’ve had them out in everything the past couple of days and they are a blast!
Funny you should mention the Astrals because I'm now seriously considering a 80 something width ski! More below...
I tried the Nordica SL7 this Saturday in a 160. Conditions were cold! 8 degrees in the morning and warmed up to about 26 in the afternoon. Snow conditions were some of the best of the year, machine groomed/packed powder. The waist width on this ski is 69 mm. Only got to make a couple runs on it but definitely noticed this ski likes to turn and be on edge. I liked it but didn't fall in love. One thing I noticed was the tail would catch on me. I'm sure this is due to user error since I tend to skid the end of my turns instead of finishing them/following all the way through. Overall I think I need something more forgiving. My stance definitely narrowed on these skis and I know they would make me better but I don't want a ski that's constantly correcting me.

Since it turned out to be a free demo day at the mountain, I was also able to try the Elan Interra in a 158 cm. The waist width on this ski is 82mm (like the Black Pearl I tried ealier in the week). These also have a turn radius of 12m on the 158. Didn't fall in love with these. I took them on a couple blues and they got the job done but still felt like an attachment to my feet rather than an extension of my body. They are directional skis which for some reason I just don't love the idea of. I'd rather be able to switch my skis so they wear more evenly. These skis felt heavy and wide.

These demos aside, I also skied my Head Pure Joys and just hated them on anything more demanding than a green or easy blue. I felt like I had to throw them around turns to support me on anything steep. I think these skis have given me all the life they have and it's time to move on sooner rather than later.

As luck would have it, another Ski Diva chimed in offering her very gently used Nordica S6 in a 162. For the price, I couldn't refuse and am looking forward to getting on them soon!

So, new problem/opportunity?? I'm now thinking of building a quiver and adding a 80 mm range ski for slushy days and using the narrower skis for lessons and icy, machine groomed/packed powder days. This also buys me some more time to demo.

I know I said I didn't love the Black Pearl 82 but in hindsight, man I had some fun on that ski. I think these skis are mounted a little more forward? Not sure but I felt very confident on them. Being such a cautious skier, this was a fun feeling to let them run but still felt very much in the driver's seat. It rewarded me for pushing them but didn't punish my mistakes.

I can try out the Astral 84 locally so that's definitely on my radar @MissySki . On paper they sound like everything I'm looking for. I still love the idea of a Liberty ski and will keep my eyes and ears open for any chance to get on one. However I'm not sure if the V82W would complement this quiver or be too much like the S6.

So the fun continues, I get to demo more and continue practicing on a better suited ski for me right now.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Took out my new (to me) Nordica S6 today. Wow, I wish I hadn't waited so long! On my last run the trail narrowed at the steepest point and a private lesson was happening below me. I waited for the student to turn skiers right and I took the left and straight lined past them under the lift.
I had to drive those skis hard (for me) and they only got better as I did. I loved the stable feeling and confidence they provided. :thumbsup:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna