• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Share your running advice and lessons learned

altagirl

Staff member
So I'm definitely getting more into running again after a really long hiatus (like 12 or 13 years where I didn't think my knees would ever allow me to run again). Anyway, a friend talked me into doing the Moab trail half marathon with her this fall (not until November so we have loads of time).

Unfortunately, it's pretty tough to keep a regular training schedule through the winter here - when the air quality is bad, it's generally counterproductive to do cardio (and I will say that I pretty much despise running on a treadmill...). But when the air is clear, I've been running. I ran 5 miles mostly on snowy/icy/slushy trails on Saturday, which felt surprisingly good, and 2.5 miles last night, which felt pretty easy.

I used to run a lot (way back when) and actually did a half marathon once before, but that was 15 years ago (eek!). I've been alternating between five fingers and brooks PureConnect/PureGrit barefoot style running shoes and did a video analysis thing for my shoe fitting and have a totally neutral fore/midfoot strike these days. (I totally used to be a heel striker the first time around, but my knees don't put up with that AT ALL anymore.)

And I've done a C25K program with an app on my phone and I'm now doing a 5K improver one (with miles added on at the end when I have time for more distance) to try and pick up my pace, which is pretty darned slow. Though I guess to be honest, I don't really care about my pace or time for the half marathon, I just want to feel good doing it and make the cutoff times (which should be no issue at all). Mostly doing it because I know those trails are gorgeous and it will be fun to do it with other people and not have to carry tons of water, etc.

Anyway, if you're a runner, tell me things that really helped you out, made your running more enjoyable... things to avoid or watch out for... whatever you'd share with someone getting back into it?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A new guy at work who is also Brooks certified running coach started a running group that meets 2x/week. I got involved, though I never thought of myself as a runner. I was super-consistent and pretty much turned my running/walking times around in a huge way. Then I got inconsistent (work, holidays, sloth). But today I got out there with the group again. [Timely thread!]

My "performance" wasn't as good as it was when I was consistent, but I don't feel like I totally sucked either. The main thing for me is that running really clears my head.

By the way, I bought the Brooks PureFlow running shoes and LOVE them.

Having a person like Ed, the coach, is a huge positive force. He's funny. G-on-Running.png

altagirl

Staff member
I might have to keep an eye out for groups like that. I know last time I was in Salt Lake Running Company they mentioned that they have groups and such...

And I love the Gollum pic. That's pretty much it, huh?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
love the Gollum pic. That's pretty much it, huh?
yessssss.

The place where I bought my shoes has a weekly run for anyone. I haven't done it yet, but they invite runners of all speeds and levels.

The coach, Ed, has us doing a plank-off too. I started at 20 sec, which is pathetic, and am up to 1 min 20 sec. Here's another sample from Ed's Deep Thoughts on Running...

"If you need a little inspiration check this guy out. (Former Marine and yes, Allysa K.. Another "Old Guy") 1:20:5 , yes that’s one HOUR. The world record for holding an abdominal plank. Just shy of his 54th birthday."

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
Wow, that's amazing!. I should really try actually working on planks - we do them in yoga all the time so I've basically got years of working on them under my belt, but not to failure. I'll admit that the weight training program I'm doing has like 1 minute plank included and I felt guilty just doing a minute, so I've been doing 2 minutes, but I'm lazy and quit as soon as I hit my goal... haha, which means I should be upping my goal but haven't felt like it.

The thing I HAVE been working on are planks with your feet up on a wall. Not like your toes resting on anything, but feet flat into a vertical wall with your toes a few inches off the ground. Which sounds like... a plank. But, you find instantly that you want to fall forward and have to use the fronts of your shoulders like crazy to press your feet back and hold yourself there. It's doing a lot to help me with yoga arm balances, but yeesh even getting both feet off the ground and holding it a couple breaths like that were a challenge at the start.

B

B.E.G.

I'm hopping onto this thread because I'm signed up for my first races (ever) this spring (10K in April, half-marathon in June).

I haven't formally started training. I do run 2-3 times a week, anywhere from 3-5 miles per run, though on a treadmill with the incline up (I love treadmill running because I read while I run on my iPad!). I figure I'll continue doing that for the 10K, then really train for the half.

One thing that has helped a LOT for me is that I also got into bar method/ballet barre workouts. Those types of isometric workouts focusing on core and quads have really toned and strengthened my body, and it helps a lot with running endurance (just less muscle fatigue).

Also, BF is a runner. He just ran his first marathon in under 3 hours, and I've been picking his brain. According to him, if you're looking at increasing speed, you should do intervals with the faster intervals being quite a bit faster than your usual pace, rather than incremental increases in speed.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me, varying my routes/terrain, or even running a route in reverse really helps with the mental fatigue, and of course, mixing up the distances (which should be happening in any training plan). I don't like group running, but it's really helpful for some people. I like having a friend -- doesn't even need to be local -- who is also training for the same race to check in with, egg each other on motivate each other, keep each other accountable, to be really helpful. Also, I like setting myself up for success: winter running is just not something that I like, so I just do maintenance running and don't train for anything in the spring. Instead, my goal races are in the (late) fall.

If you're just getting back into running, rebuilding your base will automatically lead to increasing speed. Once you have a base (determined by weekly mileage), you tailor the training program for the distance you're racing, "Couch to [insert race distance]" plans notwithstanding. In general, speedwork is the way to get faster regardless of race distance, but speedwork usually isn't a part of a training program until your base is ~15 mpw. Usually for longer distances, a speed workout is reps of 800s (which also predict your marathon finish time); for shorter distances it's often 400s and sometimes 200s.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, that's amazing!. I should really try actually working on planks - we do them in yoga all the time so I've basically got years of working on them under my belt, but not to failure. I'll admit that the weight training program I'm doing has like 1 minute plank included and I felt guilty just doing a minute, so I've been doing 2 minutes, but I'm lazy and quit as soon as I hit my goal... haha, which means I should be upping my goal but haven't felt like it.

The thing I HAVE been working on are planks with your feet up on a wall. Not like your toes resting on anything, but feet flat into a vertical wall with your toes a few inches off the ground. Which sounds like... a plank. But, you find instantly that you want to fall forward and have to use the fronts of your shoulders like crazy to press your feet back and hold yourself there. It's doing a lot to help me with yoga arm balances, but yeesh even getting both feet off the ground and holding it a couple breaths like that were a challenge at the start.
When you get good at wall planks you can move to your feet on a physio ball and your arms on an indo board. Not sure what that does for running but certainly adds some salsa to the mix.

altagirl

Staff member
When you get good at wall planks you can move to your feet on a physio ball and your arms on an indo board. Not sure what that does for running but certainly adds some salsa to the mix.

I'll have to try that. I've done them with my feet on a ball before, but that's easy. I have a wobble board at home, so I'll have to try arms on that with feet on the ball...

altagirl

Staff member
For me, varying my routes/terrain, or even running a route in reverse really helps with the mental fatigue, and of course, mixing up the distances (which should be happening in any training plan). I don't like group running, but it's really helpful for some people. I like having a friend -- doesn't even need to be local -- who is also training for the same race to check in with, egg each other on motivate each other, keep each other accountable, to be really helpful. Also, I like setting myself up for success: winter running is just not something that I like, so I just do maintenance running and don't train for anything in the spring. Instead, my goal races are in the (late) fall.

If you're just getting back into running, rebuilding your base will automatically lead to increasing speed. Once you have a base (determined by weekly mileage), you tailor the training program for the distance you're racing, "Couch to [insert race distance]" plans notwithstanding. In general, speedwork is the way to get faster regardless of race distance, but speedwork usually isn't a part of a training program until your base is ~15 mpw. Usually for longer distances, a speed workout is reps of 800s (which also predict your marathon finish time); for shorter distances it's often 400s and sometimes 200s.

Yeah, one of my coworkers is a more serious runner than I am, but he's good for motivation. He's trying to talk me into doing a 5k with him this weekend because he needs to do one for his training plan. I'm not too sure about that... But either way it is nice for motivation to have someone to compare notes with!

And I'm with you - I actually really like winter running, but only when we have clean air, which is really unpredictible (and supposed to be disgusting again by this weekend). So it's pretty hard to actually train for anything during the winter.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll have to try that. I've done them with my feet on a ball before, but that's easy. I have a wobble board at home, so I'll have to try arms on that with feet on the ball...
You can mix it up too and pull the ball in with your legs like a crunch and do push ups to or mountain climbers also. I noticed a yoga section on the indo board web site, I didn't look at it but that might be up your alley also. I love the endo board.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna