• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shingrix vaccine

Christy

Angel Diva
I was told to get it at the pharmacy and had a $20 co pay each shot. Insurance won't pay at MD office for some strange reason. Also due for tetanus/whooping cough and was advised to go to pharmacy.....
Same. My doctor told me to just go to a pharmacy for the shingles shot. For whatever reason I was able to get tetanus and whooping cough from my doctor, though.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I’d recommend Shingrix to everybody!

Here’s my cautionary tale: I had shingles about 4 years ago, in my early 50s, and it was awful. The preliminary sign was a very sensitive scalp, to the point that it hurt to wash my hair. I had no idea what was going on. A few days later what I thought was a cold sore appeared near my mouth. Then it was game on. My doctor put me on an antiviral and pain killers, and told me that if I noticed blisters near my eyes, I had to immediately go to the ER (this all unfolded during the Thanksgiving break).

Blisters appeared on the nerve line along my jaw and didn’t go to my eyes— but to my left ear! Fortunately my hearing was not permanently affected (I had it checked later). My jaw was so painful that I could not chew and basically ate oatmeal, mashed potatoes, etc. for several days. I could only drink through a straw. The nerve pain was so intense that I couldn’t watch TV. Fortunately reading was fine so I got through several novels in a few days. The peak pain lasted maybe 4-5 days. It took much longer for the blisters to fully go away, and the OG left a small scar.

My doctor recommended I get Shingrix and I did. The first shot I had no reaction and the second I had chills for a few hours. Even if you have a more intense reaction, it still won’t be as bad as shingles.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had to pay for mine, although I got it at the pharmacy. Or was it the pneumovax that I had to pay for?

It was a couple years ago. Who can remember?
These days you probably don’t have to pay for a whole lot of anything! Being of the senior category! :wink:

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I take care of patients with the eye complications of shingles; they can be painful or blinding or both! I got the original Zostavax at age 52, and had to pay $250, since insurance only covered over 60. I tried to get Shingrix for 2 years, but there were supply issues at PCPs here in Comm of MA. Supply improved last Fall with CVS stocking and offering it, so I got it then figuring I’d get it out of the way, while waiting for Covid vax. Ophthalmic shingles can be forever and can be worse than any vaccine reaction.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I strongly recommend Shingrix.

It may not be altogether necessary for anyone younger who has had the chicken pox vaccine (mid 80's?), but for anyone else who had chicken pox, do it.

I had the precursor vaccine Zostavax at the recommended age. A few years later, you guessed it: shingles. Doctor told me, after the initial outbreak, the efficacy rate of the vaccine (60+-%) and that any occurrences would be mild.

Well, okay - maybe they are mild (for me). But they have recurred at least quarterly for at least 7 years - and that’s after both Shingrix vaccines. It can also be triggered by stress. (Anyone felt any stress these last 18 months? :eek:)

It is not a fun condition. My outbreaks are typically neck-up, so I have to watch my eyes carefully. Once afflicted, only anti-virals can help.

Get Shingrix. (I don’t recall having any side effects.)

altagirl

Staff member
These days you probably don’t have to pay for a whole lot of anything! Being of the senior category! :wink:
DH is over 50 and got his at the local pharmacy and it was free with insurance. They told me mine would be "expensive" out of pocket to get it earlier than age 50 but didn't clarify what that means.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
I got two vacs already. My boyfriend who is a doctor told me to get them.
The first one was okay. Just made me feel tired for a few days. The second one made me even more sleepy and tired, but just for a few days. No biggie.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got my Shingrix vaccine within days of qualifying and I’m a health care provider.

Know enough family and friend who suffered from post herpetic neuralgia which is the main sequela we’re trying to prevent anyway. With newer product and much better efficacy, I jumped at the opportunity because even the prior cost effectiveness analysis we studied in public health school from the 90’s, the data is quite compelling.

I don’t recall any reaction but I also have wimpy response to COVID shots. Am due for my third shot… will be 8 months in a week! I also want to to avoid becoming a long hauler. Acute infection should be mild but the whole host of long term sequelae is no joke.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I thought I had replied to this thread, but I don't see it. I also had shingles in my 40's, on my face. It was awful. My iris was also infected. It's not an experience I want to repeat (thankfully I didn't go blind, though!), so I got the vaccine as soon as I could. I also get wimpy reactions to vaccines. I was in bed for a full day with that one, but my arm wasn't sore! I was fine after the Covid shots, possibly because I had already had covid.

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm so glad you came through that with your eyesight intact!

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve heard enough horror stories of shingles that I could not wait to get the vaccine! I turned 50 in July - insurance wouldn’t cover it until then - and got my first shot in August. I had a sore arm but it didn’t last long. DH’s arm was pretty sore for a couple of days. I’ve heard the second shot can hit harder so I’m planning on doing that on a Friday or Saturday in November when the weather is too crappy to do anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna