• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Share Your Runs!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it might be fun to have a running thread in the same spirit as the Share your rides biking thread.

Yesterday a bunch of friends and I drove up to Bear Mountain to run UP Bear Mountain:
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/38434475

Pretty sure this qualifies as a hilly run by both east and west coast standards, right? :smile: (If not, god, I am never running out west. ;) ) The run itself was painful and slow, but the views were gorgeous and the hike down was a lot of fun. Hopefully some pictures are coming.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, that's hilly. Although it doesn't start at 5500 feet so you get more oxygen... Just kidding! Completing a run like that is hard no matter where it's done, way to go!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
awesome...I WANT A GARMIN...Two hours, hills, pretty much you kicked it Rachel, impressive.

I am into trail running----and have the scabs and scars to prove it--healing from a little fall last week on the Bonneville Shoreline. I will try to post a few when I get back.

Just ran Heartbreak Hill here----THE HUMIDITY KILLED ME, but hills seem easier for me at sea level.

Next time you're out this way, I'll take you on a few of my faves.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
dloveski you might check out Garmin's new Forerunner 110. Garmin for running rocks.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
awesome...I WANT A GARMIN...Two hours, hills, pretty much you kicked it Rachel, impressive.
QUOTE]

The funny thing about a Garmin is that you think, "Man, I can't wait to see how much I climbed, that was a tough run." Then you get home only to realize that you are a total wuss.

Or maybe I'm just projecting... :redface:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, Garmins are notoriously inaccurate when measuring elevation change. As evidence go out and run on a track some day and take a look at what it tells you.

Thank goodness I haven't decided I need an altimeter as well. :p

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I had known how badly I was going to suck during my race on Saturday, I would have taken my camera to document the course, because it was gorgeous! I ran the Slacker Half-marathon, which goes from Loveland ski area to Georgetown. Yep, 13 miles downhill. Well, mostly downhill. Some sadist decided that when you get into Georgetown at mile 12, you should be able to SEE the finish line a few blocks away, but just keep going and run through half the town. Uphill. Ouch. I was hoping for a PR, and I actually did take 2 minutes off of my 5 mile PR. Too bad it all went to hell in mile 6! I still managed to run my second fastest half-marathon, even spending a good bit of time walking. The scenery was gorgeous. By far the most beautiful race I've done. The first 5 miles are on a dirt fire road through the forest along Clear Creek, then the next 5 are on the frontage road next to I-70 and along the creek, then you come out onto a bike path between Silver Plume and Georgetown and run right along the Georgetown Loop railroad route. It was seriously painful, but I'd do it again, it was that beautiful! I really wish I had pictures, but my race photos actually turned out decent, for once. The first one (on dirt) is in the aforementioned mile 6 from hell and I never saw the photog. The others are from around mile 12 and I saw him coming, so I plastered a smile on even though I was miserable. :becky: https://www.fotojack.com/notice/1336/695/

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, Garmins are notoriously inaccurate when measuring elevation change. As evidence go out and run on a track some day and take a look at what it tells you.

Thank goodness I haven't decided I need an altimeter as well. :p

On the new Garmin connect site you can check a box that says something like "correct elevation data", and then it corrects the elevation data from the GPS where it differs from the map data. Really helpful.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, not nearly so impressive, but here's my run today.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/38762459

It was a beautiful day - low 70's, not too humid, a bit of a breeze, a wide dirt trail through the woods and around the reservoir, a nice view of Hartford (if you ignore the water treatment plant in the foreground) and of the reservoir. Had to dodge a flock of geese on the trail. They hissed at me, but fortunately didn't peck at my legs as I went by. :smile:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
This is where I usually run, along the east river:

4755401006_8562cfabfd.jpg

I didn't have my GPS last night, but the elevation map would look like this: :smile:

If I time it right, I can run down to the Brooklyn Bridge (which is conveniently located almost exactly 5k from my apartment) as the sun sets, then run back up under the lights. It's pretty amazing.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trail run this a.m. up Mill D in Big CC....early enough so that it was cool without other hikers/bikers----a solitary run along the creek and up towards Deso Lake.

milld.jpg

The steeps winded me (need to work on this) and my Suunto watch croaked---it's been croaking for a while---today it really croaked---it's finished, so HR was not monitored.

And so I've ordered a new one--in red:

https://www.suuntowatches.com/Suunto-t6.pro?gclid=CMjK3K371KICFQNigwodsiBCxg

hey, it's on sale. entertained a Garmin---but I have the Suunto pod, HRM, software----just need to replace the watch I won five or six years ago at the Outdoor Retailers Show---in a Suunto drawing---so I didn't pay a thing for five or six years of hard use.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really want to find more trails to run on, so much more fun than roads. I don't know that I'm ready for steeps (though I know I should work on that). Yesterday DH and I saw a guy running up Stratton and, then, when we were hiking down, we saw him ahead of us running down Upper Standard. Hiking up it is hard enough for me, I can't imagine running up it. It's really hot and humid here now, so, if I want to run tomorrow I better get out early.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly