• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Share your rides during the summer

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since its off season here, and approaching off season in most parts (no disrespect intended for our divas who live in winter while we're in summer)

I'd like to start this off season regular ride night thread, to celebrate the divas and mr divas who get together regularly to ride.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wednesday night is RIDE night!

I'll start with our Michigan Ride night after work every week on Wednesday's which takes place at Cadillac Pathways.
This is an intermediate trail with some advanced sections, mostly sandy rooted up and lots of hard woods.

Last Wed night was a weird funk night for me but Volklgirl was on her game.
I was having some kind of camera issue but it straightened out enough to get a few fuzzy shots.
I hung back to get this shot of the three of them heading into the hard woods.
Kris, Beckey and Jen
n830505017_3116619_9922.jpg

Kris doin her thing over a small log pile.
(on her single speed)
n830505017_3116618_9574.jpg

Becky on the same logs
n830505017_3116617_9233.jpg

Acrophobia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope to be posting here soon - I just bought a shiny new MTB. Had to order it - allegedly it will be in stock next week. Can't wait!

...and, as a roadie, I'm sure I will be hopping off and walking it over tiny little piddling sticks and pebbles in the road...:redface:

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
TR: Switcback clinic at Arastrodero

Had a great time at the Switchback clinic last night!

There were 3 leaders (Al, Jamii, and Patrick) and 10 students. We started by doing a couple laps on a hill, warming up our muscles and giving the leaders a chance to observe our riding form and style. In between the laps, Al gave some tips on form.

Next, we did a tight turn drill and reviewed trackstands in the dirt parking lot to prepare for the meat of the clinic. We road to another part of the park that has some steep switchbacks and split into two groups.

Group A stayed on the fireroad to work on trackstands, while Group B headed up the singletrack to work on switchbacks. Then we traded.

Trackstands: We worked on using the front brake while feathering the back, racheting our pedals, and looking straight ahead instead of our our front tire. Then we had some Slow Races! Who could get to the finish last! Next, we put a water bottle in the middle of the trail and rode by it very slow while trying to bend down and touch is with our hand.

Switchbacks: Patrick found a switchback with interesting contour to for us to work on. We talked about reading the switchback, picking a line, using our eyes to lead us through, pedal placement, and choosing a gear. Then each road the switchback a couple few times with coaching and cheering.

Next, we all headed the rest of the way up the singletrack to practice more switchbacks... and trackstands when we got backed up.

Then, of course, we headed back down those same switchbacks and had lots of opportunity to practice trackstands again as we watched the person in front of us take the corner.

We finished of the night by heading over to a little family owned pizza parlor to refuel and talk more bikes and technique.

Oh, and one of the best parts of the whole night was on the drive home when hubby said, "Okay, I'll throw you a bone... I had a good time!"

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Arastradero Part 2

We headed back to Arastradero again Saturday afternoon, the place w/ the little natural bike park mid-ride.

After some gentle uphill for the first couple miles, we turn off on a singletrack that is known for it's tough switchbacks. Some say there are 5 switchbacks, others say there are 6... I lose count, as I'm too busy trying to get oxygen to my lungs, keeping my inside elbow in, and micromanaging my front tire to actually complete the turn and not ride into the cliff on the outside! These babies are tiiiight. haha

Another half mile or so from the top of the switchbacks and we are at the little bike park with drop-ins, a table top, some jumps, and a steep banked curve. My new elbow/arm guards gave me enough courage to try the next two features: a steeper drop-in and the steep banked curve. :ski2:

The most mellow of the drop-ins let's you swoop up to the top of this table top. Some folks can catch air at the top of the table, but I just do a little pause at the top or get my front wheel up a little. I'll need to get a running start at the drop-in to get much more than that... But, it is a table top and off the other side is a single track that wraps up around it and then below that is a steep embankment that goes down about 50+ feet through waist-high prickly weeds and rocks and snakes, so I'll keep it mellow for now. :p hahah

Anyway, had a great time and Mr. C seemed to like the bike park the best out of the whole ride and did all the same features. :becky: In fact, he even did the steeper drop-in and the banked curve before me!

After the bike park, it's a relaxing rolling downhill ride to complete the loop back to the car. Enough to really enjoy youself and hit all the corners nicely, but not so steep that your butt is hanging over the back tire. hehe :love:

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am off the bike for a few days. My front derailer got bent somehow and when I was on my Saturday ride I was trying to climb in the middle chain ring. I did alright for most of it, but at one point I was really chugging up the hill until I just could not peddle anymore. So the parts are ordered (new chain, new front derailer (sp?), new rear cassette). The new parts will also shave about a pound off my bike weight. (if I got a new wheel set, I could shave another ~2 pounds off the bike).

I am dying to get out there and practice some of my new "tricks".

Connie: I would LOVE to be able to try a switchback clinic! I definitely need some tips on descending tight switchbacks and getting up them!

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sheena, I think you would have enjoyed it! Here are a few of my take aways:

1. Practice your trackstands, slow riding skills, etc. They pay off here, especially if you are riding with other people and are not the leader.

2. On the cornering, tuck your inside elbow in. This can make or break that tight turn. This is the one item that was new to me. Maybe I did it without thinking of it, but maybe not.

3. Picking your line is even more important if your switchback is.. not sure of the word, but I'll say "off cantor". That is, as you are climbing, the outside of the switchback actually slopes back down to the outside. In this case, you've got to pick a line as far inside as you need to to stay on a slope coming down to the inside. If you pick a line that is off cantor, you will turn the wrong way.

4. Everyone's favorite, look where you want your wheel to go. So, the first part of your switchback you are riding it slow and are looking just a little in front of your wheel... staring like a mad woman on the exact spot you want you tire to go. As you reach the peak of the corner and your front wheel is starting to come around, now you lift your eyes and focus up the trail 10 feet or so and continue the power. Even if your tire was heading towards the wall, it will magically come around and you are on your way to the next one. :yahoo:

5. And, of course, there is the forward-back balance to keep enough weight on your back tire that you aren't slipping, but still enough on the front tire so you can steer around the corner.

And, that's it. For me, #2, 3 and 4 are the ones that I have to be more intentional with.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It has to be said!
worthless.gif

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, sorry about the lack of photos... I'm skipping those lately as part of my "get hubby addicted" plot. When I pull out the camera, he's like, "Really? sigh..." and looks bored. :cool:

Maybe later on...

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So the parts are ordered (new chain, new front derailer (sp?), new rear cassette). The new parts will also shave about a pound off my bike weight. (if I got a new wheel set, I could shave another ~2 pounds off the bike).

Hey chica, what front deraileur and rear cassette are you getting?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wednesday night is RIDE NIGHT!
Last night promised to be a dreary dismal night. I really felt like going home from work, and settling in with my fluffy robe and a bowl of popcorn.
But Noooooooooo, Volklgirl came to my house and picked my sorry butt up!
We rode somewhat moderately, but on a longer trail that we'd been doing on our usual Wed night rides.
I took a few pics, as did she, but I'm only allowed to post one of the pics I have. :laugh:
n830505017_3228693_8943.jpg

Thanks Volklgirl!

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Arastradero Part 3

Awesome ride tonight back at our new regular Thursday Night place, Arastradero!

My new move at the bike park tonight: bit the bullet and added a bunny hop at that top of the table-top.

Again, not me or anyone I know, but this pic is the table top with some guy doing a manual or wheelie at the top, instead of a bunny hop.

https://www.mtbguru.com/images/cache/pics/b4/6b0679cc193402639b2f211a94b7cb8c350735.regular.JPEG

Hubby did the punch bowl, which I haven't tried yet. I'll let you know more about it when I do.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Arastradero Bowl

Okay, I just couldn't resist anymore... here's a youtube video of the Arastradero Punch Bowl. Since it's hard to really appreciate how steep it is on the other side in the video, I chose one of someone not making it up.. :laugh: The ultimate goal, as I was told, is to make it all the way across and up the other side without pedalling... of couse, I did not let DH in on this secret and told him to pedal like crazy on the flat. :becky:

DH made it up the first two times, then I headed over to the bike park, thinking he was behind me. After I got to the bike park, I noticed that he wasn't behind me. Turned out he turned back around to try some more Punch Bowl and the other guy that was there left, so he was all alone... He did have a little experience like this guy on youtube, but imagine that when he stalls half way up, he can't get his foot out of the pedal... I'm glad he wasn't hurt, 'cause it would have been another 45 minutes before we headed back over there.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPCN-7nFgf4&feature=related"]YouTube - Arastradero bowl plunge Enric 1[/ame]

Yeah, he didn't tell me about his mishap until the way home.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That looks very similar to the crater at Novi Tree Farm, although we ride it the other way around so we're going down the huge steepness. It's one of my favorite features there. I'll re-post the pics from last year's BARF when I do my TR from this weekend.

More pics from our Wednesday ride (sorry about the bluriness....I last had the camera set on Landscape and didn't remember to set it back to Sports):

SnowHot slogging up Calf Cramper Climb:

And rockin' the logs:

And me on the logs:

There were more pics, but I'm being nice and not posting them :wink::laugh:

abc

Banned
Arastradero Bowl...

No, the vidoe doesn't do it justice. However, being there doesn't do it either. One simply need to TRY IT to understand it.

But once one figure out the issue: a bowl which gets steeper near the lip, it's not all that hard. There're two ways of doing it: pick a high gear and build a lot of speed from the flat and lower part. Or, pick a gear that allows good propulsion NEAR THE LIP! I found the second option works better. In that case, pedaling on the flat or not is not really the issue. (not pedaling the whole way AT ALL is impossible, it violates the laws of physics)

On the other hand, NOT braking on the way down (pretty steep) IS important! :smile:

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey VG, cool pics! Looking forward to your TR this weekend.

ABC, yeah, the video looks a little pathetic. So, the guys that were attempting it "without pedaling" do cheat a little to get past the whole physics issue. They start half way up the hill between the Bowl and the terrain park (aka Little Bowl) and allow themselves to pedal until the official "top" of the drop into the bowl.

Do you like the little bowl? I've been having a blast there the last few weeks. :becky:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Conni, nice Video.

There were more pics, but I'm being nice and not posting them :wink::laugh:
VG, You'll appreciate that I didn't post ALL of my pics too! :eyebrows:
I expect a FULL TR of your weekend!!!
*Found it! :smile:

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tonight I don't ride...

:( Sadly, tonight's group ride just got cancelled due to all the smoke from the local fires. :mad2: And, I even packed my camera this morning without any comments from DH! sigh... We've avoided certain locations in the past weeks, but this is the first time we've actually cancelled the whole ride.

The last couple days, the whole area, including inside my office, smells slightly like a burnt out campfire or when a candle gets blown out. Also, the sun was a very brilliant red last night and this morning from the smoke. We can look right into the sun without a problem, which is not really a good thing.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:( Sadly, tonight's group ride just got cancelled due to all the smoke from the local fires. :mad2: And, I even packed my camera this morning without any comments from DH! sigh... We've avoided certain locations in the past weeks, but this is the first time we've actually cancelled the whole ride.

The last couple days, the whole area, including inside my office, smells slightly like a burnt out campfire or when a candle gets blown out. Also, the sun was a very brilliant red last night and this morning from the smoke. We can look right into the sun without a problem, which is not really a good thing.

That's a bummer Connie. Hope the fires die down soon.:(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna