• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Share your best fitness tip, pose, exercise, activity

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like that shoulder needs to calm down. What about lightening up the weight on the deadlifts but increasing the reps or sets?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I found this video back in 2012 of using the BOSU for ski prep. The exercises were presented in Fall 2011 as part of dry land training for patrollers. Turns out there is a NSP-C Western Region Women's Clinic annually. I'm guessing that's where it was presented because Judy Hill is active in that organization.

I do this with my personal trainer!!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like that shoulder needs to calm down. What about lightening up the weight on the deadlifts but increasing the reps or sets?

Yeah, I'm going to experiment tonight after work.

newboots

Angel Diva
I've been using the Bosu ball a lot, and the fronts of my ankles/feet are aching. I think it might be all the work that part of my feet are doing on the Bosu. Laying off for a couple of days to see what happens.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've been using the Bosu ball a lot, and the fronts of my ankles/feet are aching. I think it might be all the work that part of my feet are doing on the Bosu. Laying off for a couple of days to see what happens.
I have weak-ish ankles and the Bosu ball will supposedly help strengthen but meanwhile I get what you're saying.

newboots

Angel Diva
Mine have both been sprained. This is a new and very specific pain, and I have been on that Bosu a LOT. They are feeling better and I'm going to vary my exercise more, and do the Bosu a little. I need help with balance, so I was probably overdoing it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I saw my trainer last night at the gym, while he was teaching someone else. He pointed me to the "trap bar," which is this weird hexagonal thing you stand inside of to do the deadlift. It changes the angles and seems to help. But not until I did two sets the "normal" way that I probably should not have. I tried to explain that it only hurt a LITTLE while I was doing it, but he was not impressed with that logic. Good trainer.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mine have both been sprained. This is a new and very specific pain, and I have been on that Bosu a LOT. They are feeling better and I'm going to vary my exercise more, and do the Bosu a little. I need help with balance, so I was probably overdoing it.
Have you seen the 1-leg balance video I've posted a few times? Doing that a few times a day for 3-4 min makes a difference after a few weeks . . . or months. I do easy variations when waiting around on line in the grocery store or wherever. Just shifting weight all the way from one foot to another is helpful too, while both feet stay on the ground. Got that concept from Taichi.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks! I do this, too, and the line at the grocery store is one of my favorite spots.

I tried the Bosu today after taking a rest, stupidly doing a little bouncing and jumping. Ankle pain! This was almost certainly the source of the pain. Off the Bosu for now, and I'll be back to simpler exercises and more variation when the pain quits.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Bosu today after taking a rest, stupidly doing a little bouncing and jumping. Ankle pain! This was almost certainly the source of the pain. Off the Bosu for now, and I'll be back to simpler exercises and more variation when the pain quits.

I'm right there with you (having to avoid exercises that cause pain) =/

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm right there with you (having to avoid exercises that cause pain) =/

I often hurt myself exercising. It got so bad that I only let a physical therapist/personal trainer teach me exercises. I wish she was here! This Bosu issue was simply having the ball right here, and standing on it whenever it occurred to me, rocking, standing on one foot, etc. I overdid it, for sure. I need to plan and take it seriously.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I often hurt myself exercising. It got so bad that I only let a physical therapist/personal trainer teach me exercises. I wish she was here! This Bosu issue was simply having the ball right here, and standing on it whenever it occurred to me, rocking, standing on one foot, etc. I overdid it, for sure. I need to plan and take it seriously.

Can you have your PT (either type) assign you a full workout, not just teach you exercises?

newboots

Angel Diva
Can you have your PT (either type) assign you a full workout, not just teach you exercises?

:confused: I moved away. :cry:

This is why I hike. I never hurt myself hiking. It's good exercise. And now, I can do it in my back yard! Weather permitting.

I have been thinking about making an appointment with her, just to figure this out. Two-hour drive, probably worth it!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just shifting weight all the way from one foot to another is helpful too, while both feet stay on the ground.
One of the exercises Physical Therapist put on my list to do daily..

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:confused: I moved away. :cry:

This is why I hike. I never hurt myself hiking. It's good exercise. And now, I can do it in my back yard! Weather permitting.

I have been thinking about making an appointment with her, just to figure this out. Two-hour drive, probably worth it!

Especially if you can communicate your goals to her ahead of time ... good physical therapists and personal trainers aren't exactly common, IMO.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Workouts & injuries from over the years....
1. Zumba - working up a sweat doing salsa and merengue was so fun, but my too-casual shoes led to shin splints (so ouchy)
2. TRX - too enthusiastic skater jumps led to aggravating an old MCL knee injury (nooooo!)
3. Pilates - pushing myself--too much too soon--led to a sore back (nothing permanent but dang uncomfortable)
4. Karate - 1:1 sparring with contact led to too many bruises and bang-ups

Solutions/lessons learned:
1. New shoes
2. Avoid high impact - I hate to say it, but getting real, something's gotta give when one is my age and overweight
3. Respect my limitations and build on my strength
4. Quitting, after getting an orange belt

I do 30-35 min cardio, strength, balance/flexibility workouts at home 5 days/week, and I go to a reformer Pilates class once/week. I know I'd push myself harder with a personal trainer or in a small group semi-private training, but there's the $$ cost and I agree with @bounceswoosh - the quality of personal trainers varies greatly.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know I'd push myself harder with a personal trainer or in a small group semi-private training, but there's the $$ cost and I agree with @bounceswoosh - the quality of personal trainers varies greatly.

FWIW -

I was using a personal trainer through the PT office because it's covered by insurance. That's much cheaper than my regular personal trainer's rate of $85/hr.

BUT.

My regular personal trainer has a lot of different disciplines, not just workout. And today, using his MAT toolkit, he identified some of the sources of my knee pain while skiing (I was able to replicate it on a bosu, so he was able to see exactly what was going on) and ... improved it drastically with some physical manipulations. Stuff PTs don't evaluate or work on.

I have a few exercises to strengthen small muscles (the key is to do the exercises very gently so that you don't end up using big muscles to "help"). I'm optimistic. Of course, I've been through a lot of cycles of optimism and depression with this recovery. While I will never know for sure, I suspect I would have been a lot better off going back to Chris as soon as I was cleared to ski, or at least at 9 months when I was cleared to do everything, rather than continuing to try to work with the PT office.

It was a revelation when I realized I don't actually have to see Chris every week (too expensive!) - he'll see me on a less frequent basis and give me stuff to work on in the meantime. But he's never in a rush, he *listens*, and he just seems to be much more oriented toward getting me where I want to be, and capable of getting me there.

altagirl

Staff member
I started doing boxing classes a few weeks ago, which has been a killer workout. Though, like many (maybe most) things, I can overdo it. I was feeling so great I went three days in a row last week and now my neck and shoulders are kind of stiff. Go figure.

That said, I love yoga and such and I think the boxing is great cross training for explosive/ power type movements instead of everything slow and controlled.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
improved it drastically with some physical manipulations. Stuff PTs don't evaluate or work on
This is exactly what my chiropractor does... They call it Sports chirotherapy. Actually I just got back a few minutes ago. The "treatment" or manipulations actually kind of hurt, but I have gotten so much relief (especially with the back pain). And my knee is quite a bit better but I chock that up to cycling, leg presses, leg curls, abduction, adduction and weekly personal training...
https://santacruzcore.com/services/chiropractic/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly