• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shingrix vaccine

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
We plan to get our first Shingrix shot today or tomorrow. That means we can get the second shot in early November before ski season gets going.

I read and hear so much about adverse reactions. I hope that most people don't have a bad reaction and thus they don't post anything.

What's your experience? TIA.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had a strong reaction to Shot 1 for Shingrix. Arm was pretty sore for a couple days. That's unusual for me. Don't remember any other side effects though. Shot 2 wasn't an issue.

I had shingles in my mid-20s. Was quick to get the first vaccine when it became available. Also quick to get Shingrix even though I had to pay a premium at the time. My mother had shingles in her 70s and my husband had in his 50s. In all cases, the diagnosis happened fairly quickly. But even with treatment it was pretty painful and lasted a few weeks. I never want to risk getting shingles again.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so glad you asked this, because my doctor keeps telling me I need to get it, but I keep putting it off just because it's hard to clear time in case of reaction. Look forward to responses.

marzNC

Angel Diva
From the "package insert" for Shingrix. Percentages for adverse effects are required in the fine print for any approved medication. The safety data was based on all subjects who received at least one dose in any clinical trial, for a total of about 17,000 people who were all over 50. Safety data was presented overall and for 50-59, 60-69, 70+. Seems to be common for vaccines that older people have less of a response so have a lower incidence of adverse events.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 6.04.45 PM.png

Last edited:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I've known a couple of women who got shingles and it was extremely painful and long lasting.

But I am a little nervous about having a bad reaction. Though as far as I can remember I have never had a bad reaction to any other shot.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Both DH and I got this vaccine last year. First shot, arms were super sore for about three days. DH couldn’t even sleep on his and I swear mine was sore before the needle was even out of my arm. Second shot, still sore, but not quite as dramatic. Or we weren’t surprised so it didn’t seem as bad. At any rate, it was worse than any flu shot or the Covid vaccines, but the soreness was all we had as far as any side effects.

ETA - DH just reminder me that he had chills the next day, too, and spent some hours under a blanket on the couch, but he had his flu shot and the first shingles shot on the same day, so that might have been why.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so glad you asked this, because my doctor keeps telling me I need to get it, but I keep putting it off just because it's hard to clear time in case of reaction. Look forward to responses.
I’ve been doing the same dance. But I do have to get it done in time to be able to have it done before Vermont. I did have the earlier vaccine when I turned 60. So I am not without protection. However my PCD suggested getting the new one.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Got my shingrix vaccines over a year ago. First vaccine nothing but a slightly sore arm. Second vaccine two months later felt like I had the flu for 24 hours. Fever, chills, ache all over. Then poof it was gone.

newboots

Angel Diva
I can’t remember the specifics, but I do recall that the first shot kicked my butt a bit. Keeping some down time available is a good choice.

I was eager to get the vaxxed because I had known a woman who had shingles and it spread to one eye. It went blind. She lives in fear of shingles in the other eye. I didn’t mind the side effects!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BTW, my insurance covered both shots as was told by my MD to go to a pharmacy, as insurance would not pay for shot at the Dr office. Co pay was $20 each shot.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was eager to get the vaxxed because I had known a woman who had shingles and it spread to one eye. It went blind. She lives in fear of shingles in the other eye. I didn’t mind the side effects!
:eek:

My case of shingles in my 20s started on the side of my forehead. The worry was that it would spread into the optic nerve. Luckily that didn't happen. Ended up with a noticeable dent from the scar. The doctor even talked about plastic surgery. My mother's comment was "good thing you're already married." The area filled in over the next few years, so that became a non-issue. :smile:

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My eighth grade teacher was out for a couple of months. She definitely returned with scars on her face.

My MIL was also sick for a couple of months, but her skin was sensitive for a year. We couldn't even hug her.

We just got ours so will keep you posted.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly